Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Still a tenner cheaper than the Barlclay which is an inferior model.

Yet it's still around £90 current prices..

Nice model but there are much better models available for less than that. It's the price of a decent large tank engine or 0-6-0. Even some of the express passenger locomotives are less.

I must add that I'm not complaining about the price, just pointing out that it's not cheap.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

But not at lets get rid of quick prices, as ADB says the world has moved on, the Barclay has taken some of the sales but still the second run of Pecketts I would say has more than wiped it's face for a second run.

As I said, "All but on at sensible prices".  It will be interesting to see how much the bidding examples realise. I wonder what those impetuous/impatient purchasers that bought at around the £400.00 mark feel about the prices they paid now?

P

I see that Peckett 560 (R3615) has now been removed from the "Coming Soon" section on the Hornby website and, while it still advertised as October 2018, I fully expect it to fall further back to 2019.  This is not good news as taken with the backsliding of other models, it seems to indicate that Hornby are failing to find production slots for their products.

it seems to indicate that Hornby are failing to find production slots for their products.

Or in this world of clandestine marketing, trying to move current stocks more quickly.  (I do like a good conspiracy theory). 

Hornby have managed to surprise and deliver prior to expected delivery dates in the past.

• Like 1

£90 is cheap for an OO gauge loco to modern standards of design and construction. If you sort locos by price, low to high, on the Hornby website, the Peckett appears on the first page (out of six). The only things cheaper are a bunch of Railroad brand locos plus the Sentinel 4wDH, Hunslett Austerity and J50.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The latter, if anything, but Hornby don't have any left and the "usual suspects" have stopped offering any significant discount, which suggests they are shifting fairly well.

John

There is a a major retailer that takes out full page adverts in the magazines still with stock for less than £85. Don’t mean to be oblique but I believe it is against forum rules to advertise. All of the other ‘major box shifters’ have stock albeit at full rrp. Interestingly future releases are all advertised for significantly less even though they have more elaborate and arguably more attractive liveries.

I take the point that it’s low season for model railway purchases (and I’ve just blown a major hole in my railway budget by buying a motorbike!) but I do still believe the Peckett market is largely sated and if Hornby had released all of the Pecketts planned at once we would now be looking at discounts especially on the black version.

Interesting comment Mike Parkin but I think a lot of people were waiting for the Black Peckett as they could paint it any colour they liked, as the previous liveried examples were too nice to strip and repaint.

I think you are correct though that releasing items in the Summer holidays when there are other pressures on people’s budgets would lead to slower initial sales.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens with the next release.

David

• Like 1

• Administrators

There is a a major retailer that takes out full page adverts in the magazines still with stock for less than £85. Don’t mean to be oblique but I believe it is against forum rules to advertise. All of the other ‘major box shifters’ have stock albeit at full rrp. Interestingly future releases are all advertised for significantly less even though they have more elaborate and arguably more attractive liveries.

If you mean Antics, I saw one on the shelf of the Coventry shop for £78 yesterday and was tempted. Mind you, I was also tempted by a Thunderbird 3 kit and one for the Hawk spacecraft from Space 1999, so I'm pretty catholic in my tastes. 

You can order from their web store from any store according to the very helpful assistant.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

If you mean Antics, I saw one on the shelf of the Coventry shop for £78 yesterday and was tempted. Mind you, I was also tempted by a Thunderbird 3 kit and one for the Hawk spacecraft from Space 1999, so I'm pretty catholic in my tastes. 

You can order from their web store from any store according to the very helpful assistant.

I didn’t but that is very good price. They have 2 available online and 2 in store as I type this. The fact that these and others for less than rrp are available strikes me as interesting given how quickly the first batch went and prices being asked then and after they sold out.

• Administrators

I wonder if plain black is less appealing, especially when pretty colours will soon be arriving. I tried to order a PLA version from my local shop just after the announcement and those had already gone. 

Hornby have, to date, produced Pecketts in two different shades of green, blue, and black, with two more to come with the same green as one of the earlier ones, plus another blue similar to the earlier one (Huntley & Palmers). I'm just surprised they haven't found a nice red or maroon one to produce to round it out a bit.

