NOVEMBER 2015 BRM + FREE DVD

Afternoon Everyone,

Hope you're all keeping well and full of enthusiasm for the new modelling season. The November 2015 issue of BRM goes on sale in shops on Thursday October 8th. It is available to download as a Digital Edition TODAY (October 2nd). Click here to Go Digital.

We hope you enjoy reading (and watching) it, as much as we enjoyed putting it together. Let us know what you think!

Ben

post-22012-0-48713900-1443797528.jpg

FREE DVD with every copy!
Included on this month’s DVD is:
* BRM N gauge Project Layout 'Stokesay'
* Redutex texture sheets and their uses
* London Transport Museum’s Bachmann S Stock Underground train
* Adding coal to tenders and wagons with Deluxe Materials’ ‘Ballast Magic’
* Massoth Smoke units and accessories

In this month's magazine...

4 GREAT LAYOUTS!
Wellbridge (OO): Read all about this popular exhibition layout depicting a small village on a busy SR main line.
Safety First (OO): This is an instructional safety layout for Northern Rail, which turned out to be a challenging project for Hazel Grove and District MRS!
Waverley West (OO): David Segar explains how this iconic gateway to the Scotish capital was re-created in OO in a spare bedroom.
Stokesay (N): Was ‘Stokesay’ dangerous to the health of the Telford Railway Modellers Group? Gordon Roden reflects.

Practical BRM
How to make brick warehouses: Phil Parker commences the architecture for 'Ruston Quays'.
How to make railway arches: A common sight in urban areas, often occupied by small business, so Phil makes his own for the BRM Project Layout.
Customise your rolling stock: How to get rid of that RTR ‘box fresh’ look and give wagons character.
Build Fordhampton Station: We build an old favourite, recently revived by Gaugemaster, and give it a modern twist.
Modify a Heljan Mk 1 Coach: Howard Smith converts this classic coach for his North Wales coast layout.
Transform a Hornby Railroad D49: How some careful detailing work can produce a model to be proud of!
Make the most of LEDs: Expert advice from Richard Johnson from DCC Concepts.

News & Reviews
What’s New: Heljan announces its first RTR steam locomotive in O gauge, Kernow’s exclusives and N gauge announcements by Revolution Trains.
Reviews: Dapol O gauge ‘Terrier’, Heljan’s Metropolitan Bo-Bo and Bachmann’s WR Hawksworth Autocoach.

Plus…
Prototype Inspiration: Big Brick Buildings
BRM Interview: Richard Johnson from DCC Concepts
Radio Control – The Future?
Diary Dates
Tail Lamp

post-22012-0-48713900-1443797528.jpg

Ben,

Just so you know, it has now taken just over two hours to download 25% of the digital version and that's on fast broadband.

Regards

The Pocketmags system can be very temperamental sometimes.  

The Pocketmags app on my Android Phone which has 4G can take a surprisingly long time downloading magazines.    

The download eventually reached 100% at 19:55!

This is not the first time that I have had downloading issues. Pocketmags are always very responsive and polite when I tell them but it has not improved so I haven't bothered this time!

I hate to say this Ben but I NEVER get any problems with the Railway Modeller, maybe you should look around for another internet service supplier?

Regards

Oh! Pocketmags have let us down again.These delays all started after the latest IOS was installed.

Do you think Warners Group should look elsewhere for another service provider?

Mine stopped at 22% but all I did was terminate the program and redownload and there were no more problems - it literally downloaded in a couple of minutes.

If BRM do look for another provider please DO NOT follow the Railway Modeller route. You only 'own' the magazine whilst you have a valid subscription and when said lapses you lose all back issues.

Mine downloaded in ten minutes and I'm in Darkest Africa with much slower broadband speeds. Doesn't it depend on how many other people are downloading magazines at the same time? ( my knowledge of computers is rather basic )

Anyway it's a great issue but as a Terrier fanatic I may be a bit biased.

I don't have a subscription to BRM and tend to download individual issues that look as though they might interest me. This one ticks all the boxes.

Please, please don't go the Railway Modeller route! It's really off putting not being able to 'own' magazines. I am a big Pocketmags fan because they are so helpful when things occasionally do go wrong.

I'm probably going to get shot down in flames now but why is everyone so impatient? There are complaints if paper magazines on subscription are only a few days late, now there are complaints if digital magazines don't download instantly.

I think you are all rather spoiled, try living in Africa where most model railway titles aren't available, those that are, are six weeks old and exorbitantly priced. Subscription copies disappear in the post.

If your magazine, either digitally or in the letterbox, hasn't arrived why not go and run a train or work on your layout?

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick flick through so far but it looks to be a great issue.

Can someone tell me where I download the Tillig track catalogue mentioned? It's supposed to be in the DVD extras menu for last month, but I can't see where to launch DVD extras?

• RMweb Gold

I'm probably going to get shot down in flames now but why is everyone so impatient? There are complaints if paper magazines on subscription are only a few days late, now there are complaints if digital magazines don't download instantly.

I think you are all rather spoiled, try living in Africa where most model railway titles aren't available, those that are, are six weeks old and exorbitantly priced. Subscription copies disappear in the post.

The vast majority of people don't live in Africa, and have different expectations accordingly. That said only a handful of BRMs 30,000 readers ever post on here, and BRM seem to want to know if there are distribution problems - which is only as they should.

