Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Agreeing with much that has been said above, they had long lives, so just about any vans or open wagons from the early 1900s through to BR days would look appropriate.

Mine is pulling a selection of pre-grouping wagons, mostly LSWR and GWR, as befits the Reading area where the Huntley & Palmers premises were. Technically, Reading was also an SECR outpost, so I could legitimately include some SECR wagons too (I think ... this is all conjecture on my part).

I will also, at some time, put some BR wagons behind it. I have in mind to remove the Huntley & Palmers sign writing and leave it as a rather attractive 'generic' industrial loco, which will give me even more scope as to what is seen behind the drawbar!

Most of the prototype examples of the early W4 class (as modelled by Hornby) would have been all but extinct by the mid 50's.

In addition, the Salter safety valves would almost certainly have been replaced by a more modern design by this time period too. Typically, many of the Peckett locos working through the 50's and into the 60's either had their safety valves modified, or were of more modern Peckett build designs/classifications. 

Paul A 

Having completely missed out on any these in the first issue I thought I better order one now - plain black suits me for steam locomotives so, at sometime whenever, Lilleshall should be coming along to work the "industrial connection" that is yet to be created.

For some reason this thought really pleases me. A lot. :)

Edited by LBRJ
  • Like 2

Most of the prototype examples of the early W4 class (as modelled by Hornby) would have been all but extinct by the mid 50's.

In addition, the Salter safety valves would almost certainly have been replaced by a more modern design by this time period too. Typically, many of the Peckett locos working through the 50's and into the 60's either had their safety valves modified, or were of more modern Peckett build designs/classifications. 

Paul A 

832, the former Huntley & Palmers loco, survived to 1957 with the original safety valves and dome cover. There is a photo ot it in the latest Railway Bylines (issue 22, Vol.4).

Paul A 

Hi.  What are the differences between the W4 as modelled by Hornby and the Peckett which ended up as BR No. 1, Hercules, on the Western region at Swansea in the early days of nationalisation?

Thanks

Roger

Hi.  What are the differences between the W4 as modelled by Hornby and the Peckett which ended up as BR No. 1, Hercules, on the Western region at Swansea in the early days of nationalisation?

Thanks

Roger

My 1948 Ian Allan Combined Volume shows No. 1 as being an 0-6-0T. No other details are given except that it was purchased by British Railways from Ystalyfera Tin Works.

832, the former Huntley & Palmers loco, survived to 1957 with the original safety valves and dome cover. There is a photo ot it in the latest Railway Bylines (issue 22, Vol.4).

There are ofcourse exceptions, but survival until 1957 was probably preceded by a period of storage before scrapping. Of interesting note is R2 UPPINGHAM which retained the safety valve cover but had pop type valves beneath.

Paul A.

Of interesting note is R2 UPPINGHAM which retained the safety valve cover but had pop type valves beneath.

As seen in 1969.

14520626704_0715a32bbf_z.jpgUppingham @ Wirksworth Quarry by Tilt Cab Man, on Flickr

and 1965:

3015333903_673563b31f_z.jpgPeckett 1257 and Black Hawthorn 266 Bourne and Shaw Wirksworth 13 Feb 1965 by Charlie Verrall, on Flickr

P

• Like 6

Thanks

Roger

Discussed earlier in the thread, probably about 10 pages back. Definitely a W4 0-4-0ST.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

My 1948 Ian Allan Combined Volume shows No. 1 as being an 0-6-0T. No other details are given except that it was purchased by British Railways from Ystalyfera Tin Works.

If photos of it are any kind of guide it was an 0-4-0T - not an 0-6-0T.

I can't find any photos of it on line I'm afraid.

Thanks

Roger

post-2274-0-21421000-1489677071.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

If photos of it are any kind of guide it was an 0-4-0T - not an 0-6-0T.

I can't find any photos of it on line I'm afraid.

Thanks for that. I always used to believe that the Combined Volume could be trusted. I suppose Ian Allan was just getting in to his stride after leaving his job with the Southern Railway.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. I always used to believe that the Combined Volume could be trusted. I suppose Ian Allan was just getting in to his stride after leaving his job with the Southern Railway.

