45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:29, drgj said:

This is a very impressive model but I wish it was a bit cheaper! Looks worth the money, though.

I have a colour postcode of diesel 10001 passing South Kenton with a red crane. I have the loco but no crane. I wonder if that would have been based at Willesden?

I used to live in Kenton but was born in 1963 so would have been tiny  when that train went by.

Dave

Dave can you show the picture you have showing this.

On 19/12/2019 at 12:29, drgj said:

I have a colour postcode of diesel 10001 passing South Kenton with a red crane. I have the loco but no crane. I wonder if that would have been based at Willesden?

Not sure if anyone responded to this at the time but Wilesden had a 50T crane built by Cravens as a 36 tonner in 1931 and uprated to 50T in 1939.

IMG_20191227_0004.jpg.79c33511f05123df95922edaf64048f1.jpgFor many years I've had these two pictures of a derailment at Cosham on 7th January 1954 passed onto me by a family friend, maybe someone can tell me if the crane is the same as the Bachmann model and the coaches coupled to the crane may be of interest. I have recently added these pictures to my Flickr site so go there for more detail.

IMG_20191227_0003.jpg

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, blueeighties said:

This is a very impressive model but I wish it was a bit cheaper! Looks worth the money, though.

Eh? If it "looks worth the money", why would you wish it was cheaper?

The old UK modellers reluctance to pay what a model is actually worth - you only have to look at the price of continental models to see how cheaper the majority of UK models despite being as good or better nowadays.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Agree 6

40 minutes ago, bubbles2 said:

IMG_20191227_0004.jpg.79c33511f05123df95922edaf64048f1.jpgFor many years I've had these two pictures of a derailment at Cosham on 7th January 1954 passed onto me by a family friend, maybe someone can tell me if the crane is the same as the Bachmann model and the coaches coupled to the crane may be of interest. I have recently added these pictures to my Flickr site so go there for more detail.

IMG_20191227_0003.jpg

Hi Bubbles,

The crane appears to be the 1918 built 36 ton Ransome & Rapier No. DS 35 formally No. 6 of the LSWR and was based at Eastleigh from 1940. It has an 0-6-4 carriage and unlike the R&R 45 ton Bachmann model does not have Stokes bogies. This particular crane had an unusual feature in that its jib runner and match wagons were made up from two four wheeled bogies that looked very much like tender frames, one had a well for the block and the other carried a tool box. The bogies were joined by a bracket that also supported the jib.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, bubbles2 said:

For many years I've had these two pictures of a derailment at Cosham on 7th January 1954 passed onto me by a family friend, maybe someone can tell me if the crane is the same as the Bachmann model and the coaches coupled to the crane may be of interest. I have recently added these pictures to my Flickr site so go there for more detail.

As Gibbo has already said, it isn't  - ts the earlier 36t type, anyone who wants a good read about the workings of a breakdown gang should aim to pick up a copy of 'Off the Rails' by Bill Bishop, who writes about his time with the Eastleigh crane (as your photograph), I noticed 3 copies in the Carriage shop at Horstead Keynes between Christmas and New Year at £3-4 each.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, blueeighties said:

This is a very impressive model but I wish it was a bit cheaper! Looks worth the money, though.

Eh? If it "looks worth the money", why would you wish it was cheaper?

A Ferrari looks worth the money, if you've got it. But I still wish they were cheaper :)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, paul 27 said:

Can some one please tell me what year the  R & R  45t  Tinsley crane was painted red any pictures,

some time pre 68.

I believe the Tinsley one was a Cowans Sheldon at some stage in it's life, but not having my bible to hand I'm relying on memory.

Mike.

5 hours ago, paul 27 said:

Can some one please tell me what year the  R & R  45t  Tinsley crane was painted red any pictures,

some time pre 68.

DE330102/ADRR95214 was at Tinsley from 1965 to 1986 (now at the NYMR, I believe currently OOS). I can't tell you when it was first painted red, but it was red and the paint looked fresh in 1976. See http://www.bdca.org.uk/gallery/index.php/Ransomes-and-Rapier/ADRR95214

Edited by craneman

Thanks  Craneman  the pictures in the link looks pretty much like it did in the 60s apart from

the wasp stripes were much lower down, it looks  very much like the red model I have just purchased

detail wise, will have to repaint parts of it, what shade red I will have to find.

Edited by paul 27

5 hours ago, Departmental said:

Has anyone looked at this impressive model and has an opinion as to, weather it is possible/feasable to preform a P4 conversion on it?

I'm happy to have a look tonight and measure for you if that helps? - Just let me know what you need measured, or if photos would help.  I would imagine from my brief look underneath it would probably be feasible.

A little off topic, but at my local preserved steam railway, they have a Ransom and Rapier crane, not the 45tonner, but still interesting I thought. The cast warning plates on the side are the same as the ones on the model!

49371524173_bbef4a9ee7_b.jpg

49371978306_4c5a1aa8fc_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Departmental said:

Has anyone looked at this impressive model and has an opinion as to, weather it is possible/feasable to preform a P4 conversion on it?

Pulling the existing wheels out to EM is easily achievable, so the space between frames is sufficient.

As to the technicalities of getting a non flexing 8 wheel chassis round P4 curves and trackwork is another matter though.

Mike.

• Like 1

My father and I have spent a bit of time pouring over the new Bachmann model and have concluded you have to scrape a fair amount to find any errors.  I have writing a blog post on it which you can find by clicking here.

If anyone wishes to know which book covers this era of prototypes then you need volume 2 of Railway Breakdown Cranes.  It is presently out of print but it is hoped that the likely interest from the Bachmann model will be enough to encourage the publishers, Crecy, to reprint it.

image.png.2957edf855d5166910d02ed1f01bda91.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1