Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

On 02/05/2020 at 20:07, Porcy Mane said:

See above. Also consider junking the cheap as chips Hornby decoder and replacing it with something more capable. You will not regret it.

I intend to have Zimo sound fitted but I'm not even supposed to leave the house, let alone go to the Post Office to send the loco away for fitting, so I put this decoder in just so I could run the loco on the layout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

I intend to have Zimo sound fitted but I'm not even supposed to leave the house, let alone go to the Post Office to send the loco away for fitting, so I put this decoder in just so I could run the loco on the layout.

I have a Zimo fitted Peckett lying about somewhere. Lying about , probably in the same place I have a Hornby four wire decoder. If I can find the time (the suns out) I'll rewire the Hornby decoder and stick it in the Peckett to see if I can replicate your rough running. 

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/12/2016 at 16:27, Porcy Mane said:

Oh no! What have I done?

post-508-0-32917100-1483201581_thumb.jpg

Dunno if it's any help to anyone.

P

Hi Porcy, I know this was a while ago, but Ijust picked one of these up, wondering how you got it into it's component pieces?

Is there a specific solvent you used?

Thanks

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JIJ said:

wondering how you got it into it's component pieces?

Time, patience and a Swan Morton No 17 blade. If you can, never pull individual components out, access the rear of them and push or punch them out.

No idea what adhesive Hornby uses but it appears to be of the cyano type.

• Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Forgotten to remove the door darts and buffers ?

Only three buffers. The door dart now resides on a stationary boiler.   :wink_mini:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2020 at 13:04, Porcy Mane said:

Time, patience and a Swan Morton No 17 blade. If you can, never pull individual components out, access the rear of them and push or punch them out.

No idea what adhesive Hornby uses but it appears to be of the cyano type.

I am trying to take one of these things apart. I've had one apart that did so with a bit of wiggling and force but the one I'm trying now is solidly glued together and refuses to come apart. There's no way of punching the chimney out from inside at all.

Do you know if there is anything that will dissolve the glue without dissolving the plastic? It's probably too much to ask that it doesn't also take the paint off, too.

• Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, Ruston said:

There's no way of punching the chimney out from inside at all.

As PhilJW said. 

Mine was well secured but came away complete after a lot of wiggling and cracking noises.  You could try drilling a hole to punch through in the top of the tank to access the bottom of the chimney, using a 1/16 or 1.5 mm drill.

The hole would need to be right next to the extension to the casting that goes right up to the tank top and is used by the chassis/body mount screw.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ruston said:

Thanks. I'll have a go at sticking it in some hot water. Though not so hot I can't put my hands in.

That would be about the right heat. But I would advise wearing gloves as well.

• RMweb Gold

I contacted the Hornby spares department to enquire about the availability of replacement pick ups for  a Peckett W4 earlier this week. 

They're fragile and easily snapped.....I know this..

I've since had two replies from Hornby. 

One indicated that they have yet to be supplied with spares. The other outlined the understandable change in working practices at the spares department during this period. The  suggestion made was I recontact  them once the current situation is resolved.

Now its no big deal but out of interest, is anyone else trying to source replacement pick ups? 

Peters spares don't list them and when Lendons in Cardiff enquired with Hornby last year, on my behalf, they were told they would be available in January this year.  

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Could you fashion something from some phosphor bronze wire or strips to repair them? I think I got mine from Eileens and I’ve found it very useful on my HOm for extra pickups. Personally I prefer the wire now as it’s a bit more adaptable in tight spots and even though it will wear faster than the wider strip I figured it’s easy to replace  and I haven’t worn any away yet and they’ve done several shows on up to a 34’ run and that’s a bit longer than your little layout gems usually get :) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Could you fashion something from some phosphor bronze wire or strips to repair them? I think I got mine from Eileens and I’ve found it very useful on my HOm for extra pickups. Personally I prefer the wire now as it’s a bit more adaptable in tight spots and even though it will wear faster than the wider strip I figured it’s easy to replace  and I haven’t worn any away yet and they’ve done several shows on up to a 34’ run and that’s a bit longer than your little layout gems usually get :) 

Thanks Paul. I tried the PB strips but it didn't work. It's so tight in there that there wasn't enough flex in the strip to allow the movement it all needs to maintain contact and provide just the right amount of movement. 

Key to these little chaps is setting the front pick ups  just right.  If the front pick ups aren't set right the crank pins on the front wheels will interfere with the cross heads and that will give a tight spot. It's got to be evenly set on both wheels. 

The spare is listed by Hornby but it appears to have never been produced/provided in the three years ( just over) the locos have been available. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 13/05/2020 at 18:30, Ruston said:

Thanks. I'll have a go at sticking it in some hot water. Though not so hot I can't put my hands in.

That didn't work. Nothing will budge on it at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 months later...

Release dates on the Hornby website:

• R3640 'Niclausse' Autumn 2020
  • R3825 Peckett grey Autumn 2020
  • R3702 'Daphne' Winter 2020-2021
  • R3703 'Bear' Winter 2020-2021
  • R3868 Crawshay Brothers green Spring 2021
  • R3869 'Lady Cornelia' Spring 2021

R3761 'Lady Edith' is still listed as Winter 2019-2020

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 18/07/2020 at 17:35, Paul.Uni said:

Release dates on the Hornby website:

• R3640 'Niclausse' Autumn 2020
  • R3825 Peckett grey Autumn 2020
  • R3702 'Daphne' Winter 2020-2021
  • R3703 'Bear' Winter 2020-2021
  • R3868 Crawshay Brothers green Spring 2021
  • R3869 'Lady Cornelia' Spring 2021

R3761 'Lady Edith' is still listed as Winter 2019-2020

R3761 'Lady Edith' now has a release date of Summer 2021. All release dates for the other Pecketts remain the same.

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've filled the coal bunker on mine, with coal.  I bet not many other people have bothered with this!  I've also provided Modelu industrial lamps fore and aft, but no crew as yet.  Haulage is increasing over time and use, presumably due to tyre surfaces roughing up; she will now pull a 10 wagon loaded coal train with foam or card filliers and a top layer of coal.

What a constant delight owning this lovely little loco is!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4