Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

Mine did, indeed, arrive while I was away. It's certainly a lovely little model to look at, although it is a little stiff and jerky at low speeds. I hope that will disappear with running in - when I have time, I'll set up the test oval and just let it run for a while. Otherwise, it's a bit irritating, because realistic operation requires that it runs slowly most of the time, so smoothness is essential.

I would return it Mark. See my post above. It does not get any better. Mine was seemingly the best of a number of locos I tried in my local shop.

Rob.

• Like 1

From Hattons' website: 'Please note that a small allocation of our stock for this item will arrive in September the remainder arriving in mid October'

Hatton's website now saying: "Due into stock on or after Monday 29th October 2018"! I had been hoping to receive mine this week,

Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ran my Works Peckett in today and it is as good as the original three. My Lilleshall is the one that has disappointing running compared with the others.

Certainly seems that there is a degree of variance in the running abilities of the more recent releases - I don't recall any comment on the initial batches.

Roy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ran my Works Peckett in today and it is as good as the original three. My Lilleshall is the one that has disappointing running compared with the others.

Certainly seems that there is a degree of variance in the running abilities of the more recent releases - I don't recall any comment on the initial batches.

Roy

My '560' arrived from Hattons earlier in the week, but with a busy week and my test track currently packed away hadn't had an opportunity to test run it, so had been reading the reports of jerky running earlier in the thread with a degree of concern. Finally resorted to a powering up a yard of flexitrack on a window sill this afternoon and spent a while shunting an ICI hopper up and down quite happily so looks as if I have a good one. I'll give it a proper run in next week.

I missed out on the earlier releases, so this is my first Peckett, and it really is a lovely little thing.

Edited by Invicta
  • Like 1

My shop supplies of the works liveried Peckett finally arrived at the end of the week. We may have had to wait a ling time for the model, but it does not disappoint and lives up to the standard of the previous releases. I still cannot believe that Hornby have packed so much detail into such a small model. Here are a few photos of the loco posed on the shop's layout. I still have some supplies left - I think I might want to keep them all!!

post-13478-0-06008700-1541364180_thumb.jpg

post-13478-0-52704900-1541364250_thumb.jpg

post-13478-0-68873000-1541364310_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I had a call from my shop regarding Niclausse saying they werent any longer able to supply at pre-order price. Thats my third such phone call in 2 weeks, from 3 different shops, on Hornby orders, the other two were wagon orders.

Ive declined the new price, ive a nearly Peckett full house,so with just the PLA one on order i’ll call it Time there, at 5.

I am guessing that the shops have fallen foul of the new Hornby Terms and Conditions. The new terms state that no shop is able to sell a new product for a discount greater than 10% of the RRP for the first 6 weeks after they are released. Hornby are red hot on checking this too! I think the pre-order price is a bit of a grey area however. I suppose if you had paid the full amount up front they should have honoured it, but if no money has changed hands then they feel they have to toe the Hornby line.

Well my first peckett went back to the shop today, weak whistle, chimney definitely not sat square and after an hour or so of running stopped dead and refused to move on dcc or analogue. Replaced with no fuss and a new one tested and running lovely. Hornby have done a cracking job making a lovely looking model though perhaps this latest batch aren't running as smoothly as the earlier ones.

Etched name and works plates on order from narrow planet, while the works plates are dated after W4 construction ceased it all has a personal relevance to the name.

I'll share some photos when they're fitted

• Like 1

Hi,

Has anyone found a clean method of removing the '560' and writing off the 'Works' Peckett, I tried my normal method of a quick flood of non-Acetone nail varnish remover and a wipe with a cotton bud. I don't know if Hornby have changed their method of applying markings but this time it took the green off the edge of the footplate as well. which no great loss as can just repaint that black,  but I also want to get the '560' neatly off the tank ready for the narrow planet nameplates I have on the way.

Regards

Neil

Hi,

Has anyone found a clean method of removing the '560' and writing off the 'Works' Peckett, I tried my normal method of a quick flood of non-Acetone nail varnish remover and a wipe with a cotton bud. I don't know if Hornby have changed their method of applying markings but this time it took the green off the edge of the footplate as well. which no great loss as can just repaint that black,  but I also want to get the '560' neatly off the tank ready for the narrow planet nameplates I have on the way.

Regards

Neil

On previous Pecketts, I have removed the printed number plates and lettering from the saddle tanks with T-cut. Even that will take a little paint as well, so persistent but light strokes are the way to go. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

3 new 0-4-0 Peckett W4's announced this morning.

R3702 Tytherington Stone Co 'Daphne'

R3703 S&KLR ' Bear'

R3761 Earl of Dudley's Round Oaks Works ' Lady Edith'

Interestingly the last 2 on the list are being labelled as 'Open Back Cab'

Thanks

Owen

Edited by Hippo
  • Like 1

Just succumbed and bought my first Peckett.

Model Railways Direct have them for just a tad over 66 pounds, less VAT was 55 apx plus postage to OZ (Australia).

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/locomotives-steam/Hornby-r3615-peckett-w4-0-4-0st-peckett-works-livery-560-1893/

They have a sale on.  44 left.

Mark

They get you in, don't they. They are very nice models, with only two flaws (in my book): the 4-pin DCC connection, and the weak whistle which breaks off if you look at it too hard!

My solutions were to wire a TCS M1 decoder to the 4-pin blanking plug, and to use Markits' turned brass whistles or, in one case, a piece of brass wire turned in the Dremel with a file (none were necessarily the same pattern as those that broke off). I was careful handling my Pecketts but it only takes one knock and that's it for the Hornby whistle. 

They look great and run very sweetly.

p.s. that's a great price, too.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

Flying Pig and have been running my 560 in on my slowing evolving shunting plank...  what a little beauty!!  560 that is, not Flying Pig!!!

Bought from AGR in Leighton Buzzard, so she was tested before purchase. Again excellent service from Anthony. So what of 560?  She's a little hesitant over a couple of points on my layout and the pick ups might need tweaking but otherwise she runs well and is incredibly quiet running.  

Ralph

Lambton 58

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think that I may have finally plucked up the courage to weather my 560............then again.....

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I think that I may have finally plucked up the courage to weather my 560............then again.....

Rob. 

Not weathered mine but painted the running plate black & fitted some name plates

45024014862_f5a88cd7db_c.jpgEvans & Bevan have bought the Loco from Peckett of Bristol  Name plates from 247 Developments by brian mosby, on Flickr

Edited by mozzer models
  • Like 9