45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

As good as it looks, there will be compromises to allow an operational jib and hook.

However, I wonder how many times this feature will be used and will it, in the end, turn out to be an expensive gimmick?

Will modellers wish that Bachmann had foregone the need for operation, ignored the compromises and produced the definitive vehicle, at a reduced cost? After all, it will spend almost all of its life in a siding, just looking good.

Alternatively, Bachmann could have gone the whole hog and included a giraffe's head that ducked down as it went under a bridge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 4

19 hours ago, paul 27 said:

May be I should have rephrased it and said which type of cranes would be seen apart from the Gorton one,

any links or pictures shown in the area during the sixties steam era.

Hi Paul,

Here are a few examples that I have managed to dig up,

• Newton Heath's crane between 1965-79 was the LNER/SR/MOS Ramsome Rapier that had previously been at Gorton Between 1943-61 and also a BR Std 30ton from 1964-68.
  • Holbeck's cranes were a Ransome Rapier ex LMS 36/40 ton between 1939-78 with a Craven 25 ton from 1960-61.
  • Longsight had a BR Std 30 ton between 1965-73.
  • Wigan had a Ransome Rapier LMS 30 ton from 1962-65 followed by a BR Std 30 ton from 1967-68.
  • Wakefield had an LNER 45 ton bogie crane 1966-67.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Paul,

Here are a few examples that I have managed to dig up,

• Newton Heath's crane between 1965-79 was the LNER/SR/MOS Ramsome Rapier that had previously been at Gorton Between 1943-61 and also a BR Std 30ton from 1964-68.
  • Holbeck's cranes were a Ransome Rapier ex LMS 36/40 ton between 1939-78 with a Craven 25 ton from 1960-61.
  • Longsight had a BR Std 30 ton between 1965-73.
  • Wigan had a Ransome Rapier LMS 30 ton from 1962-65 followed by a BR Std 30 ton from 1967-68.
  • Wakefield had an LNER 45 ton bogie crane 1966-67.

Gibbo.

Newton Heath's crane was RS1083/45, R&R 4991 of 1942. Tare weight 105.4.1, Max speed 45 MPH.

Holbeck's crane was DE331159, ex LMS RS1004. Built R&R 1931 as 36T and later upgraded to 40T.

Longsight's 30T crane was RS1090, CS 1961.

Springs Branch had RS1087/30 of 1961.

The Wakefield crane was DE330107, built CS 1926, later at Healey Mills

• Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, AGR Model Store said:

Sorry, I need information if possible please.

I'm planning on buying the early black version of the crane, would 'York' or 'Middlesbrough' of had one these ? and if so what number etc please.

Sorry if its been asked before

No, neither York nor Middlesborough ever had an R&R 45 tonner.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, AGR Model Store said:

Any in the north east area ?

To be honest if you want a decent breakdown crane on your layout that is ready to run think this one will be the only option for many years.  

Personally I would have preferred a cowens sheldon but I'm going with the Bachmann one 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

One question, how are the relieving bogies fixed to the main carriage? 

It's an interesting coupling that works well (on our 2nd radius S bends) as well as keeping the look of the prototype. Hopefully this explanation makes sense:

The lower coupling (the red circle) uses a pin and loop system (the loop is on the red part of the crane chassis, the pin is on the relieving bogie) that actually couples the vehicles. The top part (in the green circle) is mainly cosmetic and doesn't have a pin or a loop on it, but does limit the vertical travel of the coupling, stopping the vehicles coming apart if they pass over a particularly violent bump in the track - however it doesn't prohibit all vertical movement so they will be fine running on gradients and bumpy track.

49203241353_a7a7c40062_b.jpg

Crane coupling by Derails Models, on Flickr

Hope that helps?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

The genius of this coupling is that the crane still looks correct with the RB disconnected, and the RB looks almost correct, and yet the coupling is still both practical and functional. 

The review in BRM is very positive, even though the reviewer is confused with some of the terminology and history.  The review closes with the assessment "This is probably the most detailed and impressive piece of rolling stock we have seen for the UK market and really does push many boundaries. Bachmann is to be congratulated... ", a sentiment with which I have to agree.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Rick_Skateboard said:

Apologies if there's already been a list of allocations on this thread. Were there any of these cranes in the Scottish Highlands? I've seen a picture of the Inverness crane, but I think that was a Cowans 75 tonner. Basically, I'm looking for an excuse to buy one!

Cheers,

Rick

Sadly not, the furthest north one would be the Gorton example, I've gone with the red one, which was western region. 

57 minutes ago, Rick_Skateboard said:

Apologies if there's already been a list of allocations on this thread. Were there any of these cranes in the Scottish Highlands? I've seen a picture of the Inverness crane, but I think that was a Cowans 75 tonner. Basically, I'm looking for an excuse to buy one!

Cheers,

Rick

Hi Rick,

Examples of Scottish allocated cranes are:

• C&S LMS/MOS 30 ton 1941
  • C&S NB 36 ton 1914
  • C&S LNER 36 ton 1936
  • C&S LNER 45 ton 1940 (Hornby Dublo JIB too short, Jib runner inaccurate)
  • C&S CR/HR 15 ton 1892 (Early type)
  • C&S CR/GRWR/MR/NER 15 ton 1893 (Standard type)
  • C&S NB 36 ton 1914
  • C&S LNER 45 ton 1926

As you may note Cowans Sheldon were quite popular in Scotland with Ransome Rapier mostly being used by the Great Western and Southern Railways with the LNER keeping most of theirs in England.

Gibbo.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rick_Skateboard said:

Cheers,

Rick

Inverness had a 30T crane in BR days, RS1066, built by Cowans Sheldon in 1941.

10 hours ago, scots region said:

Sadly not, the furthest north one would be the Gorton example, I've gone with the red one, which was western region. 

I believe the red on carries the number RS1097 which makes it the Saltley based crane - it was ex WR No.17 but, depending when it was transferred to the LM, it was probably black in WR days. Rule 1 always applies of course.