Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold
On 20/12/2020 at 21:27, PhilJ W said:

Would locomotive manufacturers deliver a locomotive in grey undercoat for the buyer to apply their own livery?

On 20/12/2020 at 21:39, Compound2632 said:

Unlikely.

several years old, still in undercoat.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

A short running session featuring the eagerly anticipated Hornby R3825 - Peckett W4 0-4-0ST - "614" - Centenary Year Limited Edition in dazzling photographic grey.
Limited to just 2000 models the loco come in a commemorative display box along with a resin miniature builder's plate.
In this video we see the Peckett action, shunting a selection of wagons and vans on my photo-plank micro layout. 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

A short running session featuring the eagerly anticipated Hornby R3825 - Peckett W4 0-4-0ST - "614" - Centenary Year Limited Edition in dazzling photographic grey.
Limited to just 2000 models the loco come in a commemorative display box along with a resin miniature builder's plate.
In this video we see the Peckett action, shunting a selection of wagons and vans on my photo-plank micro layout. 
Hope you enjoy!

It almost looks as if it has a slight tight spot.

Edited by Coppercap
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Coppercap said:

It almost looks as if it has a slight tight spot.

Yes, it very much does. I filmed this straight from the box. Sadly currently can't give her a good run in as the photo-plank I filmed it on is only 72cm (while the main layout is under construction). Was slightly better towards the end of filming, but not much

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brian Hawkins said:

Still waiting to receive mine from my local model shop, bet i don't get it for that price though :(

We have an employee discount scheme thing through work which is generally pretty useless...whenever I look for stuff through it it tends to come up more expensive than undiscounted! Sometimes able to save money on Pandora jewellery and cinema tickets...

Somewhat astonished to find the peckett on there and at that price..I suspect it was an error!

• Like 2

On 07/01/2021 at 16:42, Brian Hawkins said:

Still waiting to receive mine from my local model shop, bet i don't get it for that price though :(

Panic over, my centenary Peckett arrived yesterday, yet another wonderful locomotive from Hornby, this is Peckett number 12 in my collection :D

• Like 2

I have seven of these Pecketts now but the last two have been very unreliable. One is from the 560 batch and the other from the PLA batch.

Mechanically, they run fine but there are many spots on my layout where they stall, mostly on particular track joints and on point blades. No other locos have a problem at these places, so I decided to investigate. When they stop they can be rocked very slightly, so what is happening is that one wheel isn't making contact with the rail.

I took the keeper plates off and checked the pickups - all are in contact with the wheels but I noticed that the wheel bearings are not free to move up and down in the cast chassis block as they should be. They are able to move up and down in the earlier models, which is why the wheels are not all touching the track on these slightly uneven areas of trackwork on the problem locos. Another thing that I noticed is that the plungers in the bottom of the chassis block, that push down on the pickup plate, are shorter and the springs weaker in the two that have the problem. When I took the keeper plate screws out I had to prise the keeper plates off and if keeper screws aren't tightened to the max then the locos will not run at all. On the older locos the springs are strong enough to push the keeper plate off as soon as the screws are begun to be loosened.

It so annoying and a shame because the first batch of locos ran so perfectly.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have fixed the problem on one loco and will try it on the other one now. I put packing under the plate that has the plungers in it to cure the problem of pickup there.

I took a file to the outside surface of the bearing that was sticking in the frames and gently filed until it would drop in and out of the chassis block without resistance.

Another thing I have done is to file the surface of the keeper plate where it contacts the bearings. I used a round file and took off roughly a third of a millimetre to allow the axles more ability to drop into uneven areas of trackwork. The loco has run up and down, several times, at a very slow speed (4 steps out of 28 on DCC) and without hesitation, over all the spots where it would stop before, It appears the fix has been a success.

I did notice that the axle bearings had not been lubricated at all. The only evidence of any lubrication at the factory is a trace of white grease around the drive gear on the rear axle, so it's worth checking and oiling your Pecketts, if they require it.

peckettconvert-040.jpg.836efc93a0950bd89fd838127758ca54.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 24/01/2021 at 16:06, Paul.Uni said:

According to the Hornby Website the release dates are as follows:

• R3702 'Daphne' - Summer 2021

• R3703 'Bear' - Summer 2021

• R3761 'Lady Edith' - Winter 2021

• R3868 Crawshay Brothers green - Winter 2021

• R3869 'Lady Cornelia' - Winter 2021

The Hornby coming soon page lists R3702 as due July and R3761, R3868 & R3869 as due December. R3703 is not listed on the coming soon page.

The quarterly release dates on the individual product pages are unchanged for all five.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

The Hornby coming soon page lists R3702 as due July and R3761, R3868 & R3869 as due December. R3703 is not listed on the coming soon page.

The quarterly release dates on the individual product pages are unchanged for all five.

Ah the fantasy list for the amusement of possible purchaser's 

• Funny 1

Speaking of The Bear, does anyone know whether the blue livery is original to Colville's/Beardmore's at Mossend, or whether it comes from the 1942 rebuild by Barclays ?

Edited by Caledonian
spelling
  • Like 1

On 27/02/2021 at 20:17, wainwright1 said:

Of course the one from the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Railway, 'Bear', which I have been waiting for, is no where to be seen.

Ray

On 24/01/2021 at 16:06, Paul.Uni said:

According to the Hornby Website the release dates are as follows:

• R3702 'Daphne' - Summer 2021

• R3703 'Bear' - Summer 2021

• R3761 'Lady Edith' - Winter 2021

• R3868 Crawshay Brothers green - Winter 2021

• R3869 'Lady Cornelia' - Winter 2021

Can you see it now?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Can you see it now?

3 hours ago, johnd said:

Wasn't showing that if you could find it individually  on the Hornby website. No time given or price !

And as Paul.Uni added on 27th February:

'The Hornby coming soon page lists R3702 as due July and R3761, R3868 & R3869 as due December. R3703 is not listed on the coming soon page.'

G'Day Bruce

Ray

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

I also stated 'The quarterly release dates on the individual product pages are unchanged for all five.'

Still says 'Expected Summer 2021' on https://uk.Hornby.com/products/sklr-peckett-w4-class-open-back-cab-0-4-0st-bear-era-78-r3703

Thanks Paul. 

I will be glad when Hornby manage to get all the bits of their website to marry up.

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I invented a potted history for my 'Forest No.1' to bring her to a Mid Glamorgan colliery in the 1950s.  Instead of being scrapped, she was returned to the dealer she had been acquired from and put back up for sale, then sent back to Pecketts for a full overhaul and used as the yard pilot, kept in pristine condition in the hope of a sale, which never materialised.  Shortly after the outbreak of war in 1939, she was requisitioned by the War Office and used at the new St Athan airfield near Llantwit Major (there was a real Manning Wardle that filled this role).  Disposed as war surplus in 1946, she was bought by the Dimbath Colliery Company, who were a few months later absorbed into the newly nationalised NCB.  She is suitable for the very sharp curves at the colliery, and continues in use during my 1948-58 period.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You don't have to go far for a very convincing back-story, young Johnster. The  NCB had hundreds of locomotives  on its books.  Tymawr Colliery had a couple of locomotives; One was in service, and another was dumped U/S  on the washery downside.  As a consequence, your little Peckett would be right at home on the washery. Blaenavon had 8 of them at one point, but they were Barclays.

locomotives were shipped everywhere.  

• Like 1