That's not intended as any sort of complaint, more as an observation - I have the first three releases in my possession as it is. :)

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if plain black is less appealing, especially when pretty colours will soon be arriving.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. In colourful liveries it does look very attractive even on the shelf so I'd guess a lot bought purely for that. I had one of each of the first batch but haven't bothered duplicating them or adding the black one. I have however ordered the darker green and PLA versions purely because they can be swapped around for a bit of colour on my layout.
  • Like 1

The low dome on the Lilleshall Peckett is tempting but the trouble with the black livery is that I already have three black L&Y puggies and I don't reckon I'll get my money's worth out of another very similar-sized black 0-4-0ST, hence waiting for a coloured one

Green Pecketts in Australia before the UK ! Who would have thought that ? I have ordered mine from Metro Hobbies.

https://metrohobbies.com.au/Hornby-peckett-works-livery-no-560-1893.html

It seems about par for the course at the moment, Lilleshall arrived in Australia before the UK too (mentioned somewhere above!).  Perhaps its cheaper to ship a pallett of models by air to Aus rather than the container wending its way to the UK, then Australian stock being repackaged and being sent back the same distance?

Whatever, its good that A: 560 is out in the wild and B: the October date suggested by Hornby is a little closer to reality....

EDIT: And, as of this afternoon (4th September), Hornby have reinstated 560 on the "Coming Soon" page AND it's listed as being "due September".

Edited by Hroth

• 2 weeks later...

Can I have a look underneath please ? Which Kadee did you use ?

I will have to work out why my Peckett is so jerky and rough in its running before I fit Kadees though. I have already spread the pickups a bit as per previous suggestions but that has not helped. What else can I try ? I have attempted to remove the body from the chassis as per the instructions but it is not coming off ; I am reluctant to force it at this stage.

Edited by brian777999

Interesting comments about colourful liveries. I have on my PC hundreds of colour photos of industrials and at a rough guess 60% are green, about 30% black and red/maroon and blue sharing the last 10%. I am just about to start painting a RSH 0-4-0 tank ( High Level) for my friend Martin Neild and he said he wanted it painted Maroon, so I thought I would have a look at some prototype colour photos and found it hard to find any painted that colour!

In the folder for the Peckett, the majority were painted green. What did vary was the frame and valance colour, a number being painted red. A fair number were plain green with no lining.

I know my sample of prototype liveries is relatively small but it does suggest Pecketts were either Green or Black, the Blue ones being an exception.

Me, I shall be repainting a Black one into unlined green, red frames, red footplate valance and red coupling rods.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It seems about par for the course at the moment, Lilleshall arrived in Australia before the UK too (mentioned somewhere above!).  Perhaps

... that’s why they are taking so long to arrive in the UK...

They’ve secretly offshored Hornby to Maidstone NSW !!!

:-)

In the folder for the Peckett, the majority were painted green. What did vary was the frame and valance colour, a number being painted red.

David

My Vanessa was going to be a repaint to red. But I rather like her in black, just with a red valance to brighten her up.

post-5264-0-17480100-1536774059_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

My Vanessa was going to be a repaint to red. But I rather like her in black, just with a red valance to brighten her up.

attachicon.gifImg_4798.jpg

That red valance lifts the appearance a lot, Bigherb. It also gives the effect of being an inverted version of the colour scheme on the Andrew Barclay behind.  :yes:

My newly acquired Peckett (from an Australian hobby shop) is binding somewhere ; it is very hesitant at low speeds. Any suggestions as to how I can find and eliminate this ? Twenty hours of running in has not improved things at all so I am going to have to start searching for the problem.

NOTE : I usually buy second hand locos and so I have not encountered this problem before. I am not sending it back as the postage costs would make it not worth while.

Edited by brian777999

• RMweb Gold

My newly acquired Peckett (from an Australian hobby shop) is binding somewhere ; it is very hesitant at low speeds. Any suggestions as to how I can find and eliminate this ? Twenty hours of running in has not improved things at all so I am going to have to start searching for the problem.

NOTE : I usually buy second hand locos and so I have not encountered this problem before. I am not sending it back as the postage costs would make it not worth while.

Are you able to show a short close up video ?

There could be any number of reasons (all of which you could get offered here), but could lead you up several blind alleys in diagnosis.