OO gauge class 74 electro-diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

Page says will be charged in full at time of order, what happens if it doesn't go ahead or not for a long time in the future?

I'd love to be able to commit the £150 but simply can't afford to have the money tied up for an unknown period :(

• RMweb Gold

Page says will be charged in full at time of order, what happens if it doesn't go ahead or not for a long time in the future?

I'd love to be able to commit the £150 but simply can't afford to have the money tied up for an unknown period :(

Have a read of this: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/149/DJ-Models-Class-71-Project

All explained.

Roy

If it doesn't go ahead, Kernow will refund your monies.

However I am hopeful that a new push might .......ahem......push it over the line.

Cheers

Dave

If it doesn't go ahead, Kernow will refund your monies.

However I am hopeful that a new push might .......ahem......push it over the line.

Cheers

Dave

How close is it in % terms, Dave?

Ah, the dreaded percentage question.

The model is roughly 50% of the way there, taking into account the 71 will donate a chassis and motor / drive etc.

What's needed is bogies, body, etched grills, and underfloor equipment plus design funds @ uk£2500.00,

I note more interest today after the 71 launch, and hope we can all pull together and push this over the line, but it might be that I have to offer different running numbers to the trade to make up any shortfall.

One of the things about doing your first one, is how it will be received by the modelling public, and you do, when having so much money from the modeller, have, during the development right up to delivery, small crises of confidence. So you worry, lose sleep, get anxious etc.

After all, if it was rubbish, i would have lost face, and been in a position where, having the gamble fail of repaying monies spent on a pup.

Luckily, as you know, I'm not a totally shy and retiring fellow, so I saw it through, but did have my moments.

The result is the 71, now I'm confident we can do the 74, and the 92 is a step change upwards entirely.

• Like 4

Funny I always believed modern traction with wrap around yellow ends on the cab, and white roofs started in the 1980's...

Yet here in 1968, still with "e" numbers is a 73, with a class 74..

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/CL74/SR0101.jpg

Going OT but those 73 liveries are interesting. A small yellow panel blue loco next to a full wrap around yellow front (a fore taste of later large logo livery) and white roofs both with small BR arrow logos mounted high up in the same photo.

The nub of the matter is that all 74's were blue livery with full yellow ends with just the choice of E numbers or TOPS numbers ... and there were only ten of them versus twenty four Class 71's. To get further mileage from the model, there could be weathered versions but I would have thought that a 74 could scrape onto more layouts than a 71 could, therefore boosting  :sarcastic:  its potential market.

I like the pun. :) Dave is probably right – there isn’t the variety of livery. I have one on order (and a single 71 on its way to join its Hornby step-sister). Weathering might add to the appeal but it’s not for me. On the other hand, lack of funds is all that is stopping me from getting a Hornby NRM gloss version. Possibly a few weathered and a few in gloss? Kernow is fond of commissioning weathered versions of stuff. Perhaps Chris T. might dip his toe :sarcastichand: into gloss? Not easy to do properly, though. It would need NRM rather than Heljan gloss.

I’m so fussy. :punish:

It is disappointing to hear that it’s only half-way there. Come on, people! You need it to complete the set of third-rail electric locos.

The nub of the matter is that all 74's were blue livery with full yellow ends with just the choice of E numbers or TOPS numbers

I'd be interested in a 'fantasy' 74 in green (SYP, but none of this orange cantrail business) - maybe as a 'preserved' 74 retro-painted into a livery it never carried - there are precedents.

Edited by Dogmatix

YES!!!! How about Jaffa and NSE as well? I've often wondered if there is a market for fictional liverys. Why not, I would!

I'd be interested in a 'fantasy' 74 in green (SYP, but none of this orange cantrail business) - maybe as a 'preserved' 74 retro-painted into a livery it never carried - there are precedents.

• RMweb Gold

Funny I always believed modern traction with wrap around yellow ends on the cab, and white roofs started in the 1980's...

Yet here in 1968, still with "e" numbers is a 73, with a class 74..

