NOVEMBER 2015 BRM + FREE DVD

• 1 month later...

Hello.

I have just got around to watching the November DVD. I have to say that the article elements/how to's are good and I enjoy seeing that in live action, so good job there. My comments below are meant as constructive criticism that I would like to help your team produce a better product so please take it as such, video can be a great boost if it flows well and looks just as good.

My gripe is in the video about Stokesay and I believe that you need to talk with whoever hires your video producer as I found the shaky camera very annoying (all that is required is a tripod and an mildly experienced camera operator). The sound was pretty poor, most of the loud background noise that swamped the interview making it almost indistinguishable (coughs for example) should have been avoided on the day by various techniques but should definitely have been reduced to sufficient levels whilst editing. Simply just using the feed from the lapel mic's without the on board camera mic mixed in (replacing it with a fairly average shotgun mic would help towards noise cancellation a lot but it is not wholly necessary) would have helped here.

The transition between some of the shots with the fast moving trains winging it past with the associated noises was pretty unnecessary and I personally found them quite brash and in your face, a nice experiment but it should not have made it onto the DVD, do you guys get to review the draft edit before it goes out to avoid things like that in future?

A little prior scripting with the members of the group would have come in handy also as several times the interviewer was over spoken or vice versa, maybe if you both knew roughly what questions and speaking parts came where in the conversation this could be avoided.

On a more personal preference I would like a bit more video time dedicated to seeing the actual layout. You have gone all the way to see the layout in person with a camera and you have produced all of this on a DVD that has a much larger storage capacity than is used currently, so on top of what you already have why not add an extra 5 minutes or more of the particular layout in question actually in operation. Maybe have some of the interview narrated over the top and holding the shots on the layout for longer as I felt that I had the briefest of moments to actually see it before it switched to a different loco on a different section.

Many thanks and please leave feedback on my points if you have some.

Ash

Archived