45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

12 minutes ago, craneman said:

"...operation of the loading of the relieving bogies became pneumatic latterly. "

"Pneumatic"?

Hi Craneman,

Pneumatic in so much that there is a lot of puffing a blowing when haling around those hand wheels !!!

Gibbo

• Funny 1

18 minutes ago, craneman said:

"...operation of the loading of the relieving bogies became pneumatic latterly. "

"Pneumatic"?

Sorry, not sure what happened with my brain there as that would be a little bit of reordering of the physical world for that to work!

About to be corrected!

Mark

1 hour ago, Departmental said:

Ok, dont worry about the pic, just a opinion as to the space available would be a help

There's a large block that the wheels slot  into, the space between the inner side frames of the crane is slightly over 22mm. Its about the same on the jib runner and match trucks. 

49400663573_3849706c2b_b.jpg

49401343347_b8476cbc1b_b.jpg

I hope that helps!

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for the pictures and measurements.

The external wheel face to face of a P4 wagon wheel axle is 20.60mm, which will be a bit tight!

I notice that the Bachmann axles are a lot larger in diameter than P4 wagon axles so some new machined axles will be called for.

I think that the crane might not wish to run with such tight tolerances after modification, and or grinding out the inner faces of the main chassis molding.

All in all, a very nice model, but not one I am prepared to have to 'butcher' having paid £200+ for!

Again thanks for your help in providing some photos

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I got the SR Grey crane for my birthday and I love it, however what would a typical era 3 train look like that this would be  part of - what pulled and what other wagons and coaching stock would have accompanied as it went from job to job.

Andrew

On page 34 of this topic, near the bottom, you will find some quoted information from Mike King. Failing some photographs of the train in use this is probably the best information available.

There is a picture of one of the Southern cranes attending a derailment in 1940 in the publication Southern Way Special No 3 Wartime Southern. This is probably 1561S as the location is near

Guildford. The support train is present in the background and consists of two arc roofed bogie coaches. The only other detail shown is that the nearest coach has a lighter coloured roof suggesting that it has recently been repainted.

The attached pictures show my current progress on producing vehicles to go with 1561S.

Any modelling of similar vehicles is going to require at least a repaint. I cannot think of any source of a suitable ready to run arc roofed non corridor brake coach. The LSWR rebuild by Hornby is a possible option and simple modifications such as removing the duckets, 2/3 of the door and grab handles and adding a stove chimney, would get you closer in appearance. Other than that you are into the brass kits or conversion of Triang clerestory coaches.

IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG

Edited by Tony Cane
correction 3 not 2
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Kier Hardy said:

just taking pictures of them fresh out of the box.

Mine hasn't even come out of its box yet! Not sure that it will unless I can find a good reason. I bought it as a reminder of times past rather than to run on the layout.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

Mine hasn't even come out of its box yet! Not sure that it will unless I can find a good reason. I bought it as a reminder of times past rather than to run on the layout.

Mine is still in the box because I don't really see the point of getting it out until I'm a bit further on with the layout. Even there, it will be very much an interloper so I'll need a liberal application of Rule 1 to justify it. But I do think it will make for a good cameo scene - the argument, possibly, being that the yard I'm modelling was used for overnight stabling for the crane rather than taking it all the way back to the depot. I'm a little scared of weathering such an exquisite (and expensive!) model, but maybe I'll practice on the Oxford 15t crane when I get one.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Kier Hardy said:

It's great to see what 'modellers' have been doing with their cranes, instead of just taking pictures of them fresh out of the box.

I'll see your grey one, and raise you a red one!

hornsey_45tcrane-06.jpg.3321d4ad6ae89f0701230ced742d7533.jpg

Did you take the subtle weathering from here (if so, very well done!):

ADM1097_1977_06_Willesden

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kier Hardy said:

It's great to see what 'modellers' have been doing with their cranes, instead of just taking pictures of them fresh out of the box.

I'll see your grey one, and raise you a red one!

hornsey_45tcrane-06.jpg.3321d4ad6ae89f0701230ced742d7533.jpg

Outstanding picture, so life-like. Thanks for posting.

Edited by craneman
Spelling
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 10:35, G-BOAF said:

Did you take the subtle weathering from here (if so, very well done!):

Thank you, yes, that was the very photograph that gave me the urge to weather my crane... so much better than the bright plastic finish it arrived with.

• Agree 1

I doubt Bachmann are going to introduce support coaches in the near future for these,

what type would be suitable for a 60s Crane would like them in the red livery would

this be similar to post office red, any pictures to show appreciated.

Just spotted this over on facebook, someone has managed to get 2 electric motors in the boiler area to motorised their crane. 

Using a DCC decoder to operate the motors one at a time. He's also investigating motoring the slewing mechanism.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=678359559572736&id=397738487634846

Not sure if you will need an account to look at it depending on their privacy settings 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Just spotted this over on facebook, someone has managed to get 2 electric motors in the boiler area to motorised their crane. 

Using a DCC decoder to operate the motors one at a time. He's also investigating motoring the slewing mechanism.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=678359559572736&id=397738487634846

Not sure if you will need an account to look at it depending on their privacy settings 

Impressive.

That is how I guessed it would be done, two parallel motors linking to the existing worm mechanism.

The slewing mechanism might be a bit tight given the ballast weight/chassis block, but I'm sure doable. Will be interesting how he got electrical wires in there and what limit there will be to slewing with the electrical connections in there, assuming there are pickups fitted to the wheels

The slewing motor could be fitted in the carriage, along with a travel motor if so desired. It would really need slip rings to connect to the crab in order to allow full 360 slewing. It is a neat start, however, and shows it can be done. I guess ideally there'd be a further motor driving the crane's engines separately so that the crankshaft can run with any or all of the crane's other motions (it could also run with none of the crane's other motions, as you do when warming the engines before use).

The derricking gear needs to be slowed down a lot from the video though, that is much to fast to raise the jib.

• Informative/Useful 2