OO gauge class 74 electro-diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

Hi everyone,

With the success of the class 71 crowdfunding (by the way, to aid those that are undecided i am extending the crowdfunding cut off date for 3 months to allow for pictures of the model to circulate among you, the press, and on my website and forums), work has now begun on the class 74 electro-diesel locomotive in OO gauge.

This will also be crowd funded, but to a lesser extent than the 71 due to slides being put into the tooling to allow for the tool to be 'future proof' and aid the class 74 development.

Crowd sourcers for the class 71 will, due to their faith in the project that is now coming to fruition, get the chance to crowd source the class 74 at a lower price, whereas those that didn't contribute to the crowd sourced the 71 pay a higher price.

However the higher price is still under what the modeler will pay when they reach stockists about 6 months after release to crowd sourcers.

For the first time, this crowd sourcing is offering a weathered version which will be faithfully copied from a master model created by Mercig Studios .

This model will, like the class 71, lead the way in detail, and features, and include, 

Close coupling, with NEM coupling box

Coreless non-cogging super smooth and silent motor

RP25.110 darkened wheel sets

Directional lighting

fully independent cab lighting

fully painted cab interior

Separate air pipes and buffer beam detail

Sprung buffers

Designed space for the largest sealed speaker for those that wish to run DCC sound

Switches on the underside to turn off head and tail light independent of DCC control

A host of factory fitted parts including windscreen wipers, handrails etc

A separate front valance without the coupling slot is supplied in the box

Details of codes, running numbers and prices are on this link to Kernow's Web site....

post-1144-0-33489300-1444068092.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I always said I'd be up for at least one 74 if and when produced.  And come Monday I'll be as good as my word.  

Edit : It's Monday evening here.  Two class 74s are now on order

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

How do you get the generous discount? I've got a 71 on order from Kernow, and I tried to order a 74 from them but it came up at the full price.

Edited by Budgie

• RMweb Premium

How do you get the generous discount? I've got a 71 on order from Kernow, and I tried to order a 74 from them but it came up at the full price.

If you read the Kernow web page it clearly states that the discount will be applied when they process your order and the value refunded to you.

• RMweb Gold

If you read the Kernow web page it clearly states that the discount will be applied when they process your order and the value refunded to you.

The website says that the discount and postage charge will be deducted manually.

OK, sorry. It's a but early for me; I don't normally get going until midday (at least that's my excuse).

• RMweb Premium

Rather wierd livery description on the Kernow website - "small full yellow ends"........

Keith

Indeed.  Email enquiry sent to confirm the actual meaning.  TOPS-numbered locos should have a full yellow end.  Pre-TOPS locos I believe carried a small panel upon first release to traffic which matched the initial Rep/TC livery and that of numerous DEMU units in the Hampshire area at the time.

• RMweb Gold

Pre-TOPS locos I believe carried a small panel upon first release to traffic which matched the initial Rep/TC livery and that of numerous DEMU units in the Hampshire area at the time.

Blue with full yellow ends from conversion in 1967 according to various images in 'The Power of the Electro-Diesels' by Colin Marsden, and the Electro-Diesels An Illustrated History of Classes 73 and 74 by the same author.

• RMweb Premium

Blue with full yellow ends from conversion in 1967 according to various images in 'The Power of the Electro-Diesels' by Colin Marsden, and the Electro-Diesels An Illustrated History of Classes 73 and 74 by the same author.

In which case all should be full yellow end.  

• RMweb Gold

Dave

Much more appeal that the geographically challenged class 71, good development.

The correct link is (Dave's link didn't find the right page).

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/1181/DJ-Models

Up front payments for an unseen model is too big a leap of faith for me, but will buy if the promised goods are delivered, so hoping for success here.

Neil