Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

On 05/03/2021 at 15:53, Fredo said:

Hi, which version of the W4 tank is suitable for the late 50’s and early 60’s. Thanks Fred 

Hi Fred, 

More likely the ross-pop fitted versions by this period, as opposed to those with larger dome and salter valves. There are several instances of the valve cover of the earlier type being retained but with pop valves fitted internally, of course. If modelling this scenario you'd want to remove the balance arms. 

There was a few surviving working locos with salter valves into the 60's, but they were few and far between.  You will find photos of Peckett's with the earlier style of safety valves right up towards the end of industrial steam however , as older locos were often dumped and slowly cannibalized for parts to keep other locos going.  

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

Hi Fred, 

More likely the ross-pop fitted versions by this period, as opposed to those with larger dome and salter valves. There are several instances of the valve cover of the earlier type being retained but with pop valves fitted internally, of course. If modelling this scenario you'd want to remove the balance arms. 

There was a few surviving working locos with salter valves into the 60's, but they were few and far between.  You will find photos of Peckett's with the earlier style of safety valves right up towards the end of industrial steam however , as older locos were often dumped and slowly cannibalized for parts to keep other locos going.  

Paul A. 

What Paul said. The MSC version from the original release is a good example with an original but altered dome with Ross pop valves, but they haven't re-used that particular tooling. The flat-domed versions with Ross pop-valves are fairly common though. The all-black Lilleshall one would be particularly good for a late scenario. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

R3703 'Bear' is now also listed as due in August 2021 on the coming soon page.

Have Bear & Daphne on order !

Edited by johnd
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As this thread is current again, I was hoping someone might be able to advise as to what kind of motor the W4 is fitted with, please?

Is it a coreless motor or a conventional one?

Many thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

As this thread is current again, I was hoping someone might be able to advise as to what kind of motor the W4 is fitted with, please?

Many thanks.

Hi Tim, 

It’s a can motor (with a core). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Many thanks.

http://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/index.asp?redirect=&q=Hornby++Peckett+W4&searchwhere=On-Lendons-Website&condition=and&highlighted=on

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

To go a bit more technical: it's an N20 carbon brushed motor. It can be had in a multitude of operating voltages and shaft configurations. A fine motor and cheap as chips. They're all over the interweb.

Not as good a performer as the latest generation of core-less jobbies as sold by High Level but a very good motor all the same.

A double shafter on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254914467987

There a pic of one stripped in the ribbon of photos here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253306241441?hash=item3afa3a81a1:g:UvYAAOSwBRFaKOxs

Whilst faffing about, I substituted a £2.00 ebay N20 for the original fit Hornby motor. There was no noticeable change in performance.

P

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Graham, Rob & Porcy.

I've just had a friend in our club build a pulse/feedback controller for me to try out, supposedly for good slow speed running.

I know not to try a feedback controller on a coreless motor, but I did try it on one of my Pecketts and it ran like a dog, compared with my existing AMR hand-held controller.

But the new pulse/feedback controller showed no discernible difference to the AMR controller with one of my Mashima motored locos.

I'm have a chat with my friend about this later, but I don't know enough about electronics to understand why what is happening, is happening!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

To go a bit more technical: it's an N20 carbon brushed motor. It can be had in a multitude of operating voltages and shaft configurations. A fine motor and cheap as chips. They're all over the interweb.

Not as good a performer as the latest generation of core-less jobbies as sold by High Level but a very good motor all the same.

A double shafter on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254914467987

There a pic of one stripped in the ribbon of photos here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253306241441?hash=item3afa3a81a1:g:UvYAAOSwBRFaKOxs

Whilst faffing about, I substituted a £2.00 ebay N20 for the original fit Hornby motor. There was no noticeable change in performance.

P

I've been using these in kit builds for a while now. I also re-motored a Hattons Barclay with one, so I could get DCC sound and a stay alive in.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

My Hornby Peckett is noticeably slow using the HM6000, and while this is not a bad thing I find it more responsive with the old GM.  My Bachmann 94xx is too quick; it can be controlled with the HM6000 but this requires a deal of finesse or adjusting the speed range, and then forgetting to adust it back for the 'normal' locos.  And my Silurian Period Airfix large prairie is very slow with the HM6000.  These 3 locos are therefore usually driven with the GM, as this controller suits them better. 

The rest of the fleet, which are what I am calling the 'normal' locos, all respond very well to the HM6000 and therefore I drive them with this controller, unless I am just making a quick move and can't be *rsed pairing the HM6000 with the phone.  I suspected before I bought the new controller that there would still be a role for the old Gaugemaster and this has proven to be the case. 

Having used the HM6000 for a little while now, I am settling in to the different technique needed.  This is a matter very much of personal preference, but the 'normals', all Bachmann panniers, 56xx, and small prairies with a Hornby 42xx and a Baccy 82xxx, seem to respond best on my layout to having the speed range set 0-50, the slider action to 'lift finger off', and the inertia to 10 accelleration and full decelleration.  This gives me smooth incremental accelleration with an effectively immediate response, and smooth decelleration using the 'brake' button.  This suits me but of course other peoples' preferences will be different, and of course different layouts and types of operation may well need a different approach.  The HM6000 system is flexible and can cope with this; kudos Hornby for sensible design!

