Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Premium

The day of high-fidelity industrial locomotives is officially on the way. I think this opens lots of opportunities for more industrial workings on steam-era layouts in addition to more bucolic branch lines.

More than that, I'd say. Industrial steam on blue-diesel era layouts too!

• Like 1

Yes please Chris. Though as Porcy says, wheels might be an issue - Pecketts were quite distinctive in style. 

Adam

If there is sufficient demand Ultrascale might be interested as might Alan Gibson, plus there are a number of 3D printers who might do centres assuming rims were available.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

I can see preservation layouts finding a use in the Pecketts too... :)

A Peckett, a single Mk I looming over it, a yard or two of track and a short, obviously new platform and you've got most 1970s preservation startups to a tee. Actually, it would make a perfect trainset for nostalgic 40-somethings getting back into the Hobby.

While I did personally hope that this model would be the SHT/P&M Pecketts used by the GWR, I'm not losing hope. I'm sure that once the model comes out, someone who knows their stuff will do a 3D mould or resin kit that will fit the Hornby chassis :)

• RMweb Gold

(Probably nothing

I'd like to start with that because let's face it, it probably is. A little while ago I would have dismissed this straight away but after the sentinels we'll see.

I've just watched Hornby said latest Facebook video on the LSWR 48 coaches. They look great however in the background is an 0-4-0 saddle tank in what appears to the white test plastic or possibly the 3D printer preproduction style. It isn't a production L&Y tank as that is far too old to have a model of this type and there is no motor in the cab. It's also definitely not the railroad caley tank. Personally I think it has a somewhat Peckett look to it but that's a personal opinion.

As I said, it's probably nothing but I thought I'd share it. I have a screen shot too but as its of a Hornby video I don't know if I'd be allowed to post it so I won't for now, if the mods say it's ok I will.

I hope this is interesting and I apologise if it's common knowledge/complete rubbish/speculation)

Edit:

Now the announcement has been made I can confirm this is a W4 Peckett 0-4-0ST announced by Hornby.

Hi all,

At last!

A 'Proper Industrial'....

Of course - this one will also be capable of turning into a genuine 'Scottish Puggy'!

Of course - we could just wait for Hornby to do the Scottish varieties.

Looking forward to more info and a release date!

Thanks

If there is sufficient demand Ultrascale might be interested as might Alan Gibson, plus there are a number of 3D printers who might do centres assuming rims were available.

I'm sure I've read recently (probably on a forum) that ultrascale will not be developing any new products or taking on any special commissions in the foreseeable future so as to concentrate on reducing delivery times. I hope I'm wrong on that.

Same at Alan Gibson. As discussed recently on another thread Mr Seymours  time is taken up just satisfying  normal and trade demand.

I suppose the situation could change if there was sufficient financial inducement.

Regarding  3D printed wheel centres, has anybody seen any spoked examples successfully fitted and running? I have seen examples listed on Bill Bedfords website but note that shrinkage and stability over time may be a problem. Things may have moved on since this posting.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78382-fud-what-is-it/&do=findComment&comment=1219965

P

The interesting thing about these small loco's is they are not just confined to the UK they did get all over the world. I am positive some of them made it to Australia, I have found there are a few. Now these are not necessary in standard gauge.

I have to commend Chris of high level to make a all singing chassis for it. No doubt Alan Gibson will make the wheels for it! Yes I am in the market for one!

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Although smaller than the GWR Pecketts inherited from SHT/P&M it would appear to be ok as BR No 1 Hercules acquired from Ystalyfera tin works.

Roger

The W4 the GWR never had of course - but the WR did have it.

As far as I can trace the only W4 Pecketts owned by the GWR were the four taken over from the Swansea Harbour Trust, the last being withdrawn in the summer of 1929.  Photos of these are not easy to find (there is one in the RCTS history and it has a half height cab backsheet.

I'm sure I've read recently (probably on a forum) that ultrascale will not be developing any new products or taking on any special commissions in the foreseeable future so as to concentrate on reducing delivery times. I hope I'm wrong on that.

Same at Alan Gibson. As discussed recently on another thread Mr Seymours  time is taken up just satisfying  normal and trade demand.

I suppose the situation could change if there was sufficient financial inducement.

Regarding  3D printed wheel centres, has anybody seen any spoked examples successfully fitted and running? I have seen examples listed on Bill Bedfords website but note that shrinkage and stability over time may be a problem. Things may have moved on since this posting.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78382-fud-what-is-it/&do=findComment&comment=1219965

P

Pretty much true, I'm afraid. David Rogers in particular has my sympathy because there's only one of him in that workshop yet everyone thinks he's got all the time in the world. Thinking of the future, and as far as I am aware, nobody is in training to succeed him if and when he calls time. The business is therefore likely to cease at that point.

The 3D wheels were a brave (and expensive) venture, but I think the nature of the materials used make for some interesting long-term effects. I bought a set of Bulleid Q1 wheels - they are the only ones in P4 to replicate the domed face - and noticed that the material goes a bit yellow over time. Being somewhat brittle, they don't grip the axles all that well by themselves, which is why your choice of glue is important.

Now I can fully appreciate that this is a great release, however I feel that engine shed is not the correct platform to announcing these new releases. Yes it is an under development product, but it is a new release. I feel the engine shed should only be used for the development and progress of products announced in the current years catalogue. Am I alone in thinking this?

I don't know if you're alone but I'm certainly not with you. I think this is a delightful way of announcing new products, and at a stage when they're sufficiently advanced that we know they're not just a "land grab" with no work yet done. And with a bit of fun, too.

All these announcements might make pickings a bit slim in December, of course, but they give year-round publicity and a real sense of momentum.

At the risk of me-too-ing, I was delighted to see this announcement.

Paul

• Like 1

However I feel that engine shed is not the correct platform to announcing these new releases. Yes it is an under development product, but it is a new release. I feel the engine shed should only be used for the development and progress of products announced in the current years catalogue. Am I alone in thinking this?

I disagree with that completely.

Cannot for the life of me imagine why someone would have a problem with a way of announcing a model. Never knew there was a right and wrong way of making an announcement. :D I'll keep that in mind for when I start a RTR model train company..... :D

Edited by Rusty.J
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Am I alone in thinking this?

Yes!

This is excellent integration of Hornby product development and marketing to provide a far superior and more creative method of customer communications than the annual froth/whinge fest. After the wibbles over the recent results, it is reassuring to show that they have a good gameplan and are executing it well.

PS Who is "Oulton Hall No.5972" on the Hornby forum? Why would anyone spoil the livery choice thread with an identical whinge about the announcement? :nono:

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/11405/?p=2

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 1