York Model Railway Show - Easter 2016

peterl

As we are now in the process of planning the 2017 Show perhaps comments could be in the form of ideas for the future.  We have noted the potential problem re sunlight on the 2nd Mezzanine, not sure about putting a full sized loco up there though. Always problems using venues that are not specifically designed for what you want to use them for.  We will continue to do our best however.

Peter

And not a bad job you're all doing, keep up the good work!

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder if there is more scope to put traders on the outside and layouts on the inside - there seems to be a tendency to do the other way around. My thinking is both the sun gain can be a problem for layouts [Easter is later next year] and also viewers are seeing the layouts against the sun. Admittedly most will have lighting but this has to be pretty strong to overcome the glare and shading from the outside light - especially on the Mezzanine/stand side of the building.

I'm sure its all been considered before.

Seeing a layout under natural sunlight can bring a whole new dimension to it and make it look much more lifelike (personal opinion of course), so I like seeing the odd natually sunlit model. Obviously practical concerns of its effects on both layour and operator need to come before that though.

viewers are seeing the layouts against the sun.

There's no way you can win - put them that way round and operators are looking into the sun all day. It's the one downside of York as a venue - if I go and it's a bright sunny day I always leave with a banging headache.

• RMweb Gold

Sun and heat at the Racecourse can be a ground floor problem too. Left a creme egg over night one year on a bogie bolster (Bogie egg wagon) on the H Dublo layout I showed back then and had a creme egg slurry to fix in the morning.  Over night total melt and runny egg on the track! 

We have noted the potential problem re sunlight on the 2nd Mezzanine, not sure about putting a full sized loco up there though.

Yeah - there's bound to be a trader hogging the lift when you want to move the loco, and I don't fancy the job of carrying it down the stairs! :)

Archived