Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Did you remove the printed nameplate, if so how? I'd like to rename mine and get an etched works plate as well.

Thanks.

Steve

No just stuck the nameplates over the top with double sided tape.

The plates where made by Narrow Planet for my Sentinel fleet at 2mm high, Dodo has 2mm high plates and only just cover, really the plates need to be made 2.5mm high.

What suppliers are there for the plates set, must have works plate, as Narrow Planet only list Dodo as a set? I expect that they can supply to order but the enquiry will have to wait till after the holidays. Just for reference are there others out thre who do plates?

From conversations with threee suppliers of the locos, there are going to be shortages for second purchases for quite a while whilst Hornby re-stocks the Locos, and few g/ttes that the same ones will be repeated. They are around the shops at present, but theres going to be a gap, I for one need a couple more, but cannot afford now, only in a few weeks when the supplies have dried up. Hattons for instance will not take any further orders till Hornby sort out new deliveries as and when.........

Stephen

What suppliers are there for the plates set, must have works plate, as Narrow Planet only list Dodo as a set? I expect that they can supply to order but the enquiry will have to wait till after the holidays. Just for reference are there others out thre who do plates?

From conversations with threee suppliers of the locos, there are going to be shortages for second purchases for quite a while whilst Hornby re-stocks the Locos, and few g/ttes that the same ones will be repeated. They are around the shops at present, but theres going to be a gap, I for one need a couple more, but cannot afford now, only in a few weeks when the supplies have dried up. Hattons for instance will not take any further orders till Hornby sort out new deliveries as and when.........

Stephen

I think Narrow Planet do custom Peckett works plates although I might have been looking at the wrong ones. They do an early or late style, I would like to get some as well but not sure what I would need to get.

steve.

Yes, Narrow Planet also do the later Peckett workplates. But I didn't link them because they were made well after production of W4s stopped in 1906. I don't know what date they changed though. One of the industrial experts will probably know.

https://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/collections/works-plate-styles?page=4

Other nameplates are available from the usual sources. But most of them are generic and I don't know of anyone else that puts the number and build date on the worksplates.

No connection to NP.

Jason

Following my review of the all new W4 Class Peckett 0-4-0ST, in stunning Huntley & Palmers Lined Blue Livery, here's a quick running session featuring the Peckett doing what she was built for, shunting.
As can be seen she is a superb performer, handling point-work with ease, even at crawl speeds. 

Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An1-N9SX7UQ

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Lets have a tank on a  plank competition.

Great idea! The 2017 challenge maybe?

This could be interesting.

The cylinders are 14 in × 20 in (360 mm × 510 mm). This might be a bit small though challenging. Think Chris Nevard's Brew Street.

Alternatively the coupled wheel diameter is 3 ft 3 1⁄2 in (1,003 mm) so this could provide the maximum length ( + fiddle yard )

Mmmmmmm

Rob.

• Like 1

Anyone tried EM or P4 as yet, it looks very easy at first glance. but the coupling rod screws would foul everything if moved outwards, needing new smaller retainers and possibly moving the cylinders outwards a bit to get working clearances.It is very tight around the slidebars.

The wheels look usable in EM, and look possible to re-machine for P4, just requiring new axles to the correct length. The original axles might work for EM. just filling in the ends.

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Got to say, IMHO Hornby have really nailed it with this one. Picked up MSC no. 11 from John Dutfields yesterday (chosen simply because of the stylish dark green livery), was so taken by it I just had to have Dodo as well - my first impulse purchase for quite a while and money well spent. Now planning a shunting plank.......

Anyone tried EM or P4 as yet, it looks very easy at first glance. but the coupling rod screws would foul everything if moved outwards, needing new smaller retainers and possibly moving the cylinders outwards a bit to get working clearances.It is very tight around the slidebars.

The wheels look usable in EM, and look possible to re-machine for P4, just requiring new axles to the correct length. The original axles might work for EM. just filling in the ends.

Stephen

Haven't stripped mine yet but I'm wondering if Ultrascale might do a P4f set of wheels just as they did for the chain-drive Sentinel? Or maybe a retyre and pull the wheel centres out a tad if clearances might allow.

Anyone tried EM or P4 as yet, 

I'm thinking about it, as yesterday I found a brand new Bachmann 4F that I have no recollection of ever buying, along with a Brassmaster Easichas P4 conversion kit and a set of Alan Gibson P4 wheels for it, so I am thinking along the lines of a small factory exchange sidings set up with the 4F dropping off and picking up a few wagons for the Peckett to shunt around the works yard. I initially thought of a brewery when I ordered the Peckett but it seems that idea might not be that original. ;)

Heres a picture of the inside

post-147-0-08902100-1482600009.jpg

and one showing that a Bachmann 36-558A 6 pin decoder is just a bit too big in case anyone was wondering

post-147-0-02983200-1482600108.jpg

The front decoder slot appears to permit a decoder of upto 10.5mm width and a height of 17mm with a depth of 2.2mm at the bottom

EDIT Discovered the Hornby 4 pin decoder is 18mm x 10mm  x 3.6mm so that presumably dictates the max dimensions of any decoder

The side slot occupied by the (annoying IMO) 4 pin socket and plug seems to be in the order of 15.1 x 7.4mm again with a depth of 2.2mm. Now to find a suitable decoder as I always adjust the speed curve so that a loco is on full power running at its realistic maximum which is something Hornbys basic decoder in its 4 pin or 8 pin form fails to cater for.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium

Great little loco . Just run mine for the first time. Impressive slow speed control . A really fantastic price of kit . Got to be contender for model of the year .Tricky one as I thought Rapidos APTE was a dead cert, but for all it's diminutive size this locos certainly a show stopper. Beautiful blue colour, fantastic lining too.

• RMweb Premium

Great little loco . Just run mine for the first time. Impressive slow speed control . A really fantastic price of kit . Got to be contender for model of the year .Tricky one as I thought Rapidos APTE was a dead cert, but for all it's diminutive size this locos certainly a show stopper. Beautiful blue colour, fantastic lining too

I would have had money on Model Rails USA Dock Tank, but this has pipped it I think. I hope everyone at Hornby are pleased with themselves, becasue they should be

• RMweb Gold

Missed the Postie!! Never mind I know where his route takes him so easily tracked him down.

What a nice loco. Smooth running down to about a scale 6mph on my track. Just right for shuttling wagons from the sidings to the gasworks branch.

Didn't realise it was quite so small, about the size of an RCH coke wagon. Makes the BWT look positinely enormous.

• Like 3