Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

Each to their own Jason, I worked an industrial loco just before Christmas on two days with different firemen. One used a plank and had coal on the floor as well as the bunker as it wasn't adequate for the day's running - the other coaled up during the day and kept the floor clear. And this was on an engine with connections to your title. :)

It will often depend on drivers too. Some will not like coal on the floor, making comments like "I'm driving this engine, not mining it." I have generally learnt that it is better to keep the floor clear.

Roy

It will often depend on drivers too. Some will not like coal on the floor, making comments like "I'm driving this engine, not mining it." I have generally learnt that it is better to keep the floor clear.

Roy

I'm far too easy going as a driver to fall out with my fireman over coal on the floor; apart from when it comes to cleanliness of the engine, both in the cab and on the loco itself. My firemen generally learn that they will be busy and helping me clean the loco if they aren't already - and that there is no time for tea until the service begins.

However this has nothing to do with the delightful W4 which ought to make landfall at our house tomorrow and then will get NCB'd.

Edited by Sir Hadyn
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ok has everyone taped up the piggy bank and pre-ordered the black Peckett?

Here's a nice one you can customise to the appropriate colour to remind you what colour you ordered.

http://www.bakerross.co.uk/train-ceramic-coin-banks?&mkwid=sJ4j1zBND_dm&pcrid=161512525187&kword=&match=&plid=&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=BR+%7C+UK+%7C+Shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=sJ4j1zBND%7Cpcrid%7C161512525187%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cpdv%7Cm%7C&gclid=CKeBh-HrstECFUtsGwodhKoKmQ

Hopefully then we can avoid the crisis of the last few pages again ;)

• Like 1

Yes, some black versions are already on order, seconds from the announcement, but it will according to Hornby be December 17, at a pre planned delivery slot from China. What is seems they are unable to do so far is get any extra factory time to produce more of the first three. They are actively looking into the matter, but will obviously not give sensitive information away.

It is obvious that Hornby assumed the first batch would carry them over till the Black version topped up supplies, and then a year later they would do other liveries if the demand went on. It has back fired on them with the sell out, and the Chinese are not able to build more "just like that".

The extra ones I wanted were for projects and alterations for myself plus some for other modellers who cant do the work or the painting involved.

It is only my opinion, but Hornby in the situation they are in, they dearly need sales and look what has happened, a sell out that has left customers and above all, small model shops without supplies for a year.

It does not help the hobby to have this Glut and Famine sales technique, it will slowly and surely strangle off the hobby if it continues, not tomorrow, but over the next few years.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, some black versions are already on order, seconds from the announcement, but it will according to Hornby be December 17, at a pre planned delivery slot from China. What is seems they are unable to do so far is get any extra factory time to produce more of the first three. They are actively looking into the matter, but will obviously not give sensitive information away.

It is obvious that Hornby assumed the first batch would carry them over till the Black version topped up supplies, and then a year later they would do other liveries if the demand went on. It has back fired on them with the sell out, and the Chinese are not able to build more "just like that".

The extra ones I wanted were for projects and alterations for myself plus some for other modellers who cant do the work or the painting involved.

It is only my opinion, but Hornby in the situation they are in, they dearly need sales and look what has happened, a sell out that has left customers and above all, small model shops without supplies for a year.

It does not help the hobby to have this Glut and Famine sales technique, it will slowly and surely strangle off the hobby if it continues, not tomorrow, but over the next few years.

I am sure Hornby would love to be able to see into the future, not least as a few lottery wins would sort them. Nonetheless, I am sure that they are very happy that their investment in the Peckett has been successful and they do not have capital employed in unsold stock.

Personally I hope they do not repeat the first three liveries. Why? Firstly it rewards those who preordered and now have highly sort after models.

Secondly, if you and others just want them to alter, other similar releases will do. They do not have to be the same three.

Lastly, if Hornby does another 2/3 similar liveries, some people will buy additional locos that they would not otherwise purchase.

In that way, Hornby wins again - and that is good for them and good for us.

Roy

The problem for Hornby is that they had no way of  predicting HOW attractive the Peckett would be in time to secure additional slots for second runs of the first issue, let alone bringing forward production of the "black" Peckett.  If they had misjudged the market and ordered more without ensuing sales, then the result would have been a flood of Pecketts ending up unwanted on the Hattons bargain page.

Its what happens when you're just a "minor" foreign customer to a Chinese  manufacturing facility.

(and I'm NOT going  to call for repatriation of manufacturing...)

• RMweb Gold

How is selling out a problem for Hornby? All that inventory has realised it's value and they have plenty of other models in slots for the rest of the year. If the desire is genuine will these people melt away or be patient?

It's noticeable the chap from Hornby has avoided joining in the froth as it's going in circles ;)

Why do we need to know every move? it's possible to buy another of any of them but you may have to pay a premium if it's worth that to you. Alternatively wait till the furore dies down and pick one up later. I've manage to get several limited edition models, at less than new prices, where I missed the first release of just by watching eBay and second hand dealers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How is selling out a problem for Hornby? All that inventory has realised it's value and they have plenty of other models in slots for the rest of the year. If the desire is genuine will these people melt away or be patient?

