OO gauge class 74 electro-diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

Dave - now you have your first, in-house kettle on the shelves (congratulations for which by the way) do you have any better idea of timescales for the 74 now?

Many thanks

Hi Mike,

The cad cam has started in earnest on this model now, and i expect something within the next 2 months for comments.

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
71H, on 05 Jul 2016 - 11:23, said:71H, on 05 Jul 2016 - 11:23, said:71H, on 05 Jul 2016 - 11:23, said:

Ordered 74 010 today :imsohappy:  ...........only one small problem i can foresee, how in hell's bell's name do i expain two Class 74's arriving on the doorstep to the 'boss' ? :scratchhead: (she only know's about one 74 i bought, the other one she doesn't know about, she might have a mental fit if she finds out)

I need to think of a good excuse or i'll be in the dark brown smelly stuff otherwise and i certainly don't wish to wake up in the morning with my gentleman's vegetables floating in a glass of water next to my bedside !!! :O

There's no man who can look his spouse in the face and lie - and get clean away with it...

Her long range radars pick up on the lie from hundreds of miles away..

There's nothing you can do.... so accept your fate..

The only defence, and its not proven to work, is to point out that unlike most purchases, Model Trains hold their value.

They can be viewed as a wise investment.

Persuade her that she really ought to be encouraging you to buy more trains, and not discouraging you!

Edited by Bill

There's no man who can look his spouse in the face and lie - and get clean away with it...

Her long range radars pick up on the lie from hundreds of miles away..

There's nothing you can do.... so accept your fate..

The only defence, and its not proven to work, is to point out that unlike most purchases, Model Trains hold their value.

They can be viewed as a wise investment.

Persuade her that she really ought to be encouraging you to buy more trains, and not discouraging you!

It's not what you do but what you get caught doing that sinks you. I just told my wife last C******mas that I was buying a loco and when she realised I was paying out of my own pocket, she lost interest.

Edited by Judge Dread

Hi Mike,

The cad cam has started in earnest on this model now, and i expect something within the next 2 months for comments.

cheers

Dave

Hello Dave

Once the froth of Warley is over, could you please give us an update on progress? It is now 2 months since your last one. I fully understand that we should not be thinking in terms of a forecast production date yet, and that it could well be into 2018, but is the project now viable? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The words which formed on my lips when I saw that picture would very likely have me banned from this place if not the entire internet.  What the ........ ????? :O

• RMweb Premium

It is certainly cheaper than the DJM one, but I wonder if it is up to the same standard.....

Rails' description states "Built and finished to a good standard".

Would the Trades Descriptions Act possibly apply here?  Any it surprises me that Rails, with their generally good reputation, have even gone near this and others from the same source let alone try to sell it for almost £70.  If we knew what the chassis / motor unit was it might help as they could be useful spares.  The body ...... sadder than a bag of wet mice.

• RMweb Premium

If we knew what the chassis / motor unit was it might help as they could be useful spares. The body ...... sadder than a bag of wet mice.

Looks like a Lima 73 to me, so maybe useful, but still not at that price!

Edit: Signaller is right - 33 rather than 73 chassis!

Edited by amwells

Looks like an old MTK class 74 body plonked straight on a Lima/Hornby Railroad Class 33 chassis. Perhaps the builder didn't feel confident adding the MTK bogie side frames and underfloor equipment, or its been re-chassied? Whilst far from perfect, I have to say I've seen worse, and illustrates quite well one of the few options available for doing a 74 in years gone by. Hopefully not for much longer!

Edited by Signaller69

The 4mm group at the Hull MRS were lucky with a builder of MTK kits who knew what he was doing. Here's the 74 at the coal yard of Chessington (Chalk Lane) way back in the 70's. No Lima chassis or bogies for us.

post-276-0-37422600-1481551871_thumb.jpg

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 9

I bought one off ebay from another member this forum (I think) earlier this year for only a couple of quid more than the Rails one. Silver Fox body nicely finished, neat handrails, Heljan 33 chassis, so v strong and quiet, with appropriate side frames (I hope). Very nice indeed!

The body shell is a DCKits Body Kit which Silver Fox have bought from DC Kits.   Charlie

• RMweb Gold

It's a bit off to criticise someone elses modelling

I take it everyone has perfect models they have built themselves rather than waiting for DJM to make them?

Jason

Don't think it was the modeller being criticised, rather the description of it.

Roy

That last example is stunning, and goes to show how a combination of flush glazing and weathering bring life to a model.

And seeing that MTK and dc have played their hand, here my genesis example not built by me , has Lima power and despite all the misgiving about their pancakes, this one is so well run in and has a good weight that it runs smoothly and quietly.

post-5809-0-01702800-1482005143_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Must it warrant compliments?

Here's my re-shaped (but still not right) Silverfox loco on a Heljan 33 chassis.

P1020928_zpswb8tinvr.jpg

No. But isn't it better to keep your mouth shut if you haven't got anything nice to say?

No one knows the history of that model. Would you be happy if someone was slagging off the efforts of your deceased father or brother on the internet?

Jason