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/CL74/SR0101.jpg

TOPS was still an ocean away on Southern Pacific in 1968, and although steam had gone, many locos still had D and E prefixes on their original numbers. The Big EDLs (subsequently Class 74) were maintained at Eastleigh, I think, rather than the Lane. 

The three locos are outside the electric loco shed, which included a wheel-lathe on the right hand road. The EL is standing on a particular pair of hand points that I remember. Late one afternoon in 1978 I watched a chap pull those points before setting back into the shed, but he wasn't happy with their lie, and pulled them again. He then climbed into the engine, still looking back at those points - and moved the loco gently onto the points whereupon it derailed. I watched all this from the offices on the right of the Crompton (subsequently Class 33) on the right of the EL/EDLs. I was Relief Yard Manager at the time. I went into the supervisor's office and said what I'd seen happen. He was unconcerned, explaining that that was CM&EE territory and they would organise their own re-railing! Next morning on my train, going past on the viaduct from which that pic was taken, the matter was indeed being sorted, as the steam crane had its jib in the air and was making a fine show for the passing punters!

• Like 3

It would be a real shame if this doesn't come to fruition. I to ordered a 74 as soon as I saw the option for the weathered model. I really hope this gets an increase in orders so that we can get another stunning work of art.

Always thought these 2 classes of loco's as being beautiful even though having never been lucky enough to see one in the flesh as it were and only ever seeing E5001, I have always wanted a model of one of these since seeing a photo my Dad had taken of a couple of withdrawn loco's he saw at Eastleigh back in 77 and then seeing a phot of some at Doncaster in a Modern Railways magazine.

Lets just hope the orders come in so we can yet get something special.

Regards

Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE

• RMweb Gold

It would be a real shame if this doesn't come to fruition. I to ordered a 74 as soon as I saw the option for the weathered model. I really hope this gets an increase in orders so that we can get another stunning work of art.

Worst case scenario Dave. If the model doesn't go ahead and I really hope this isn't the case and forgive me if you have answered this question before, Do all moneys paid up front get refunded? Or do they stay in a reserve fund for a future project?

Always thought these 2 classes of loco's as being beautiful even though having never been lucky enough to see one in the flesh as it were and only ever seeing E500, I have always wanted a model of one of these since seeing a photo my Dad had taken of a couple of withdrawn loco's he saw at Eastleigh back in 77 and then seeing a phot of some at Doncaster in a Modern Railways magazine.

Lets just hope the orders come in so we can yet get something special.

Regards

Trailrage

Dave answered that about a dozen posts up: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103598-oo-gauge-class-74-electro-diesel-locomotive/page-6&do=findComment&comment=2720121

Edit: Now with right link!

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

What it realy needs now is good magazine reviews of the Class 71 and a reminder from them that the Class 74 project exists. It is all ok discussing it all here, but we are a small percentage of the potential market.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

It's a safer bet than the 71 in my mind, it's doubtful Hornby will do this one.

It could be a model which has a slow burn potential for reruns in the future with different numbers over time.

My guess would be close the books on the pre-order to keep it special, allow 1 or 2 as a retailer limited edition at a higher price, to help it cross the line, and consider other runs in the future as general release.

It's a very niche, keep it that way by price / limited qty.

Longer term the 74 has more potential than the 71.. given Hornby saturated that market.

Edited by adb968008

It's true !  You can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear !

http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?71035_sthn.jpg

The two-tone green and white Southern livery is one of the few modern liveries which can really complement railway vehicles.

It's true !  You can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear !

http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/photo.php?71035_sthn.jpg

The two-tone green and white Southern livery is one of the few modern liveries which can really complement railway vehicles.

Nope, that's a sow's ear in any guise :)

Given that we now have the bizare sight of 73s hauling the highland sleepers, perhaps we could have a model 74 in sleeper livery?

Oh the temptation, but I'm sure it wouldn't be anything like......

Thinking of a fictitious livery......

I'd like to see a class 74 in S & DJR blue livery.

Nice thought but I know it will never happen.

In the real world, I know of a class 74 engine that is being worked on to bring it back up and running soon to be used in a class 14.

It was recovered from a ship that acquired it from BR in the 70's when the 74's were sadly scrapped.

Edited by 71H