I like to think I have patience and would happily wait for a download to complete overnight if there were connection issues but I was thirsty an hour ago and couldn't be ar*ed to wait for the kettle to boil so grabbed a can of Coke from the fridge. Hmmm. We do seem to want everything yesterday, don't we?

I don't think it's about patience but about Pocketmags getting the update right first time .

You shouldn't have to delete the app and re install in this day and age.

I should add however this applies to all Pocketmags downloads and not just BRM.

In defense of Railway Modeller, as a subscriber to its sister mag Continental Modeller, you can download to your PC . Not everything has to be held online. Having said that, I have not tended to use the online version for a while, but when I have been on holiday, it has been nice to look at the magazine before I get home.

• RMweb Premium

If your magazine, either digitally or in the letterbox, hasn't arrived why not go and run a train or work on your layout?

As someone who has previously mentioned that my Subs copy has not been delivered when expected, I should explain that any anxiety I feel is more often borne out of experience of delays and wrong deliveries in the postal system than any impatience with the publishers/distributors.

There are several very similar postal addresses in my near vicinity and I quite often get post intended for other people as a result and I know the opposite happens. Whereas I would 're direct' or 'return to sender' any such item, I've been told in no uncertain terms by one occupant of a similar address that they "just bin" anything that isn't intended for them, specifically identifying a copy of BRM addressed to me as a one time subject of this treatment'.

Having said that, I have, thankfully infrequently, experienced none receipt of my magazine because of distribution problems. It can be informative to read posts from others on RMWeb which indicate that there is a wider problem, rather than wondering whether my copy is alone in having gone astray and if I need to contact Warners.

As a footnote, I'm pleased to say my November copy arrived yesterday in advance of the publication date. I've enjoyed the Wellbridge layout feature and look forward to reading Tony Wright's article on upgrading a Hornby D49.

Going to resume construction of a Wills Goods shed kit now.

Regards,

John

John, round here, post for other houses just gets taken round. I have not heard of anything like you said.

Got my complimentary copy today. Interesting to see use of Redutex, as I have been aware of it as a product for several years, although it is only recently being imported into UK. There is another alternative for this kit, and that is Slaters embossed plastic sheet. A lot cheaper, and with all those windows and doors to cut out, I would be worried about wastage. Having said that the Redutex brick does look good.

The Redutx cobbles are even more useful, as they can be used to make non flat road surfaces. Similarly roof tiles, very useful for those uneven roofs.

Interesting to see Phil using the Wills retaining arches , a good kit, which I used on my Monkey Island mini dockyard layout, but I will probably try LCUT for next module. Many of the plastic kits have more varied brick bonds though. The Skytrex buildings look interesting, but for glazing on my latest model, I used tissue paper soaked in superglue. It goes translucent so is not see through but light does come through.

• RMweb Premium

John, round here, post for other houses just gets taken round. I have not heard of anything like you said.

rue_d_etropal,

For clarity, I should elaborate , lest you think I inhabit a totally uncivilised corner of this fair land.

My estate partially shares its name with three other communities /estates which lie within a 1 mile radius.  

Despite distinct differences in other parts of these addresses and post codes, items of mail intended for residents with my house number on these other estates does from time to time arrive here and, as I have said, post for me has errantly been delivered to each of them. It is a cause for concern from time to time.(In mitigation to Royal Mail, this is often because business databases have confused name and address combinations on communications.)

The instance I quoted about a missing copy of BRM some years ago was of course an extreme example, involving someone with what used to be called an 'attitude problem'. Their address is almost a mile away and I would not expect anyone to climb the mile of 1 in 12 to pass on my post from their location, although you can imagine that having undertaken the opposite journey to enquire about the possibility that the mag might have gone there, I was somewhat taken aback to be told it had definitely been 'binned' in common with any other items of mail incorrectly delivered to that address. 

Amongst my near neighbours, I'm glad to say that the situation is as you describe and most incorrectly delivered items of post are just handed on to the correct addressee.

Regards,

John

• Administrators

BRM November goes on-sale in shops as of today (October 8th). The 'Lead Layout' this month is Wellbridge, as photographed by Andy York. Here's one of the pictures, showing a grubby 9F, No. 92245 rumbling through with an inter-regional express bound for Bournemouth West.

post-14186-0-10972600-1444297888_thumb.jpg

It also appears on the front cover.

post-14186-0-77017900-1444297914.jpg

It is good to see Wellbridge in print.  I first saw it at Stafford a few years ago and was very impressed by the natural grouping of the buildings.

My sub copy arrived separately from the other mail delivered that day.  Whether Postie had put it into the wrong letter box and a kind neighbour has toddled along the street to put it into mine or whether there is a more mysterious explanation I know not.

Chris 

Thanks chaps for an excellent edition- although not a DCC person, I particularly enjoyed Richard Johnson's article, especially his thoughts on trackwork - I have been frustrated for years when cleaning track to find that however clean it is, the cleaning cloth always turns black. Now I know! Cheers Richard!

A good read this month with 3 excellent layouts and inspirational modelling features, and I also enjoyed the DVD too!

At least this time I didn't take any photos of any of the pages with my iPad in the WHSmiths shop lol!

Sam

• RMweb Gold

I really liked David Bagley's article on RC. It certainly makes sense to take power off the track but not the control functions. Dragging batteries around and needing recharging was the obvious flaw in other RC systems, and by removing the effects of dirty track on digital signals it seems a logical route. 

It is also interesting to compare with the DCC Concepts approach to DCC wiring complexity. 

Archived