It's noticeable the chap from Hornby has avoided joining in the froth as it's going in circles ;)

Why do we need to know every move? it's possible to buy another of any of them but you may have to pay a premium if it's worth that to you. Alternatively wait till the furore dies down and pick one up later. I've manage to get several limited edition models, at less than new prices, where I missed the first release of just by watching eBay and second hand dealers.

Added to which we don't know how many they made of each version, we know the H&P one was 'sold out at Hornby' months ago, and we don't know which shops might still have stocks - albeit possibly only in ones & twos and maybe or maybe not of all three versions.

The critical thing for Hornby is that they appear to have sold all that were made (or at least imported to the UK) and we can hope that has been profitable for them - which surely is actually what their business is meant to do?  Plus, in the best of marketing speak, they seem to have some unsatisfied demand (maybe?) which means that the Year 2 model actually stands a chance of being equally successful in sales terms = continuing success for this model and profit from it (I hope).

Personally I hope they do not repeat the first three liveries. Why? Firstly it rewards those who preordered and now have highly sort after models.

It looks like my preordered Dodo never reached the stockist (query ongoing). Now, it could be a problem with them rather than Hornby, but other instances suggest it was a supply issue. If so - I don't think this is something to be expected from a major manufacturer, and they need to look at fulfilling orders at the very least.

Anyway, even if I had received my Peckett, the last concern in my mind would be its "flipping" rarity.

This should be ubiquitous. Isn't that the point with an industrial? :dontknow:

Exactly the attitude of those 17th century sailors on Mauritius...

Quite right too - as I responded the last time some clown invited me to visit an aquarium, the only fish I'm interested in are coated in batter  :jester:

wow, not a Peckett but not a million miles from one of only 3 memories of working Industrial steam in the UK I was young enough to remember

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sharpeandrew/8068449532/

(not my picture)

The engine in question is an RSH, available in kit form from HighLevel. Another example can be seen here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vOW9gHT8ELU

Cheers,

David

While not 100% accurate, would some kind of bodgery using a chopped about caley pug body and a peckett chassis be feasible or is the caley pug substantially larger (width/height wise, in model form) than the peckett? Edited by D5541

The problem for Hornby is that they had no way of  predicting HOW attractive the Peckett would be in time to secure additional slots for second runs of the first issue, let alone bringing forward production of the "black" Peckett.  If they had misjudged the market and ordered more without ensuing sales, then the result would have been a flood of Pecketts ending up unwanted on the Hattons bargain page.

Its what happens when you're just a "minor" foreign customer to a Chinese  manufacturing facility.

(and I'm NOT going  to call for repatriation of manufacturing...)

It must be very difficult indeed, but I would hope they had done their initial market research, which would’ve helped. I’m glad they have gone down as well as they seem to have done, and left a few potential purchasers like myself without one. I didn’t need one, or want one that badly, otherwise I would have pre ordered one, but still, I will in all probability buy one at some point in the future. The problem Hornby has is gauging how many people are in my situation and pitch future production accordingly, so when that particularly alluring and suitably anonymous livery appears, and the Peckett market is suitably bloated and belching so that a few are actually left on the shelves, I and those like me will pounce, so they need to estimate livery types and numbers carefully. After that it will be a matter of just keeping the collector market ticking over with regular new and strikingly different liveries so as to keep the revenues flowing.

Edited by Dick Turpin

• RMweb Gold

While not 100% accurate, would some kind of bodgery using a chopped about caley pug body and a peckett chassis be feasible or is the caley pug substantially larger (width/height wise, in model form) than the peckett?

IIRC the Caley Pug has a somewhat unusual distribution of features between the body and the chassis.

It would also seem tragic to discard the lovely Peckett body in favour of something so crude.

However, nothing is impossible if one is skilled enough and reckless enough. :jester:

John

While not 100% accurate, would some kind of bodgery using a chopped about caley pug body and a peckett chassis be feasible or is the caley pug substantially larger (width/height wise, in model form) than the peckett?

I would dearly love to see a decent Caley puggy or its North British counterpart, but I fear that the Hornby body isn't the way to get there, being both overscale and lacking the characteristic daylight between the front of the cab and the saddle-tank - basically the firebox is far too large in order to accommodate the motor. There are ways to get around it, and I've tried, but the biggest stumbling block remains the size - as purchased it sits too high on the chassis and even if you replace it you're still left with a body which is not only too big but looks too big.

I'd also say that butchering a Peckett in order to bodge up this particular sow's ear is the sort of thing that gets you crucified on barn doors. :butcher:

I'm quite sure all suppliers read these threads, and no doubt the threads of their competitors. Its essentially free market research.

They'll take it all with several pinches of salt if they have any sense though.

Paul A, 

Here's a wild thought. What if Bachmann agents are watching this thread and decided that they too should build an industrial? How cool would that be??

Cheers,

David

I'd say that they're probably kicking themselves for choosing the Wickham Trolley instead of a wee Barclay. The Wickham may have a certain novelty value if you're that way inclined but unlike a Peckett or a Barclay it could never be described as a really useful engine.

• Like 1