45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

Thanks!

I've been looking in to a suitable mechanism that could operate the Slew in such

a way that it would not prohibit the sideways motion when the crane is transported

with the jib resting on the carrier wagon.

Since my layout has a couple of tighter radius bends it should be allowed to at

least rotate 15 to 20 degrees (each direction) before the drive mechanism would

engage.

I've got some ideas that should work but with the lack of a suitable gearbox

I cant really test them yet, It's in the mail on it's way from Hong Kong.

I've tried to reallign the gearing that drives the crankshaft yesterday and these gears

are really holding on to a point that I fear I'm going to break something, that's not worth

it so I'm putting that idea on hold. (also, I would need an extra decoder to run the motor

seperately and thats another investment in an already expensive rtr model.)

I'll most likely start a new topic when I get the time, the main focus is to get the crane

as is operational prior to the next 3 day show in a little over 2 weeks from now.

Regards,

Robbert Jan.

the Netherlands. 

• Like 2

Paul, 

I've experimented with a few colors

on a materials van that goes with

my crane, a suitable red is even 

more difficult to obtain over here in

the Netherlands, so I tried a couple

of methodes and I found a 

satisfying one. 

Applying a coat of matt black

followed by a light coat of traffic

red, dusting it on to allow for the

black to still shine trough. 

This results in my case in a nice

tone of red that after wheathering 

will look the part. 

Regards

Robbert Jan, 

The Netherlands. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 10:08, St Enodoc said:

Mine hasn't even come out of its box yet! Not sure that it will unless I can find a good reason. I bought it as a reminder of times past rather than to run on the layout.

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 10:14, MarkSG said:

Mine is still in the box because I don't really see the point of getting it out until I'm a bit further on with the layout.

It'd be worth taking out of the box just to inspect it - if you find an issue a year down the line you won't be happy :(

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, polybear said:

It'd be worth taking out of the box just to inspect it - if you find an issue a year down the line you won't be happy :(

Hi Polybear

It would seem to me that models that don't get taken out of their boxes may as well stay in the shop !!!!

That brings me to ask the question, when the owners of these models pop their clogs will their relatives take them out of their boxes and place them into appropriate recycling facilities or just hoy them into a skip still boxed ? 

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Polybear

It would seem to me that models that don't get taken out of their boxes may as well stay in the shop !!!!

That brings me to ask the question, when the owners of these models pop their clogs will their relatives take them out of their boxes and place them into appropriate recycling facilities or just hoy them into a skip still boxed ? 

Gibbo.

I recall a story I overheard at a railway exhibition:

Vintage 0-Gauge collector (of very nice desirable stuff) had sadly died.  After waiting a respectful period, a couple of like-minded friends paid a visit to discuss purchasing various said items.

Widow says "I didn't bother to keep the boxes".

Followed with "Or the wagons, because no-one would want those".

Only the "wagons" were actually the loco tenders.....:cry:

26 minutes ago, polybear said:

I recall a story I overheard at a railway exhibition:

Vintage 0-Gauge collector (of very nice desirable stuff) had sadly died.  After waiting a respectful period, a couple of like-minded friends paid a visit to discuss purchasing various said items.

I should think that sadly, it happens all to often.

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Fair point. Although I did actually finish off the last of the trackwork over the weekend, so although there's no scenery in place I do have a functioning layout that I can test things on. So I may have a running session next weekend, just because, for the first time, I can. And that would probably be a good time to get the crane out and check it over.

6 hours ago, polybear said:

About 18 months ago I heard a variation of that story in my local model shop - The Hornby 'James' (from Thomas range) 'comes with a wagon', to which the shopkeeper says' er, no, that's the tender'  - the worrying thing is the person who described James' tender as a wagon... was a Hornby rep!

Jon

• Funny 1

Does anyone know if the Southern used Borail wagons with cranes for placing loads on? If so I’ll make a train for mine using a Cambrian kit and a Ratio Bogie B utility van.

Ps- when typing Borail in with my phone, the only alternative word my phone could think it was was Anorak. Clearly Apple bias against railways!

