Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, johnhutnick said:

Can anyone please tell me if the Peckett has been offered in GWR.    I may not have seen all the liveries.

No it hasn’t but Hattons do their Barclay 0.4.0 in GWR. 
https://www.hattons.co.uk/312303/hattons_originals_h4_ab14_002_andrew_barclay_0_4_0st_14_2047_705_in_gwr_green_with_shirtbutton_roundel/stockdetail.aspx

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, johnhutnick said:

Thanks.  I bought one GWR Barclay.  Now why wouldn't Hornby offer Great Western?

They could be waiting for an appropriate moment to announce one. Have you tried asking them if they're going to do one? There'll probably be many other takers for it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mozzer models said:

GWR had them from the Swansea Harbour Trust

works No 521, 1053, 1105, 

Yes but...

There were actually a total 7 Pecketts inherited by the GWR from the SWT and another 4 from Powlesand & Mason, although I don't think that the latter were W4s. Nor were all of the SWT ones for that matter, but those which were had higher running plates than the Hornby version [flush with the top of the buffer-beam] and "fully-round" cabs rather than the open back with two-part screen produced by Hornby.

Depending upon philosophy this may not be a deal breaker. Despite suffering both those differences and an eccentric dome I've found that the MSC one from the first batch scrubbs up very nicely as the one inherited by the G&SWR. I know its not quite right, but I can live with that because it looks the part and it does for me.

The same could be done to turn a green Peckett into a GWR one with the right paint, transfers and an elastic conscience but Hornby won't do it because their version of the W4 never ran in GWR livery.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I am in the US, so my viewpoint may be different that many here who are more expert than me.  Google "Swansea harbor trust locomotive photos".  You will find many other photos that look like this.  Now some will say that this is not the same model as the Hornby Peckett.  Or say that these were only at Swansea.  They can complain here and not buy it.  I would think that a lot of modellers would be happy to buy one.  Great Western sells.

image.png.7c49ed5c425dc1fe5365cdb4e448ed10.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hornby may well do fictious liveries eventually but as they have prototypical liveries to work through that sell well that seems to be their focus for now. Fictious ones may well be used as a pickup if the sales start to flag but so far you rarely see these on the shelves for more than a couple of months ;) 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Caledonian said:

The same could be done to turn a green Peckett into a GWR one with the right paint, transfers and an elastic conscience but Hornby won't do it because their version of the W4 never ran in GWR livery.

I am torn between my usual leanings:

1. I want to see more accurate small stuff;

2....but I'm willing to compromise...

3. ...and I'd like to  see higher-standard freelance if I can't get exactly what I want. At worst, a good-running mechanism (within sanity) will always be of use.

Noting johnhutnick above, I'd hope Hornby would go ahead with a GWR-liveried version. I'd prefer new tooling, but I'd expect it to sell if just re-liveried (especially if - get this - in a hi-spec train set, properly marketed). Alternatively, if they thought it worthwhile promotion, they could  pay money for a preserved example to be repainted temporarily, and it would be "accurate". )

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hornby may well do fictious liveries eventually but as they have prototypical liveries to work through that sell well that seems to be their focus for now. Fictious ones may well be used as a pickup if the sales start to flag but so far you rarely see these on the shelves for more than a couple of months ;) 

1 hour ago, Mark Dickerson said:

I am torn between my usual leanings:

1. I want to see more accurate small stuff;

2....but I'm willing to compromise...

3. ...and I'd like to  see higher-standard freelance if I can't get exactly what I want. At worst, a good-running mechanism (within sanity) will always be of use.

Its not just the paint job. As I pointed out there are significant differences between the Hornby version and those under discussion. Converting one, or even ignoring those differences you can live with is one thing, and as I've cheerfully admitted, a road I'm happy to follow myself, but that is not the same as expecting Hornby to place a fictitious livery on a loco. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/02/2020 at 12:54, MarkSG said:

Did the GWR ever operate a Peckett W4? If they did, it can't have been particularly widespread, I would have thought.

17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

No indeed. All the Pecketts that came to the Great Western were standard gauge...

i even found a response in a GWR uniform, with a hairstyle with matching lining 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

The GWR* W4 is available from CSP Models.

As discussed earlier in the thread it bears very little resemblance to the Hornby model. It's a Peckett, but that's it. The other GWR Peckett's weren't W4s.

http://cspmodels.com/abante/index.php?rt=product/product&manufacturer_id=21&product_id=244

*BR really as it wasn't acquired until 1948 and never carried GWR livery.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

News this afternoon from Rails on the delivery of R3680 Charity Colliery "Forest No. 1":

'Due in stock between now and the 8th March'

which is pleasing as Charity Colliery was near Bedworth, on the Warwickshire coalfield, and my old stomping ground

https://www.ourwarwickshire.org.uk/content/catalogue_her/site-of-bedworth-charity-colliery

so I'm going to indulge in acquiring another Peckett!

cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 1722 said:

Question regarding the PLA Peckett. Does anyone know which colour it is? I'm wondering if Humbrol 15 (Midnight Blue) would be a good match?

Hi Chris,

I've used Hunbrol 25 - Matt Blue in the past.

However, if comparing it to the Hornby PLA Blue then either the Hoirny colour is too dark or the Humbrol 25 is too light.

Thanks

Phil H

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19/02/2020 at 19:37, tractionman said:

News this afternoon from Rails on the delivery of R3680 Charity Colliery "Forest No. 1":

'Due in stock between now and the 8th March'

which is pleasing as Charity Colliery was near Bedworth, on the Warwickshire coalfield, and my old stomping ground

https://www.ourwarwickshire.org.uk/content/catalogue_her/site-of-bedworth-charity-colliery

so I'm going to indulge in acquiring another Peckett!

cheers,

Keith

Now in stock at Hornby Charity Colliery , hopefully next week at Hattons, have one in pre order for over a year now.

So we will see it soon:dance_mini:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A short running session featuring the new Hornby R3680 - Peckett W4 0-4-0ST - "Forest No.1" in smart lined green, on Compton Quay my 00 Gauge Dockside Micro Layout.
In this video we see the Peckett hard at work shunting a selection of wagons around the Quayside Warehouses. 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Cracking video, Callum. 

I must admit I am tempted by one of these for Sheep Dip............but I have three already...Can you have too many Pecketts ? 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Cracking video, Callum. 

I must admit I am tempted by one of these for Sheep Dip............but I have three already...Can you have too many Pecketts ? 

Rob. 

No, never - buy more....

• Like 4
  • Agree 2