Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Never had a problem with the Pecketts, but both my Barclays where hesitant it was the pickups needed tweaking, they were only collecting from two wheels.

I have already spread the pickups slightly and that has not helped. I am fairly certain that it is the rods/valve motion but I am not sure where to start with that. There is a stiff point that occurs once per cycle but I do not know which side.

Edited by brian777999

I have already spread the pickups slightly and that has not helped. I am fairly certain that it is the rods/valve motion but I am not sure where to start with that. There is a stiff point that occurs once per cycle but I do not know which side.

The side where the rods are across the wheel centres at the stiff point.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold

My newly acquired Peckett (from an Australian hobby shop) is binding somewhere ; it is very hesitant at low speeds. Any suggestions as to how I can find and eliminate this ? Twenty hours of running in has not improved things at all so I am going to have to start searching for the problem.

NOTE : I usually buy second hand locos and so I have not encountered this problem before. I am not sending it back as the postage costs would make it not worth while.

Is it possible (without really knowing how these things are arranged on the Hornby Peckett) that the keeper plate is bearing too tightly on the axles on the underside of the chassis?

The side where the rods are across the wheel centres at the stiff point.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

So could that be a quartering issue, then? If you had a second Peckett, you could try swapping wheelsets, perhaps?

Edited by Captain Kernow

I had a problem with one of the latest Pecketts having a rotational bind.

Trouble was traced mis-adjusted pick ups on the front axle permanently biasing the front axle to the left hand side by taking up the axle sideplay. This in turn caused the left crank pin bold head to contact the rear of the crosshead.

The pic might show what was happening a little better.

post-508-0-77993900-1537011661_thumb.jpg

I affected a cure by making up some split plasticard washers that slipped over the axle between the rear boss of the wheel and the axle bearing to eliminate the sideplay and keep the axle centered.

I found the washer method easier than trying to equalise the pressure on the pick ups.

P

Trouble was traced mis-adjusted pick ups on the front axle permanently biasing the front axle to the left hand side by taking up the axle sideplay. This in turn caused the left crank pin bold head to contact the rear of the crosshead.

attachicon.gifPeckettMedalling-45-EditSm.jpg

I affected a cure by making up some split plasticard washers that slipped over the axle between the rear boss of the wheel and the axle bearing to eliminate the sideplay and keep the axle centered.

I found the washer method easier than trying to equalise the pressure on the pick ups.

P

It looks to me as if the crosshead guide and the support bracket at the top of the picture are out of alignment almost as if someone squeezed them a bit hard (inadvertently, of course).

Cheers,

David

It looks to me as if the crosshead guide and the support bracket at the top of the picture are out of alignment almost as if someone squeezed them a bit hard (inadvertently, of course).

Cheers,

David

Yes, that is what I was thinking too. I will have a close look at my loco later to see if there is something similar going on.

attachicon.gifPeckettMedalling-45-EditSm.jpg

P

I had a similar problem with my Black Peckett, which wasn't present on the MSC and H&P versions. The problem, at least in my case, was the connecting rod was rubbing on the top crosshead guide. By ever so slightly bending the connecting rod inwards, the problem was resolved. I hope this helps, as at least on mine, it seems to run a whole better. 

I have upended mine and put it on the loco rest while slowly applying power to the wheels. I can see where the binding is but the only problem I can identify is that one of the red/outside rods (connecting to the valve motion) has no side play in it all whereas the rod on the other side has a small amount of play ie. the nut seems too ''tight'' on one side. At this stage I am not sure how to remedy this or even if this is the problem but I will keep fiddling until a solution is found.  All suggestions are welcome...... I have already tried swearing at it and that did not help !

Edited by brian777999
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You the seller by any chance?

The seller is the class 15 preservation group, a loco I’ve waited all my life to see working.

So I for one think it’s a good cause.

• Like 1

My loco seems to now run quite nicely when it is inverted in the loco rest and power is applied to the wheels but when I put it on the track it is still hesitant at low speeds. Does this give anybody a clue to the problem ?

I hesitate to suggest it, but ..... dirty / uneven track?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks for the heads up on the Lilleshall wagons as I have just bought them!

As the person who started the thread on the Lilleshall Co in the section on Industrial Railways and having worked for the Lilleshall Company for one summer as a student I have more than an effection for the company and it’s Railways. I have 2 of the Lilleshall Pecketts and at least one of them I will convert to P4.

David

• Like 3

Cheers,

David

As it came it was very slightly bent inward at the motion bracket end  (I've seen considerably worse.) It looks exaggerated in my photograph due to pincushion distortion of the wide angle lens and the centre axis of the lens not being directly in the centre of the image.

By coincidence I've just had a brand new Lilleshall dropped of this morning to have a look at. The owner received it on Saturday and it runs as rough as a dog and always stalls on turnouts. A quick inspection revealed the vertical (sprung) part of one wiper pick up on the rear axle missing completely but very hard to spot.

He'll be getting told to return it to the vendor. 

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Well it looks like the next Peckett (560)should be in the shops for sale next week. Be interested to see how this Base coat green sells against the black version recently released.

I have 560 on order as if i had gone for the black one i would need to repaint it but 560 it will just be the valance below the foot platet painted black & the No removed then named

I have had 560 on order since it was announced, because I dithered over Lilleshall and thought I'd missed it.  Then I found that Derails had a few preorder slots for Lilleshall left, so I snapped one up.  I'm still going to have 560 because I went for the H&P rather than Dodo....

Ok, that sounds a bit batty, but hey, Rule 1!

• RMweb Premium

I visited a toy fair yesterday and one of the traders had a couple of Pecketts on sale at £85 each, including a Huntly & Palmer example. The same trader usually attends the Brentwood toy fair the next one of which is this coming Saturday.

• Like 1