Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

I must admit I am tempted by one of these for Sheep Dip............but I have three already...Can you have too many Pecketts ? 

Rob. 

Nope you can never have too many Pecketts. I wasn't going to get any Pecketts when announced as i have several small locomotives but since then I now own two pecketts which may yet increase depending on what's released.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sc2016 said:

Nope you can never have too many Pecketts. I wasn't going to get any Pecketts when announced as i have several small locomotives but since then I now own two pecketts which may yet increase depending on what's released.

Am on 4  at the moment and looking to increase that by 2 more when Hornby release them, Oh and of course 2 of the bigger brothers the 0-6-0 version! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can see at least two more that appeal, possibly three of the 0.4.0 and two of the 0.6.0......

Not good. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 01/04/2020 at 20:19, NHY 581 said:

They are rather nice.....naughty....but nice..

Rob. 

20200331_112543-01.jpeg

20200326_080629-02.jpeg

20200327_080242-02.jpeg

Lovely little layout Rob! Love the use of the Bachmann narrow gauge builds, they work a treat on there! Does the Peckett by chance fit in that shed? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Lovely little layout Rob! Love the use of the Bachmann narrow gauge builds, they work a treat on there! Does the Peckett by chance fit in that shed? 

Hi Callum.

Thank you. I've raised the shed and the accompanying water tower and store by about 5mm, bringing the base of the buildings up to roughly level with the top of the rails. The clearance between the chimney and the doorway is best measured as a smidge........

Everything is tight but I think the small size works. 

I will be starting to paint the buildings shortly and in particular sort out the floor of the shed and immediately in front of the entrance. 

I plan on using strip wood to infill. 

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Callum.

Thank you. I've raised the shed and the accompanying water tower and store by about 5mm, bringing the base of the buildings up to roughly level with the top of the rails. The clearance between the chimney and the doorway is best measured as a smidge........

I will be starting to paint the buildings shortly and in particular sort out the floor of the shed and immediately in front of the entrance. 

Rob. 

Many thanks! Given me a few ideas now ;) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Many thanks! Given me a few ideas now ;) 

Sounds good. The W4 is the biggest loco that will fit. The larger 060 won't, neither will the Hattons Andrew Barclay. Both are too wide and too high. 

Rob. 

• Like 1

On 15/02/2020 at 19:54, MarkSG said:

Did the GWR ever operate a Peckett W4? If they did, it can't have been particularly widespread, I would have thought.

Sorry to bump this after a considerable time, but see my topic here...

Cheers from Fortress WestOz,

Peter C.

• Like 2

On 01/04/2020 at 20:19, NHY 581 said:

They are rather nice.....naughty....but nice..

Rob. 

20200331_112543-01.jpeg

20200326_080629-02.jpeg

20200327_080242-02.jpeg

On 03/04/2020 at 09:10, SDJR7F88 said:

On 03/04/2020 at 10:13, NHY 581 said:

Hi Callum.

Rob. 

On 03/04/2020 at 13:25, NHY 581 said:

Sounds good. The W4 is the biggest loco that will fit. The larger 060 won't, neither will the Hattons Andrew Barclay. Both are too wide and too high. 

Rob. 

FWIW, the Bachmann 'Narrow Gauge Loco Shed', Cat No.44-0038 (the corrugated iron one from 2015 - if you can find one!) has a doorway 40mm wide by almost 50mm high so will take locos if you jack it up to make the brick plinth a bit higher.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

FWIW, the Bachmann 'Narrow Gauge Loco Shed', Cat No.44-0038 (the corrugated iron one from 2015 - if you can find one!) has a doorway 40mm wide by almost 50mm high so will take locos if you jack it up to make the brick plinth a bit higher.

Yes. Got that. You can fit an Adams Radial in there. 

Rob  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've just fitted one of the Hornby decoders that are made for this loco and it runs like a three-legged pig. It ran perfectly on DCC, so it has to be the decoder.

Sometimes it won't move at all. Sometimes if accelrates away like a rocket and sometimes it runs and stops dead.

What is wrong with it?

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ruston said:

I've just fitted one of the Hornby decoders that are made for this loco and it runs like a three-legged pig. It ran perfectly on DCC, so it has to be the decoder.

Sometimes it won't move at all. Sometimes if accelrates away like a rocket and sometimes it runs and stops dead.

What is wrong with it?

I had a Bachmann self-powered crane which ran like this using a DCC Concepts decoder. I spoke with them, they suggested I turn off analogue mode, and it then ran happily ever after.

Analogue mode is bit 2 (counting the bits from 0) and has the decimal value of 4.

Maybe this will help.

- Richard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

What is wrong with it?

Have you checked that all of the pickups are in contact with the backs of all wheels taking into account all of the side-play. The pick ups are the worst thing about this model, they highly brittle and don't take easily to bending out. If found pecketts that have poor pick ups run OK on DC but poorly with the Hornby chip. I convert the 4 pin connector to Six pin and use Zimo's.

