York Model Railway Show - Easter 2016

peterl

• RMweb Gold

Well, I enjoyed the Exhibition. I paid the balance for my APT-E model, and saw many of the layout, etc.

It was as packed as ever, but it is worth a visit, and you will enjoy yourself!

I cannot show any photos since I left both my phone and camera at home - curses!!!

With regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I made the trip by rail today and was pleasantly surprised by the punctuality etc.

re. the bus - the driver on my bus - possibly the second of the day  - had been summoned from his bed to drive so I assume there were problems - I certainly waited a long time for my return journey - it's a real shame there is no such service on Sunday though...

A surprsing highlight for me was the Orange River and Portland RR - based on Maine 2 footers - the big scales don't always look "right" but this did.

Chris

post-1107-0-99124400-1459022228_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-99252400-1459022240_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-59127900-1459022248_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-71109500-1459022256_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-71124300-1459022267_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-41382500-1459022280_thumb.jpg

Just back having spent the full day there and I'd echo the views expressed in previous posts, this really is well worth a visit, the best York show for a while, and there have been some gems.

High points were plentiful, Outwell, Worlds End and Borchester perhaps absorbed most of my time but virtually every layout was worthy of mention.

Roll on 2017!

In response to the previous posts, this was dropped on the organizers as very short notice. But they must have known at least six months ago that this was the case, and chose not to tell us!

Not necessarily - there is a driver shortage affecting bus operators in the area. Another operator has actually criticised Transdev for "nicking our drivers" whilst handing back to North Yorks County Council a couple of contracted services, which were then passed onto Transdev (albeit their Harrogate depot). Sundays and Bank Holidays are a pretty busy day for Transdevs York operation  as they operate a number of services like the 11 that First operate the rest of the week while the launch tomorrow of the new York-Leeds express service probably has not helped the situation. 

Guest Q663368

Further late change to trader line up. As previously announced Taunton Controls not attending. They have been replaced by Sutton's Locomotive Workshop. Sutton's are launching their latest model at the show. They will now be on Stand 103 (ex Taunton) to give more space for their interactive DCC demo and display stand.

If anyone has visited the SLW stand I would appreciate knowing details of their latest model launch. Thanking you in advance.

• RMweb Premium

If anyone has visited the SLW stand I would appreciate knowing details of their latest model launch. Thanking you in advance.

Probably the new versions of the 24. See here.

Edit; oops - Nick beat me to it.

Guest Q663368

Probably the new versions of the 24. See here.

Edit; oops - Nick beat me to it.

Many thanks NewBryford and Holland Park.

Must order these next week.

Kindest regards

• RMweb Gold

I haven't been to York for a good few years but really enjoyed the show on Saturday. It was very,very busy and someone needs to locate the thermostat and nudge it down a few settings, but a good selection of layouts and trade I felt. Perhaps if anything a couple more 2mm finescale layouts would have been nice to see in addition to the solitary, but excellent, Bafferton. 

Tom. 

Butler Henderson, what I tend to do is to walk to the top and work my way down as most start at the ground level, especially just after opening time!

Another enjoyable York show, saw Outwell at the little York show the other week so spent longer on the others. Welsh slate quarry was wonderful.

Rule of thumb I must not talk to Mr Petty as he is like Aunty Wainwright, your credit card takes a pounding!

Had a really good day today, plenty of good quality layouts on show and of course they've all still got tomorrow to go.

Caistor Loco really impressed me as Pete and Daniel have scrubbed up nicely for their first outing with their stand at York. Corporate shirts and everything :)

Enjoyable afternoon wandering around York.

Surprised by some moaners - not enough trains running - where it's a single line and the last train is still on the move in the fiddle yard and apparently having only three N gauge layouts isn't enough.

Great show, well worth travelling the 100+ miles from Cumbria. My father, who's just retired, tagged along and has now expressed an interest in railway modelling. Well done to all involved for providing an excellent exhibition, layouts, traders and refreshments. We'll be back next year, for sure.

Excellent show again. I'd particularly like to thank the kind gent on the organisers stand who lent me his mobile as an accessible payphone couldn't be found. It was nice to have an all too brief (due to my time constraints) chat with Tony Wright about getting started with soldering. Those Sutton Loco Works 24s looked and sounded stunning too.

Enjoyable afternoon wandering around York.

Surprised by some moaners - not enough trains running - where it's a single line and the last train is still on the move in the fiddle yard and apparently having only three N gauge layouts isn't enough.

In the first case, perhaps design a layout which can be operated with less 'down time' and the second point is quite right, N gauge is normally less well represented than its percentage of the market.

On the first point, a good layout operated to its maximum potential can be given some slack, what gets me is the layouts which are being operated far below the layouts potential for train movements.

Archived