45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, russ p said:

Any sign of the red one yet?

The Bachmann Availability dated from the 9th says that it's in-stock, so I would assume you'll see them pre-Christmas :)

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been told in the past that I have the patience of an angry rhino that's absolutely wired. But I was rather hoping to get mine in time for my birthday (sunday), never mind, I know it'll be worth the wait!

It looks stunning and I'll struggle to wait until monday!

Hi Folks,

I have just started a new thread for all things crane related including tool and riding vans along with other equipment. By all means share your crane models, especially the Bachmann crane on the thread including additions, modifications and other detail specifications.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Picked up the red crane today and to say i'm disappointed is an understatement, read the instructions first and then proceeded to lower the jib, after an hour I gave up as by then the jib had only loward about 75 % and all the cabling was a tangled mess, I will more than likely take it back and ask for a refund, I was so looking forward to having this on my layout, I know its very early days, but has anyone had the same sort of problem ?

• Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, Brian Hawkins said:

Picked up the red crane today and to say i'm disappointed is an understatement, read the instructions first and then proceeded to lower the jib, after an hour I gave up as by then the jib had only loward about 75 % and all the cabling was a tangled mess, I will more than likely take it back and ask for a refund, I was so looking forward to having this on my layout, I know its very early days, but has anyone had the same sort of problem ?

Sounds like the rigging has an issue. Definitely worth taking it back and looking at another one in the shop if you want a replacement. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Brian Hawkins said:

Well, on the SR version I have, when I tried to lower the jib, I was in the same situation as yourself. However, I then reread the instructions. They state to lower the hook first a little bit, so I then lowered the hook about half an inch. The jib then lowered right down without any problems.

I hope you can get a replacement and enjoy running it and working it.

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Market65 said:

Well, on the SR version I have, when I tried to lower the jib, I was in the same situation as yourself. However, I then reread the instructions. They state to lower the hook first a little bit, so I then lowered the hook about half an inch. The jib then lowered right down without any problems.

Rob.

This does make sense - with the jib raised the string is not parallel to the arm of the crane, rather it forms the shortest side of an obtuse triangle. As the arm is lowered this side gets progressively longer so you need to lower the hook to provide more string to lengthen it.

https://geometryhelp.net/obtuse-triangle/

Edited by phil-b259

20 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Rob.

Hi Rob,

The two cranes I worked upon, a Cowans Sheldon 75 ton and a Cravens 50 ton had white marks painted on the hoist cable so that the block could be placed in the correct position for lowering the jib onto the jib runner. The reasons for this are two fold, first, if there is too much slack then the cables may drop away from the sheaves when stowed which may cause trouble should they not re-engage next time the crane is used, or second, the block will bind with the under side of the head of the jib causing damage to the attachment to the jib head and also the splice on the end of the cable that engages the shackle there.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I intended to buy the early BR version but noticed that a recent magazine review stated the crane is recommended for 3rd radius curves or greater.  I contacted my preferred supplier who confirmed this is the case, but the model may negotiate 2nd radius, although there could be de-railing problems.

I wasn't prepared to risk spending over £200 on a vehicle that might well not run on my layout (2nd radius minimum) so I won't be buying one.  A great shame, as it clearly is an excellent looking model; but it's got to work as well.

Has anyone out there had problems with running the crane on less than 3rd radius curves?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, russ p said:

Had a little play 

DSC_0297.JPG

DSC_0296.JPG

Hi Russ,

I would have a word with the crane foreman as he hasn't used what may be termed best practice for the lift being undertaken.

The cranes lift duty is listed below:

• Radius    Propped    Free on rail
  • 20'          45 tons       15 tons
  • 30'          25 tons       8 tons
  • 40'          16 tons       4.5 tons

If you are to go to the trouble of the removal of the Stokes bogies then why not bring the crane end on to the locomotive leaving the rear Stokes bogie in place to allow the crane to be moved by another locomotive, it is always easier and safer than travelling the crane under its own power. Should the Crane foreman do this he will be in a position to the lift the locomotive in its entirety in just one lift at the given radius knowing that an 03 has a mass of 30 tons.

The lift could easily be achieved end on over the carriage with the Stokes bogie in place and still be well within the required duty at a radius of 30'-40', this will however require two lifts. Two lifts is extra work and extra time and would be unlikely as the time to remove and later replace one of the Stokes bogies will be a time saving and also allow for a more stable lift.

Either way, the positioning of the crane in relation to the derailed locomotive will require a slew and a derricking in of the jib rather than a slew and a derricking out of the jib as your crane is positioned within the photographs shewn. Derricking out with a load on the block is a dodgy trick as once past the point of stability you will have to send for another even bigger crane, some scrap wagons and very probably some cutting gear to make the pieces small enough to handle. 

A tape measure is a most important piece of the crane foreman's kit as is also one of the reasons all railway vehicles have their tare and loaded weights marked upon them.

Something else you will have to account for is super elevation of the track as this will affect the lift duty of the crane and in some cases preclude the use of a crane until the elevation track has been reduced. I have a feeling that 2" of elevation is generally the maximum allowed or otherwise the pendular action of the jib may overcome the slewing brake when loaded, see above note on derricking.

Just for laughs here, but in a past career, I've been there, seen it, done it and on occasion nearly had to change my underpants !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Our crane at thornaby they tended to take the stokes bogies off and place them off the track.

I was on the job in the early 90s at Ryhope Grange where the crane went over lifting an MGR

Something I will never forget was seeing the job hit the ground and a shock wave going along it and the lettering cowens sheldon all warping! 

• Friendly/supportive 3

3 minutes ago, russ p said:

Our crane at thornaby they tended to take the stokes bogies off and place them off the track.

I was on the job in the early 90s at Ryhope Grange where the crane went over lifting an MGR

Something I will never forget was seeing the job hit the ground and a shock wave going along it and the lettering cowens sheldon all warping! 

Hi Russ,

Ouch ! I've worked with a C&S 75 ton, we never did anything until the girders were out and it was securely packed.

Metal spaghetti is one thing, bolognese is quite another.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Russ,

Ouch ! I've worked with a C&S 75 ton, we never did anything until the girders were out and it was securely packed.

Metal spaghetti is one thing, bolognese is quite another.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo, thankfully no one got hurt in the incident,  as my loco was blocked in by the stricken crane I got an early finish 

Russ

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Collected my red version from CMC yesterday. What a stunning model - even SWMBO was impressed. Mind you only  got it in under the radar on the basis that it was paid for by previously earned credits...

The etched plates are stunning - look suspiciously like the work of a certain extremely etched outfit...!

5A63E8CD-5FDE-4A31-9D7E-40E4F6C5F024.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
Photo added
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/12/2019 at 21:06, Brian Hawkins said:

On 16/12/2019 at 22:27, Market65 said:

Rob.

Can the original poster confirm they lowered the hook a bit first as instructed. If not it would not  be surprising that the jib cables ended up as a tangled mess as continuing the wind the jib would introduce a huge amount of slack in the system.

If they did release the hook, then yes this is clearly an assembly issue, although my guess is that the cranes would have to be correctly wound/positioned after rigging, so it would have been fine when it left the factory.

• Like 1