York Model Railway Show - Easter 2016

peterl

Won

Thread drift but I wonder if that could be arranged as a one-off?  SLS Recruitment stand (we saved Gladstone) plus your layout?

Going OT but there is a model railway show held at Locomotion.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Going OT but there is a model railway show held at Locomotion.

Paul

There are a couple of exhibitions throughout the year and entry is free.

I did wonder if the NRM covered the costs, but that is on a scale much, much smaller than the York show.

Would the NRM be willing to allow theYork organisers to charge an entry fee for just that (bank holiday) weekend?

Same problem at Locomotion as we would have at the NRM.  The place is not big enough for the Show.  We need just over 3,000 sq. metres plus a lot of car parking availability even before the visitors arrive.

Peter

There are a couple of exhibitions throughout the year and entry is free.

I did wonder if the NRM covered the costs, but that is on a scale much, much smaller than the York show.

Would the NRM be willing to allow theYork organisers to charge an entry fee for just that (bank holiday) weekend?

The NRM are unable to charge for admission at any time. To do so would mean the public funding which supports the organisation would be withdrawn, that is conditional on entry being free to all. If an area could be cordoned off, admission could be charged to that area but not too the museum itself.

The racecourse is one of the most charismatic venues on the circuit, it would be great shame to lose it.

• RMweb Gold

The racecourse is one of the most charismatic venues on the circuit, it would be great shame to lose it.

I think this was all hypothetical anyway. I'm with you, I like the racecourse venue.

I think this was all hypothetical anyway. I'm with you, I like the racecourse venue.

Ah but have you had a layout/traders stand on the 2nd mezzanine? :stinker:  Its a horrible venue to set up, and more importantly disassemble in, with no freight lifts and only one servicing the mezzanines.

Apparently the public don't like it, if you read Mike Cooks book about the show the numbers that attended the last shows in central York towards the end of the 70s at the Assembly rooms (now an Ask Pizzeria) and De Grey rooms was several times the numbers that make it out to the racecourse. Unfortunately there is nowhere in York that is suitable for a large show - not many places suitable for small ones either!

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Ah but have you had a layout/traders stand on the 2nd mezzanine? :stinker:  Its a horrible venue to set up, and more importantly disassemble in, with no freight lifts and only one servicing the mezzanines.

Apparently the public don't like it, if you read Mike Cooks book about the show the numbers that attended the last shows in central York towards the end of the 70s at the Assembly rooms (now an Ask Pizzeria) and De Grey rooms was several times the numbers that make it out to the racecourse. Unfortunately there is nowhere in York that is suitable for a large show - not many places suitable for small ones either!

Paul

Paul,

Having been a steward for the first time this year, I agree with you about the set up and break down.

I will take issue with your second paragraph though, comparing numbers at the central York venues from 35 (ish) years ago with current attendances is not really a fair comparison, given that attendances at most major shows have declined markedly since the heyday of the 1970's/80's.  Hasn't the York show been at the Racecourse for about 20 years now?  It can't be that unpopular with the public if it's still succesful!

As you say - short of a purpose built exhibition hall, the Racecourse is probably the best venue for the show.

Kind regards

The other Paul

Ah but have you had a layout/traders stand on the 2nd mezzanine? :stinker:  Its a horrible venue to set up, and more importantly disassemble in, with no freight lifts and only one servicing the mezzanine.

Not to mention the sun through the glazing; Warmington seemed to survive its baking in 2014, until I spotted a severe subsidence outbreak on the platform last Autumn; presume it was a delayed reaction on that part of the platform.

Not to mention the sun through the glazing; Warmington seemed to survive its baking in 2014, until I spotted a severe subsidence outbreak on the platform last Autumn; presume it was a delayed reaction on that part of the platform.

It can get very hot with you back to the sun on that mezzanine. Funnily enough during my visit to the mezzanine during this year show I witnessed a passing hail storm accompanied by thunder and lighting*.

P

*not the Lightning of RMweb. We encountered that Lightning at various times throughout the visit!

Numbers actually dropped quite considerably while still in the Assembly Rooms and De Grey Rooms to between six and seven thousand. In 1987 they dropped to 6041 with a change in dates. So things other than the venue can and do cause changes in numbers.  What is important is the we cover our costs so we can put on a Show next year.

Peter

The racecourse has a lot going for it - enough parking, plenty of toilets, good light, easy to find. There are a lot of places that are worse. 

Perhaps the answer is to borrow an engine from NRM for the weekend, like the NEC!  :no: 

Peter

The racecourse has a lot going for it - enough parking, plenty of toilets, good light, easy to find. There are a lot of places that are worse. 

Perhaps the answer is to borrow an engine from NRM for the weekend, like the NEC!  :no: 

Peter

Great idea, it could take the space on the upper mezzanine so the layouts and traders didn't overheat in the scorching York sun....

• RMweb Premium

I sympathise with the issues at both Stafford and York with the withdrawal of bus services between the Station and the venue - we faced similar at one time in Derby when using Moorways Sports Centre. 

However our show is now at The Roundhouse and is right next to the station - a bit like having the York show at the Railway Museum!! Last year it was noticeable when a train arrived as we got a queue five minutes later !

I'm quoting my own post above and can't believe how much froth and chatter this has created - can I just state for the record that I was not suggesting that the York show should be at NRM - it was just a comparison with our show being next to Derby Station in The Roundhouse . . !

I'm quoting my own post above and can't believe how much froth and chatter this has created - can I just state for the record that I was not suggesting that the York show should be at NRM - it was just a comparison with our show being next to Derby Station in The Roundhouse . . !

But you made a valuable point. York is going through its annual (it seems like it) consultation on what should be done with the vast area of waste land/railway land beside the NRM. https://www.york.gov.uk/info/20048/major_developments/1019/major_developments_at_york_central

Rather more seriously perhaps than 20 years ago (plans for the teardrop site were in the local rag the first month I moved to York) as the National Budget included £100m for Enterprise zone redevelopment. I mention this because the NRM wants a lot of the action, there is nothing in it for the people of York, except a lot more traffic, but what would be really nice would be a convention centre, sports area etc. etc alongside the station and we could have the exhibition there! Maybe expensive to hire, but perhaps a lot more people would drop in as they used to when the show was in central York.

Is it true that all model railway exhibitions (of size) have had drop off in attendance since the 1970s, an interesting 'fact'.

Paul

As we are now in the process of planning the 2017 Show perhaps comments could be in the form of ideas for the future.  We have noted the potential problem re sunlight on the 2nd Mezzanine, not sure about putting a full sized loco up there though. Always problems using venues that are not specifically designed for what you want to use them for.  We will continue to do our best however.

Peter

I do wonder if there is more scope to put traders on the outside and layouts on the inside - there seems to be a tendency to do the other way around. My thinking is both the sun gain can be a problem for layouts [Easter is later next year] and also viewers are seeing the layouts against the sun. Admittedly most will have lighting but this has to be pretty strong to overcome the glare and shading from the outside light - especially on the Mezzanine/stand side of the building.

I'm sure its all been considered before.

Paul

Archived