Chris Tarrant Extreme Railways

darren01

Just been watching this program and nearly fell off my seat laughing, at what has to be one of the worst PW i have ever seen.

It was amazing the coaches stayed on the rails the way it was bucking around the way they were,

If you get a chance to see it well worth it just to see this, Not a bad program to watch.

Darren 

• RMweb Gold

I've just watched it and thought it was excellent. I'm not usually a fan of CT but thought that in this he was informative, respectful and enthusiastic.

Very good.

Edited by PhilH

Excellent subject matter let down by poor delivery style & tendency to be flippant. Classic case of choosing a presenter they think will boost viewing figures rather than for knowledge/interest. Portillo would have done it much better.

Not if he took his bl66dy Bradshaw he wouldn't! I enjoy Tarrant and think he is rather good at his job which he has been doing for many years.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Some of the per-way in Myanmar was unbelievable. I was surprised that it wasn't de-railed at that speed.

It all looks to have good modelling possibilities if only anybody did 'Burmese' railway models!

There was an interesting programme an hour before on Al Jazeera (English) channel about Japanese Railways and the Japanese attitude to their railways.

An interesting 'preserved' steam line was under the threat of closure through lack of use. A totally different attitude to us lot.

Also the amazing cat stationmaster who was much missed after passing away and the driver of the first Shinkansen who was told not to go near 200 kph for fear of upsetting foreigners and said "oh what the hell, if it will do 200 I'll do it"!

An interesting take by an Englishman who had taught there for 10 years.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Enjoyed the Trans-Siberian (Trans-Polar) show this week, travelling to some off-beat places in Russia rather than the standard route to Irkursk. 

Mal

I agree Mal, and weren't some of those mighty Russian diesel locos just amazing, I just wish the TV producers would give the locos a chance to 'talk' for a change, they must sound great.

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder if any of those locos had technology derived from Kestrel? I also noticed that the the diesel hauling the last train appeared to be a Do-Do!

I noticed that as well in those silhouette shots at the end.   It's either a Do-Do of some sort of Bo-Bo + Bo-Bo.     I enjoyed the programme and like his style.

Jamie 

Not a bad program to watch.

except for its presenter. Interesting to see he hasn't changed. Just as rude and derogatory to everyone around him as he was when I had the misfortune to meet him at Capital Radio. They could have found anyone better.

I wasn't convinced that the problem was so much about the track as the springing/dampening of the carriages. He did well though to keep the contents of his stomach in place. (or perhaps off camera he didn't)

Edited by Kenton

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've noticed that is being repeated on Thursday evenings, but people may not be aware that Five is now available in HD on Freeview so you can watch the scenery in all its glory!

Which Freeview channel please?

• 5 months later...