York Model Railway Show - Easter 2016

peterl

• RMweb Gold

Great York show this year, as ever.  Fantastic value for money too, such a big show for only nine quid? Bargain! :sungum:
Have to agree about the quality of the catering too.  Some outfits do tend to exploit their captive market.  I feel that the quality of the food and the service justifies the cost at York Racecourse.

Just one whinge.  I wanted to go on the train on the Monday, but ended up driving instead as there were no busses on the Sunday or Monday.  I was a guest at a wedding on Saturday, so that was out of the question.  I don't like driving on the Monday as one inevitably get stuck in traffic on the way home in the evening. :cry:
If none of the bus operators in York can be arsed to run a service on the Sunday or Monday, could another operator not be hired in to cover the demand?  Even some kind of minibus taxi share or something would do.  I'm sure there will have been other people who wanted to go on Sunday or Monday who are constrained to using public transport who ended-up not going because of this.

Other than that, just perfect.
I'm already looking forward to next year's show. :yes:

• RMweb Gold

Great York show this year, as ever.  Fantastic value for money too, such a big show for only nine quid? Bargain! :sungum:

Have to agree about the quality of the catering too.  Some outfits do tend to exploit their captive market.  I feel that the quality of the food and the service justifies the cost at York Racecourse.

Just one whinge.  I wanted to go on the train on the Monday, but ended up driving instead as there were no busses on the Sunday or Monday.  I was a guest at a wedding on Saturday, so that was out of the question.  I don't like driving on the Monday as one inevitably get stuck in traffic on the way home in the evening. :cry:

If none of the bus operators in York can be arsed to run a service on the Sunday or Monday, could another operator not be hired in to cover the demand?  Even some kind of minibus taxi share or something would do.  I'm sure there will have been other people who wanted to go on Sunday or Monday who are constrained to using public transport who ended-up not going because of this.

Other than that, just perfect.

I'm already looking forward to next year's show. :yes:

The notice we were given by TRANSDEV that they were pulling the plug on their commercial operation we don't subsidise was too late to even get into the modelling press let alone organise anything else. As much advance publicity of the alternative bus service as we could organise was then given. Options for 2017 are on the post-show review list.

A surprsing highlight for me was the Orange River and Portland RR - based on Maine 2 footers - the big scales don't always look "right" but this did.

Chris

The OR&P team also had a great time and our thanks go to the organizers and all the friendly folk we met along the way. Thanks for posting the photos Chris, glad you enjoyed the layout. At about 45' it's been a bit of a work up and it is still not finished (will it ever be?) but 'looking right' was the original intention. We previously modeled in 7mm NG and decided to see if it was possible to get similar scenic results in our second interest of 1:20.3 large scale.

Regards

Steve W

post-10875-0-34642800-1459351420.jpg

• RMweb Premium

We took our own!

26110957805_387ec9cff5_z.jpg

Peter

Likewise I walked across to my Motorhome and got a cold beer out of the fridge and made myself a sandwich.

But that did not help all the other visitors who may have fancied a pint at lunchtime

• RMweb Gold

The notice we were given by TRANSDEV that they were pulling the plug on their commercial operation we don't subsidise was too late to even get into the modelling press let alone organise anything else. As much advance publicity of the alternative bus service as we could organise was then given. Options for 2017 are on the post-show review list.

Thanks for that.  Appreciate it!

I'm not suggesting that there should be any subsidy, I'm happy to pay for transport to and from the Station.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that.  Appreciate it!

I'm not suggesting that there should be any subsidy, I'm happy to pay for transport to and from the Station.

Problem is TRANSDEV stated, and we can only assume what they said is correct, that low patronage in previous years on Sun & Mon has made the route uneconomic except on Saturday. The outcome they would only run the 197 route on Saturday plus their standard, hourly, No 11 on Sun & Mon.  There was a bus link on Sun & Mon, just less often.  If that statement by TRANSDEV is correct then it is also likely to be true for any other company; a dilemma to be appraised.

• RMweb Gold

Possibly the same cause as what becomes known as "Freshers Flu" at Uni at start of every year.  it is the mix of bugs from all over the country into one place, I've never looked up a reason but guess it is people getting exposed to minor regional variations of bugs that they therefore have less resistance to.

• RMweb Gold

An update for those of our visitors who come by bus. Bus link problems potentially escalating for the 2017 Show.

The Sunday number 11 route from the station to the racecourse is under threat. (See http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/…/14399164.Services_on_15_York…/… )

Suggest you all email an objection to the cut back on this service to buses@york.gov.uk to try to get the service retained to the Racecourse and Bishopthorpe.  As Bank Hol Mon is also a Sunday service day that could mean that the only bus link available is on the Saturday.

If the Sunday 11 does get axed that Transdev (note I am not shouting) may run the 197; the alternative would for the show organisers to contact other operators to see if any are willing to try it out, all local operators provide vehicles for the service on many race days so it is not a Transdev exclusive

• RMweb Gold

If the Sunday 11 does get axed that Transdev (note I am not shouting) may run the 197; the alternative would for the show organisers to contact other operators to see if any are willing to try it out, all local operators provide vehicles for the service on many race days so it is not a Transdev exclusive

Options with one of the other bus companies in the area is obviously one of the options on the committee discussion list for 2017, however, if we have to subsidise/underwrite a bus link that can only come from ticket income. I'm not suggesting officially as YMRS you object to this cut back but as the proposal is out for consultation commenting is a response the City Council are inviting. As a personal view it seems a reasonable thing to do.

Also apologies if you think it was shouting but I thought the company name was spelt with all caps.

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

Travel from the railway station to the exhibtion had become a problem at Stafford and non of the main stream or local bus companies showed any interest in supplying a service or even bothered to quote.

Stafford Railway Circle approached the local bus preservation society, it still of course adds a extra charge to the overall exhibition costs as we make a substantial donation, but our belief is that the extra income derived from visitors who come by train is a important factor and we are helping to keep the preserved buses.

Having spent the weekend in York this Easter I found a number of local bus services ran from the city centre to the racecourse over the weekend and as a over 60 they were free to use.

A little pre exhibition research on the internet gave me all the bus stops, bus numbers, and timetables

Hope it helps

Terry

• RMweb Premium

I sympathise with the issues at both Stafford and York with the withdrawal of bus services between the Station and the venue - we faced similar at one time in Derby when using Moorways Sports Centre. 

However our show is now at The Roundhouse and is right next to the station - a bit like having the York show at the Railway Museum!! Last year it was noticeable when a train arrived as we got a queue five minutes later !

Peter The Museum approached us (me) earlier in the year about doing this.  When I responded with the amount of room we need etc. they decided they couldn't possibly have the Show at the Museum.

So that one is a non starter and not our fault!

Peter

Peter The Museum approached us (me) earlier in the year about doing this.  When I responded with the amount of room we need etc. they decided they couldn't possibly have the Show at the Museum.

So that one is a non starter and not our fault!

Peter

Plus car parking would not be free if arriving by car and where would trader exhibition vans go

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't being serious, though I like the idea of having my LBSC layout in front of Gladstone!

Peter

Thread drift but I wonder if that could be arranged as a one-off?  SLS Recruitment stand (we saved Gladstone) plus your layout?

Archived