• Funny 3

Well, I did get the crane out today, and included it in the test running session on the newly completed trackwork. And, it runs very well - it's only a shunting plank, so I can't give it a continuous run, but I shunted it into and out of every siding on the layout, and it handled all the curves and pointwork with no problems. Even the slightly awkward one where I had to squeeze in a curve that's tighter than I wanted because I'd made a mistake earlier on and didn't fancy taking track back up again to correct it!

Anyway, it certainly is a lovely model, although it's scarily fiddly - given that you have to handle it to pose it, it seems to me that there's a higher than average risk of damaging small parts. For that reason, I think it's likely to only get used sparingly, mainly in running mode rather than operational mode. But, still, I'm glad I bought it.

Since everyone else seems to be posting a photo of their crane, here's one of mine. The absence of any scenery on the layout is partially compensated for by an appropriate prop :)

IMG_20200222_145240232.jpg.ef9cf9c99360aab34975bf6d4fb20684.jpg

(And yes, I know that I haven't got the outriggers out, or the cab roof up, or the chimney up, so that's completely unrealistic. I'll do a proper diorama scene with everything in place once I actually do have some scenery).

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask some collective questions for the SR crane (sorry to spark this one again)

- I just want to confirm, when new, 1560s was allocated to Feltham, and 1561s to Nine Elms? 

- 1560s was then allocated to Nine Elms in 1946 - was this also when 1561s was allocated to guildford?

- Were there any transfers in any intermediate years?

- Were there any transfers after 1946 but pre 1948?

Thanks in advance!

I wondered if someone might post this question!

On receiving my crane I contacted Mike King with the same question and the following is from his reply [note that his references are to sections of his recent book "Southern Coaches Survey" which is essential reading!]:

"...the prototypes for the Bachmann crane are 1560/61s, new in 1940. These went to Nine Elms and Feltham, with one moving on to Guildford not long after.

On 27/12/2019 at 23:50, Tony Cane said:

For crane 1560, based at Guildford, there is reference to a ex LSWR 6 wheel passenger brake van SR No 81 being converted for use in the breakdown train in 1935/6.

The Nine Elms crane had ex LBSCR bogie 3Rd brake coaches 3897 and 3911, converted in 1937/38

On 28/12/2019 at 20:18, Tony Teague said:

1560s - fELTHAM 8/40, nINE eLMS 6/46, eASTLEIGH '64 - 4/1/66, hITHER gREEN 11/86, sTEWARTS lANE oou 4/88

Apologies, I think i've found some information that I think could clarify which coaches ended up in 1561s train. I'm just trying to ascertain if 1560 was actually ever allocated to Guildford? From my understanding if the above is correct for 1560s, then 1561s would be;

1561s - Nine Elms 8/40, 6/46 Guildford?

- Does that mean that SR van No 81 was allocated to 1561s?

- When the breakdown cranes moved between MPD's, did they take their tool/riding vans with them?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Cane said:

Please see message posted by me on January 25th.

Tony

Sorry - I may be thick but I can't see that you mention which kits were used, just modifications to a Hornby LSWR bogie coach and 'brass kits'; could you expand on that?

Best wishes

Tony

Yes, The SECR 6 wheel brake coach is a Brachlines kit recently bought on Ebay,

The LSWR 4 wheel van is from a Mallard models kit I built about 25 years ago but never got round to painting.

How about that for forward planning !!!!!!

Still need to complete the lettering and then some weathering to finish the set.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tony Cane said:

Yes, The SECR 6 wheel brake coach is a Brachlines kit recently bought on Ebay,

The LSWR 4 wheel van is from a Mallard models kit I built about 25 years ago but never got round to painting.

How about that for forward planning !!!!!!

Still need to complete the lettering and then some weathering to finish the set.

Tony thanks.

I wondered about the Mallard kit as I have one which I think is the same - and I had thought about repainting it for the breakdown train:

1985667462_NYC108.jpg.6535f7eac4157b87f5909faf8ccd35c9.jpg

I also have this one which might equally suit:

766006874_NYC107.jpg.6cec0ff7a5724b65b6ddbab7ca689614.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Tony

• Like 2

You have the sliding door version, but there are pictures of this type in Departmental Service.

The other vehicle seems to be one that is normally on a 6 wheel chassis. Again this type was also used and there are references to some 6 wheel  chassis being reduced to 4 wheels in some cases.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...