As I thought, I am not using the sound effects.  I wonder, though, if they could be improved to be more useful to 'serious' modellers (don't like the term, not sure what it actually means, and it feels a bit arrogant, but I can't think of a better one to express the concept).  If there was a facility to import your own sound files, the whistle could be made a bit more GW, or whatever railway you favour, and it would be better if the effects could seque into each other rather than one stopping as soon as the next one is activated.

It also occurs to me that, of the 'normals', 12 out of 14 have 18mm driving wheels to represent GW standard 4'7".  If one could adjust the speed of the chuffs, one could get them into a ball park that would be a lot less inaccurate for the majority of locos on my layout, and I am sure there are many other modellers in a similar position.  It would not be as good and nowhere near as accurate as a properly synchronised DCC sound effect with a good speaker aboard the loco, but it might be developable into something a lot more useful than it now is.  The fact that the sound does not come from the loco (unless you hold your phone close to it) is unavoidable, but wearing headphones not only improves the sound quality and lessens the annoyance to the rest of the household (who will make fun of the chuff chuff oo oo noises), but circumvents a lot of the 'sound not coming from the right place' issue.  If, in addition to all this (not asking for much, am I, but I think it is all reasonably possible within the limitations of a phone app), there was a button that would replace the chuffing with a 'steam loco coasting sound effect (no Walcheart's clanking for GW locos, please), the sound effects could provide a very useful and fairly realistic extra level of enjoyment of the operating experience, for a very low cost.

I have no idea what is possible with a phone app of this sort, which may be obvious to anyone that has, but I think I am right in saying that the sounds are generated within the app to be played on the phone or tablet, not in the HM6000 unit.  My suggested improvements would presumably be a matter of writing the correct code, and it may even be possible for third party apps using the HM6000 to be produced, with different sets of features.  I would be willing to pay, admittedly probably not more than a tenner or so, for a well performing app that provided the features I want.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Monkey28 said:

Where can I get etched nameplates for the Hornby packett?

Looking for one for bear

Try Narrow Planet. They will also supply works plates. 

Top job and as fitted to mine. 

Rob. 

20201018_122013-01-01.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I was not an OAP when Bachmann announced the 94xx, but was when it finally turned up.  At least there is an RTR W4 that you can rename if you really want Bear; I had to endure the anomalies of a Lima 94xx with a Bachmann chassis.  Hornby announced and produced several models, the W4, B2, and new large prairie among them, within the 94xx gestation period. 

This is of course partly down to the different announcing policies of the companies.  Hornby prefer to keep schtum until quite late in the day, and announce not long before the first engineering samples are available, while Bachmann traditionally announced as soon as the idea had occurred to them; in the case of the 94xx, several things went wrong during the production process and the thing got delayed even further.  They had developed a poisonous reputation for extended lead times and become something of a joke, so, to counter that, they are now announcing the following year's arrivals at 3 monthly intervals, but have yet to come up with any completely new models since they started doing this, and it remains to be seen how announcing of new models from Bachmann will be managed.

• Agree 2

Pfft. I'm still waiting for the Lima V2 I ordered from Hattons in about 1981....

Bachmann has made two since then.

Funny thing is there is actually a page for them on the Hattons website. :O

https://www.hattons.co.uk/14910/lima_l205130b_class_v2_2_6_2_4771_green_arrow_lner_light_green/stockdetail.aspx

For clarity it never existed. The photos in the adverts were of a kit built version.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Pfft. I'm still waiting for the Lima V2 I ordered from Hattons in about 1981....

Bachmann has made two since then.

Funny thing is there is actually a page for them on the Hattons website. :O

https://www.hattons.co.uk/14910/lima_l205130b_class_v2_2_6_2_4771_green_arrow_lner_light_green/stockdetail.aspx

For clarity it never existed. The photos in the adverts were of a kit built version.

That page does say, under "Product description", "Never produced" - which doesn't stop them suggesting DCC decoders for it!

• Like 3

Yes. I ordered one back in the day. it was even written down in the little book that Norman Hatton had on the counter.

It was one of my favourite locos at the time, especially after seeing it at both Rainhill and Dinting.

Funnily enough the latter was with the Compound.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/4588886274

Also found this in the same album. No Pecketts in the photo, but almost certainly at least two in the shed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/4588998032/in/photostream/

The MR van looks a bit tatty. Can't remember it being like that.

Pity you can't make one of these Peckett's from the Hornby one. I would buy that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/martynhilbert/16752031111/in/photolist-2j3kgwk-2kJHuTP-DZiiM4-qiC83L-9eeFxG-rAxjjy-rd82uK-2kD4tCV-anFFuG-Bhja8h-q13SBQ-cxwmxW-anFK51-kUfkar-anCXt2-9WrNoH-nVTdHH-rwjxdB-fmY8es-C9MWvb-qY1fVw-vmJ6sC-2kS22bz-fcGSeM-jy89jP-2btXnVE-anFF3S-anCXS4-4zk9Eo-nrNFwG-y1Pg5H-reXpNx-Cwjvh4-oeNVEA-Xj53AQ-wkcsUY-dtNLWF-24yRg2L-dcHRY4-2jGpAsb-qiNAxp-2btXmUm-qECbVc-fqpfZv-dkuy3W-nAHtga-eZrpxH-nEz1wM-kU5FrY-bmhpPq

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...