45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

One modification I want to do to my BR black example is add the additional water tank to the rear relieving bogie. From pictures I can tell its footprint is the same as the tread plate fitted to the bogies and nothing more.

I live fairly close by to the Bluebell so a measuring visit isn't off the cards but does anyone with more knowledge have any more information regarding this additional tank? 

On 30/12/2019 at 13:54, The Stationmaster said:

Very pertinently to the Bachmann R&R crane the Old Oak Common crane went over on a re-railing job near Uffington on the GWML back in the early 1960s while clearing up after a major derailment of short wheelbase wagons. Another crane (possibly No.19 the Swindon 45 tonner?)  went over on the same job and both could be seen capsized - which made the newspapers in a few photos.  They had only been lifting wagons but in some cases probably at maximum radius as the wagons had gone down the embankment.  The Willesden crane was one of the two called out to recover them.

Do you have any pictures, or links/references to this incident please? They'd be much appreciated.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, craneman said:

I have noted earlier in this thread that on the whole the extension chimneys on the 45-ton R&R cranes were seldom used

It was used most times on the Brighton crane (ADRR95210/DS1561) when I worked there in the early 1980s (no OLE to worry about of course).

I received my SR Crane today, and a very very fine specimen it is!

49321117632_9ab4abe5ed_h.jpg

49320410273_949ed83458_h.jpg

Is anyone to give any more detailed information about what specific vehicles were in this specific breakdown trains (1561S) formation? Or, where I would be able to find this information myself, I've flicked through 'Service stock of the SR' - Oakwood, but (unless i'm not looking hard enough) can't find anything specific, or conclusive, just general information.

I did create my own thread in the SR group if it's easier to reply there

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150419-southern-breakdown-train-vehicles-1561s-stafftoolmess-vans/

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, TerryBewdley said:

Has anyone weathered one of these cranes if so could you post some pics please?

Terry

Refer to Stratford 47's photos on page 32 of this thread.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, craneman said:

Do you have any pictures, or links/references to this incident please? They'd be much appreciated.

At least one picture appeared in a newspaper at the time but I'm not sure if I kept a copy of it and I'm not sure where nmy old press cuttings folder has got to after two house moves (and I can't definitely recall which 'paper it was but it might have been 'The Daily Mirror').  It was around the time there was an increasing incidence of short wheelbase wagon derailments so first half of the 1960s

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

It always was when two gangs worked together - Brighton and Stewarts Lane for example.

In some cases there was plenty of it when there was only one gang on the site although in the case of one gang (who I fortunately never got involved with when they were using a crane) it was more a matter of farce rather than anything else but they could get a bit dangerous because they were sloppy when using MFD gear.  Working with the Old Oak gang using a crane was pleasure because they had an excellent supervisor and they all knew what they were at. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

it still happens in the modern age …………….. One bank holiday morning in 2004 when on-call as Ops Manager ………… received from WICC ………….. "can you get up to West London Junction the Kirov is on its side ………."

Operator disabling the SWL device whilst lifting new decks for the WLL bridge replacement ISTR

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, SDJR7F88 said:

A short video taking a closer look at the Bachmann Ransomes & Rapier 45 Ton Steam Crane in 00 Gauge in action.

Seems to be an close copy of the Railway Modeller video (without narration), which I presume you also made!

I used to think that youtube reviewers were parodying magazine reviews in terms of language style[1], but now they are actually writing them!

[1] e.g. "smoothly and quietly thoughout the speed range" I'm sure Model Rail used this a lot in the early 2000s :-p

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Seems to be an close copy of the Railway Modeller video (without narration), which I presume you also made!

I used to think that youtube reviewers were parodying magazine reviews in terms of language style[1], but now they are actually writing them!

[1] e.g. "smoothly and quietly thoughout the speed range" I'm sure Model Rail used this a lot in the early 2000s :-p

Yes, it was my own footage from the Railway Modeller video.  There's a few more close-ups and no narration in this one for my own personal channel. As you can imagine, working away from home and living currently out of a hotel meaning I don't get time to film my own models back home.

I try to switch up my narrations when I can, but there's only so many ways to describe something running smoothly  :D

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Jack P said:

Is anyone to give any more detailed information about what specific vehicles were in this specific breakdown trains (1561S) formation? Or, where I would be able to find this information myself, I've flicked through 'Service stock of the SR' - Oakwood, but (unless i'm not looking hard enough) can't find anything specific, or conclusive, just general information.

Hi Jack

I wondered if someone might post this question!

On receiving my crane I contacted Mike King with the same question and the following is from his reply [note that his references are to sections of his recent book "Southern Coaches Survey" which is essential reading!]:

"...the prototypes for the Bachmann crane are 1560/61s, new in 1940. These went to Nine Elms and Feltham, with one moving on to Guildford not long after. No new conversions for riding vans were done at this time, so it appears whatever existing coaches/vans continued in use. Feltham and Guildford had ex-LBSCR 54 ft coaches at that time - either 5-compartment brake thirds or composites. The easiest to describe are those at Feltham - 1470s and 1471s (ex- 3934 and 3993), which were former Diagram 199 brake thirds and conform to the diagram, so they may be found in section 9 of "Survey". Apart from the usual removal of lookouts, the only external alteration was to fit stoves so there is a chimney in the roof of each coach - roughly in the middle of the former passenger compartments. Interiors were largely stripped out. In addition, Feltham also had SECR 6w brake 1619s, formerly Diagram 882 van 485 and details of this may be found in section 5. In this case, no external alterations (not even removal of lookouts) but a stove fitted near one end. Livery might be grey or red oxide, but all three look tatty in pictures. As you say, sourcing models may be a problem - the SECR van was done by Branchlines some years ago, but I do not know if this kit is still available.....  Otherwise, Branchlines also did some LBSCR 48ft and 54 ft coach kits as well - but not sure if Diagram 199 was amongst them. Or, you could chop up the old Triang clerestories - my normal method of sourcing Brighton coaches."