We can all sufref form tpynig rorers.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John & Jason.   Thanks, it was indeed on page 82. I missed that due to being on holiday. Some GW tapered buffers and a modified dome/safety valve. Looks like the black one due later this year would be a good starting point. As one book says it was only named on one side I wonder if plate will be available singly?

Roger

• Like 1

Paul A 

I'm not so sure about extinction, although W4s will gradually have become outnumbered by later variants. However, I think it would probably be true to say that few W4s survived in original condition and livery. It was said of Pecketts that they were cheap to buy but expensive to maintain and seem to have gone back to the factory quite often for general repairs and modifications.

The Hornby No.11 is an excellent case in point. Originally it was called Alexandria and looked just like Dodo, but at some point it went back to the Atlas Works for a new set of safety valves and dome [and who knows what else] and emerged repainted in what appears to be the later version of the Peckett standard livery - not a fictitious MSC livery. 

Even if they didn't go back from the works few if any will have retained the original factory paintwork for 50 years.

• RMweb Premium

I believe 'George Jennings' of the Parkstone pottery line retained original safety valves to the end, which was the early 1960s (1963?). Certainly it was kept in good condition with a bright clean dome.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1

I am not a "Rule #1" type at all, but with Industrial locos in industrial applications there has to be some leeway,

After all, if Lloyd-Jackson Industries had really existed, they would have kept their locomotives in the best state to suit their purpose.

• Like 1

I believe 'George Jennings' of the Parkstone pottery line retained original safety valves to the end, which was the early 1960s (1963?). Certainly it was kept in good condition with a bright clean dome.

5569439077_3bcd9edd0d_z.jpgGeorge Jennings' South Western Pottery, Parkstone, Poole, Dorset by Alwyn Ladell, on Flickr

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

A lot of these locomotives were kept like pets. Well turned out, and kept that way. If you had only one driver, and one locomotive, then that drivers job existed to keep that locomotive in good condition. Some were kept as clean as their main line counterparts. I've no intention of altering my No11. I'll await the arrival of the black variety, and possibly get a couple, if I'm not flattened in the rush....

Ian

• Like 4

Any suggestions on a suitable replacement for the safety valves onDodo? 247 Developments for example?

Forgive my ignorance but steam era stuff is very complex and way out of my comfort zone

Depends what you're really after. If you're talking about a like for like replacement of damaged or missing ones in order to exactly replicate Dodo or another loco you have photies of,  I'm afraid I can't help.

If on the other hand its a matter of running your Peckett convincingly without the valves, the easiest solution is to drill out the top of the dome to take two Ross pop valves*. A lot of early Pecketts in later life had their safety valves replaced but quite often retained the original domes. 

* if you're not familiar, like and unto those on No.11 - or Smokey Joe for that matter. 

• RMweb Gold

A lot of these locomotives were kept like pets. Well turned out, and kept that way. If you had only one driver, and one locomotive, then that drivers job existed to keep that locomotive in good condition. Some were kept as clean as their main line counterparts.

It's certainly a documented fact that the W4 used on the xxxx of xxxxxx Light Railway in Mid-Wales, near the English border, was kept in immaculate condition by her regular footplate crew, who never really liked to use the small diesel that the railways management bought to replace her.

Apparently they liked her to 'look smart' when working over B.R. metals into xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx yard with exchange traffic.

• Like 2

Depends what you're really after. If you're talking about a like for like replacement of damaged or missing ones in order to exactly replicate Dodo or another loco you have photies of, I'm afraid I can't help.

If on the other hand its a matter of running your Peckett convincingly without the valves, the easiest solution is to drill out the top of the dome to take two Ross pop valves*. A lot of early Pecketts in later life had their safety valves replaced but quite often retained the original domes.

* if you're not familiar, like and unto those on No.11 - or Smokey Joe for that matter.

Great, Ross-pop it is, thank you

Visited WimRail 2017 yesterday and was surprised to see George Jennings!

Colin Locker was showing his excellent layout "Parkstone Goods", with a wonderful (sound fitted) Hornby W4 detailed as George Jennings: -

post-3433-0-58357100-1489944311_thumb.jpg

Edited by gz3xzf
  • Like 11