You can rewire the Pecket loco plug to the NEM651 spec. and just use just the Red+ Black pick up wires along with the orange/grey motor wires to connect to your decoder. Insulate (or unsolder) the unused pins on whatever 6 pin decoder you use. You could just hard wire.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Have you checked that all of the pickups are in contact with the backs of all wheels taking into account all of the side-play. The pick ups are the worst thing about this model, they highly brittle and don't take easily to bending out. If found pecketts that have poor pick ups run OK on DC but poorly with the Hornby chip. I convert the 4 pin connector to Six pin and use Zimo's.

You can rewire the Pecket loco plug to the NEM651 spec. and just use just the Red+ Black pick up wires along with the orange/grey motor wires to connect to your decoder. Insulate (or unsolder) the unused pins on whatever 6 pin decoder you use. You could just hard wire.

It was working perfectly before I put the decoder in it. I have no reason to believe that there's anything wrong with the pickups as I've never taken anything apart on the chassis. I did intially wonder if there was something shorting on the decoder but I've wrapped it in tape and it still doesn't work.

1 hour ago, 47137 said:

I had a Bachmann self-powered crane which ran like this using a DCC Concepts decoder. I spoke with them, they suggested I turn off analogue mode, and it then ran happily ever after.

Analogue mode is bit 2 (counting the bits from 0) and has the decimal value of 4.

Maybe this will help.

- Richard.

Thanks but I have absolutely no idea what that means or how to do it. You may as well be writing in Arabic.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Analogue mode lets you use an ordinary analogue controller to drive a DCC-fitted loco. Many decoders support analogue mode, and they have it switched on in the factory settings. Sometimes it interferes with DCC operation. You can switch off analogue mode by changing the value of CV number 29.

The 2mm Society have a calculator for CV29 - play around with this and you will see how CV29 behaves and what number you need to put into it:

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29 calculator.htm

I hate to write this, but to find out how to read the present value of CV29 in your decoder, and to change it to the value you want, see the instructions for your DCC controller. They vary on how they let you do it.

- Richard.

• Informative/Useful 2

Thanks, Richard. That's a bit more understandable.

Before you posted that I put it on the program track but what I thought I was going to achieve I have no idea but I read the address as part of trying to work out how to change a loco adress for another loco.  It was, as expected 3 but when I put it back on the track it ran much better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

It was working perfectly before I put the decoder in it. 

Don't take it as read, that because a loco works fine on DC it will be fine on DCC. I have had DC locos work fine on analog but been rough as dogs after decoder fitting and running on DCC.

With the pecketts I've found once the pickups had been "tuned" it was fine. I'm not saying this is the problem with yours but checking the pick ups contact the wheels under all conditions is a first step for DCC running on short wheelbase 0-4-0's.

Do it using a bright light and a magnifier.  I've even had one factory fresh Hornby Peckett through my hands that had one pick up missing.

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

I have no reason to believe that there's anything wrong with the pickups as I've never taken anything apart on the chassis.

See above. Also consider junking the cheap as chips Hornby decoder and replacing it with something more capable. You will not regret it.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Removing the capacitors (buff coloured blobs) and the chokes (stripey rods, shaped like a pepper mill) so the wiring is directly from decoder to motor will probably help.

They're clustered around the motor.

Their functions are replicated within the decoder and so not necessary if you are committed to DCC.

Alan 

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Buhar said:

Removing the capacitors (buff coloured blobs) and the chokes (stripey rods, shaped like a pepper mill) so the wiring is directly from decoder to motor will probably help.

They're clustered around the motor.

Good advice but I'm guessing you've never really been to the heart of the Peckett?

There's only 1 cap across the motor. The rest of the suppression circuitry (if any?) is integral with the DCC blanking plug, so is taken out of circuit with the removal of said blanking plug.

PeckettMedalling-29-EditSm.jpg.959b2d52e294005f459e1803adfffea4.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Good advice but I'm guessing you've never really been to the heart of the Peckett?

There's only 1 cap across the motor. The rest of the suppression circuitry (if any?) is integral with the DCC blanking plug, so is taken out of circuit with the removal of said blanking plug.

I have one, but it remains untouched as yet. I'd still advocate snipping off the capacitor. Is there anything in that grey box next to it?

Alan 

Edited by Buhar
Remove image
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Buhar said:

Is there anything in that grey box next to it?

Nothing. It appears just to act as an insulator. In theory it could be an encapsulated coil to act as a toroid but I think it unlikely.  If I can find one lying about I'll chop it up, purely  for educational purposes.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Nothing. It appears just to act as an insulator. In theory it could be an encapsulated coil to act as a toroid but I think it unlikely.  If I can find one lying about I'll chop it up, purely  for educational purposes.

P

I think the grey lump is a piece of ferrite, put there to reduce radio frequency interference. It adds some inductance and it works with the capacitor to make a simple L-C filter. I'm not sure it would achieve very much. I've seen something written about such a filter being mandatory for the North American market.

- Richard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 47137 said:

I think the grey lump is a piece of ferrite

Yep, you're probably right. The Hornby sentinel & 08's has the same. As you say it's effect will probably be minimal but I doubt it's the singular cause of Dave's erratic running. As was said ealier, If your going DCC, junk it. and it removes a "variable".

P

• Like 1