Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Looks a neat little loco, whoever made the 1:1 prototype!

I should imagine it would be a companion piece to the Sentinel shunters, though I'd like to believe it would be a replacement for the basic 0-4-0 "locos" that infest the bottom of Hornbys loco list.  Its about time old "101" was pensioned off, along with the other monstrosities like the re-released QE2 and its ilk, and those square-fireboxed thingies! On the other hand the Caley Pug/Old Smokey is a useful little engine which isn't quite as terrible as the others...  (Must be down to the length of the funnel!)

Oh well, lets see what turns up in the Engine Shed!

IF - Hornby intend to introduce this Peckett 0-4-0ST, it would be helpful / nice / advantageous (delete as appropriate) if they broke with tradition and produced painted (even limited run unpainted ?) examples, without names, numbers or company logos.

It would negate the need to sometimes ruin a perfectly good finish in an effort to renumber or rename a model to suit the modellers layout theme.

US manufacturers and traders have done it for years.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Hello Oz

You are right about the SHT/P&M Peckett E Class 0-4-0ST (in GWR/BR livery) polling low....but in the Industrial category, the Industrial 0-4-0ST - Outside Cylinders came in with 291 votes, placing it in The Top 20.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

This is really exciting news indeed! A Peckett has been at the top of my wishlist for a long time, I sure hope 'Kilmersdon' is on the cards... Dark Green with the red running plate, Yes Please! Me and a Friend have being dreaming up a layout for a few years now, depicting part something like the line leading to the colliery. Just need a fitting loco.

Though thinking about it, it's the S&D's 50 Anniversary of the Closure next year, and what livery is she in at the moment.... :jester: This could be a good sign indeed!

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looks a neat little loco, whoever made the 1:1 prototype!

I should imagine it would be a companion piece to the Sentinel shunters, though I'd like to believe it would be a replacement for the basic 0-4-0 "locos" that infest the bottom of Hornbys loco list.  Its about time old "101" was pensioned off, along with the other monstrosities like the re-released QE2 and its ilk, and those square-fireboxed thingies! On the other hand the Caley Pug/Old Smokey is a useful little engine which isn't quite as terrible as the others...  (Must be down to the length of the funnel!)

Oh well, lets see what turns up in the Engine Shed!

Judging  by Hornby's recent levels of detail I have a very strong suspicion that it will be nowhere near the 'basic' level of the existing 0-4-0Ts and rather more like the sort of level we see from various other manufacturers and commissioners. But whatever it turns out to be it will seemingly present the market with a very attractive, and hopefully widely used little industrial tank engine which could possibly have been long lived in use if that cab backsheet is what it appears to be.

• RMweb Gold

Peckett & Sons W4 Class 0-4-0.

It's official!

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/new-for-2016-the-peckett-w4-0-4-0st/

Hornby_Peckett_Stereo_Sample_1.jpg

Livery choices

"This is your opportunity to have a real say in how one of our future releases will look, so do you have reliable, colour images of the Peckett W4 in the livery you’d like to see on your layout? Let us know on our dedicated Forum thread and add your contribution to the development of this new loco - your suggested livery may well go into production and we’d acknowledge any help given."

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 9

Probably nothing...

WD, could I suggest that you amend the title of this thread? Something along the lines of 'Hornby Announce RTR Peckett 0-4-ST'. A lot of people will be interested and delighted by this announcement and I'm not sure the existing thread title will draw them in.

As you did very well to spot it, take the credit for it.

WD, could I suggest that you amend the title of this thread? Something along the lines of 'Hornby Announce RTR Peckett 0-4-ST'. A lot of people will be interested and delighted by this announcement and I'm not sure the existing thread title will draw them in.

As you did very well to spot it, take the credit for it.

Just seen it so will do now

Edit: done

I genuinely can't wait for more development into this field. This particular loco does not come top of my industrial loco "want" list but a Peckett or two are on there. I really hope his leads to Andrew Barclays, Bagnalls and all sorts of others.

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 3

Victor Meldrum mode....'I don't beeleeeve it!!!"

Lovely....., one in NCB Blue, even if fictitious, will do nicely, and another in bright red named' Patricia' for my brewery shunter, ( and wife!!!).

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Will it whiz around an oval of track with two four coaches in a multitude of liveries? :D

Brilliant news. A great and charismatic prototype chosen by Hornby.  

Don't forget DJM's Hudswell Clark to come as well ;)

I see the dev team are asking for livery ideas.

How about one in works lined grey?

They could do another in early-60s deep grime and a couple in actual/possible company liveries. Personally, I think the "Huntly and Palmers" livery  takes the biscuit!  And a collection of Edwardian workmen to go with the loco would be icing on the cake...

If they can bring it in at the same price slot as the Sentinels, then it'd be snapped up so quickly that they'd hurt their fingers!

• Like 1