I doubt that there is a better source than Mike, so the issue is finding appropriate stock. I can't see that the Branchlines kit he refers to is still available, but perhaps another option might be butchery of the recent Hattons 6 wheelers?

I intend building an SR breakdown train to run with the crane and will post my efforts in due course on my layout thread - but this may take some time!

Tony

• Informative/Useful 3

41 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Hi Jack

I wondered if someone might post this question!

On receiving my crane I contacted Mike King with the same question and the following is from his reply [note that his references are to sections of his recent book "Southern Coaches Survey" which is essential reading!]:

"...the prototypes for the Bachmann crane are 1560/61s, new in 1940. These went to Nine Elms and Feltham, with one moving on to Guildford not long after. No new conversions for riding vans were done at this time, so it appears whatever existing coaches/vans continued in use. Feltham and Guildford had ex-LBSCR 54 ft coaches at that time - either 5-compartment brake thirds or composites. The easiest to describe are those at Feltham - 1470s and 1471s (ex- 3934 and 3993), which were former Diagram 199 brake thirds and conform to the diagram, so they may be found in section 9 of "Survey". Apart from the usual removal of lookouts, the only external alteration was to fit stoves so there is a chimney in the roof of each coach - roughly in the middle of the former passenger compartments. Interiors were largely stripped out. In addition, Feltham also had SECR 6w brake 1619s, formerly Diagram 882 van 485 and details of this may be found in section 5. In this case, no external alterations (not even removal of lookouts) but a stove fitted near one end. Livery might be grey or red oxide, but all three look tatty in pictures. As you say, sourcing models may be a problem - the SECR van was done by Branchlines some years ago, but I do not know if this kit is still available.....  Otherwise, Branchlines also did some LBSCR 48ft and 54 ft coach kits as well - but not sure if Diagram 199 was amongst them. Or, you could chop up the old Triang clerestories - my normal method of sourcing Brighton coaches."

I doubt that there is a better source than Mike, so the issue is finding appropriate stock. I can't see that the Branchlines kit he refers to is still available, but perhaps another option might be butchery of the recent Hattons 6 wheelers?

I intend building an SR breakdown train to run with the crane and will post my efforts in due course on my layout thread - but this may take some time!

Tony

Book duly ordered. Thank you for the heads up on this, it had crept beneath my radar.

My guess regarding motive power for the crane based at Guilford is quite likely to have been a Q1, or am I wide of the mark? And for the one at Nine Elms???

regards

Nigel

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

Not taken much notice of this until now. My goodness, I'd want a DCC Sound operated one for that price.

Yeah, well; whatever. Cost it all out (with your finger in the air) and come back and tell everyone how it can be done.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

Not taken much notice of this until now. My goodness, I'd want a DCC Sound operated one for that price.

Well I did see a DCC HO version of a German crane in 2018 in the window of a wonderful model shop in Aachen. I can't remember who manufacturers it or if it had sound but you could buy one for 1000 euros, a bargain. Yes the Bachmann one is not cheap but it is quite outstanding and if you want one you need to buy it now, I can't see Bachmann doing it again for some time and I doubt if it will be available at that price next time (if and when) round.

all the best 
Godfrey

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

Whereas I'd be happy to pay not to have sound on it!

Each to his own.:)

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

In some cases there was plenty of it when there was only one gang on the site although in the case of one gang (who I fortunately never got involved with when they were using a crane) it was more a matter of farce rather than anything else but they could get a bit dangerous because they were sloppy when using MFD gear.  Working with the Old Oak gang using a crane was pleasure because they had an excellent supervisor and they all knew what they were at. 

I had three top-class crane supervisors at Brighton, whom I could rely on absolutely. One was ex-Lancing Works and is no longer with us; the relief man was ex Merchant Navy and a model railway man (also no longer with us); and the third, I'm glad to say, is still very much with us and is a very keen model railway man and expert on railway history.

Sometimes, out on site, I could sense that they wanted to do something that would be absolutely fine based on their experience but not strictly in accordance with the manual, at which point I woudl say something like "I think I'll just have another look at the derailment point at the other end of the site". By the time I got back the tricky job was done and we all had smiles on our faces.

For the record ,I should say that the breakdown gangs and supervisors from other parts of the Central Division, and also Wimbledon and Eastleigh when the big lifters were involved, were also first-class in their skills, experience, sense of humour and ability to drink tea with Fussell's condensed milk and enough sugar to let the spoon stand up in the mug.

Edited by St Enodoc
Ruddy American spellchecker
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, sandwich station said:

Don't forget we don't have to pay the 20% VAT!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, sandwich station said:

A DCC Sound fitted crane is currently reduced in price from £995 to £899.95 at Gaugemaster, a Trix HO DB Ardelt 57t Steam Crane http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=M23057&style=&strType=&Mcode=Trix+23057 If someone could motorise and sound fit the Bachmann crane for less than around £650 then it would show what good value the Bachmann crane is once its compared with what else is available,

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

I see the cables on the outer top pulleys cross over the others, in other words they do not

all  line up together I think it was mentioned on here  something to do with the geometry also with the jib down the tension spring is very loose and slides off its pivot is this normal.

Edited by paul 27