45 ton Ransomes Crane

Hilux5972

14 minutes ago, scots region said:

Plus, it's hardly likely that you'd want to hang any weight off of a £200+ model. 

I beg to differ. I picked up an extra Bachmann Shunters truck when KMRC were flogging them at £5 (compared to RRP of £31.95 for latest batch!!!!), as a demo lift for my crane. Its light, but will look good.

I'd be disappointed if it can't handle this without damage. I don't think I would try anything heavier; maybe a van body shell or something.

Edited by G-BOAF

9 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I beg to differ. I picked up an extra Bachmann Shunters truck when KMRC were flogging them at £5 (compared to RRP of £31.95 for latest batch!!!!), as a demo lift for my crane. Its light, but will look good.

I'd be disappointed if it can't handle this without damage. I don't think I would try anything heavier; maybe a van body shell or something.

Hi There,

If Bachmann have built there crane as well as Ransome Rapier built the originals then it should be able to lift 103.338 grams based on the fact that mass would be the cube of 76.2 (442450.728) and the working limit of the real thing is 45 tons or 45722000 grams in metric.

Obviously you will have to deploy the propping girders to there fullest extent, take into account any track elevation should there be any and also add the mass of any lifting strops, chains, shackles or beams to the mass to be lifted.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, craneman said:

Note the herringbone spur gear (directly in front of the scrapper's right foot), a classic characteristic of a Craven crane. Very expensive to manufacture, and very rarely found on any other make.

Can't be a lot wrong with it, Andre Citroen made his money with it, it's the cars wot did 'im.

Mike.

58 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

If Bachmann have built there crane as well as Ransome Rapier built the originals then it should be able to lift 103.338 grams based on the fact that mass would be the cube of 76.2 (442450.728) and the working limit of the real thing is 45 tons or 45722000 grams in metric.

Obviously you will have to deploy the propping girders to there fullest extent, take into account any track elevation should there be any and also add the mass of any lifting strops, chains, shackles or beams to the mass to be lifted.

Gibbo.

But Rapier used steel cables. Bachmann are (AFAIK) using cotton thread, or maybe Nylon. Either way, forces on this particular component may not scale. I think that will be the weak point in the model

11 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

But Rapier used steel cables. Bachmann are (AFAIK) using cotton thread, or maybe Nylon. Either way, forces on this particular component may not scale. I think that will be the weak point in the model

Hi There,

Having worked upon both a Craven Brothers 50 ton and a Cowans Sheldon 76 Tonne cranes I would suggest that when taking the safety factor of the ropes into consideration then pretty much any crane you may care to mention would have capsized well before the ropes break. The next most likely failure mode would be from jib buckling which is usually due to the inertia of a swinging load that has not been allowed for when slewing, not sure how you would manage that with 103.338 grams.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

Having worked upon both a Craven Brothers 50 ton and a Cowans Sheldon 76 Tonne cranes I would suggest that when taking the safety factor of the ropes into consideration then pretty much any crane you may care to mention would have capsized well before the ropes break. The next most likely failure mode would be from jib buckling which is usually due to the inertia of a swinging load that has not been allowed for when slewing, not sure how you would manage that with 103.338 grams.

Gibbo.

OK in 1:1 scale, but what about stretching/breakage in 1:76. I guess given the hook itslef is double blocked, should be OK, but I'd be more worried about stretching of cables on the model that ruin the tensioning.

21 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

OK in 1:1 scale, but what about stretching/breakage in 1:76. I guess given the hook itslef is double blocked, should be OK, but I'd be more worried about stretching of cables on the model that ruin the tensioning.

Hi There,

Get your self some cotton sewing thread and see how hard you can pull it before it breaks or cuts into your fingers, alternatively tie it around things such as half house bricks and see if you are able to pick the item up. Remember that each time the fall of the rope is reeved through the block the amount that the ropes at the hook end will pick up increases by the rated value of the rope.

My home made jib attached to my C&S 75 Ton picked up a Lima 08 although I had to keep a finger on the carriage.

Whatever you do, don't over think the job !

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

Get your self some cotton sewing thread and see how hard you can pull it before it breaks or cuts into your fingers, alternatively tie it around things such as half house bricks and see if you are able to pick the item up. Remember that each time the fall of the rope is reeved through the block the amount that the ropes at the hook end will pick up increases by the rated value of the rope.

My home made jib attached to my C&S 75 Ton picked up a Lima 08 although I had to keep a finger on the carriage.

Whatever you do, don't over think the job !

Gibbo.

fair point!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cracking photos, thanks for posting them.

The quality of the model far exceeds the awareness of the people who pose the models for display. You wouldn't last long as a driver if you ran the hook block into the jib-head sheaves like that. But at least the jib runner is the right way round this time!

• Like 3

Indeed its not until you get to look at one up close you realise the detail that's been put into this project.

Its very nice to see the safety chains, screw couplings and vacuum pipework present on the buffer beams. Sadly I didn't get a chance to ask whether these are user fit or fitted as standard. 

I wonder if the hook block is as it would be supplied in the packaging as I remember someone saying it needs to be under tension to stop the rigging becoming a mess in transit.

1 hour ago, Ardglen said:

Forgive me for going off topic, can anyone tell what the building is in front of the crane (which is a superb model...)

Its the Graham Farish version of Sheffield Park Station. Only just been made available in N after the OO version from a few tears back.

9 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Did the Southern Railway not paint the yard allocation  on its cranes ?

Not in the grey era (at least there's no evidence of it). Later, in the black and later red eras, it did.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just received an email from Hatton's unilaterally cancelling my pre-order... Any one else had this?

Edit to add - all versions appear to have been removed from the Hatton's website...

Edited by Zero Gravitas
More information
  • Agree 1

Yes, I've just had the same thing. No crane, no Johnson 0-4-4T. And Hattons are no longer listed as a stockist on the Bachmann website. Something odd is obviously going on here. Which is probably beyond the scope of this thread, so I'll leave it there.

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

Yes, I've just had the same thing. No crane, no Johnson 0-4-4T. And Hattons are no longer listed as a stockist on the Bachmann website. Something odd is obviously going on here. Which is probably beyond the scope of this thread, so I'll leave it there.

Also, Bachmann is no longer listed in Hatton's list of manufacturers under "Future Releases".

Nothing odd about it, the two companies have evidently concluded that their dispute (the roots of which were fairly obvious from the beginning, despite neither party spelling it out) will not be resolved in the foreseeable future and they have decided to cease dealing with one another.  

At least Hatton's action has made it clear to us, as customers, exactly where things stand.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

1 hour ago, nerron said:

Seems that all Bachmann items shown as "pre-order" have been deleted. e.g. the Midland 0-4-4Ts and the new livery D11s.

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

its a long standing issue between them. Looks like Bachmann aren't supplying them anymore. So its not just affecting the crane

1 hour ago, B15nac said:

Yea me as well what's it all about? 

1 hour ago, Zero Gravitas said:

Just received an email from Hatton's unilaterally cancelling my pre-order... Any one else had this?

Edit to add - all versions appear to have been removed from the Hatton's website...

See https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/145752-hattons-bachmann-new-stock-cancelled-pre-orders-07-aug/&do=findComment&comment=3634481

Please keep any product topics to the product rather than the retailer otherwise every Bachmann topic will become a mess.

• Agree 2