OO gauge class 74 electro-diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I read that there was a plan to move some of them to Merseyside for departmental duties in the 1970s but they were beyond economic repair.

I'm wondering what one would look like in Merseyrail Electrics yellow. 

Jason

Another reason to have one on your layout.

On the fake livery front, just imagine if 74010 had remained at Derby and ended up in RTC livery!

And on the subject of 74010, this was the only 74 I ever saw in 1978 at Derby when I was 10 years old, so I'm thinking that even though I have 74003 on order, I may order the weathered 74010 to go with it when I next get paid!

• RMweb Premium

Liveries are truly in the eye of the beholder.

Normally I'd agree but in the case of Connex...

Personally I think FS (Italy) nailed it with their brown (castano/Isabella) liveries. Perfect for hiding weathering...

Connex were awful in every sense of the word. Nice discussion on alternative liveries but you need 200 people for each.

Now if you ordered a 4-TC, a 74 is ideal.

The 71s were limited in their early days to the south east, but these went west, even some parts of the western region and some parts of the midlands.

There are detailed differences between as converted and end of life, bug this will mean additional tooling costs.

It is true this class full between end of steam and before the 80s, but then so does the APT-E.

Looking forward to my 4TC and 74, both already ordered. Not sure how far such a train would have got with the 74 on diesel power, but its my layout!

They were seen a lot bringing 4-TCs into London on coach stock movements. They were used at first to try and cover the last stretch to Weymouth.

The advantage of the 74 over a 33/1 is that it could attached and powering the entire train from one end to the other avoiding delay in coupling a loco when you reach the dead part. However the 33/1 was redoubtable, reliable and much more powerful in the diesel domain.

The few breakdowns quickly made the class unpopular. The curious thing is that these diesel engines were unreliable in a 74 yet reliable in a 14 or 29 (either that or those classes were withdrawn before really being put to use). A problem compound by the control system which merged the diesel and electrical parts into one. I can only assume that the diesel engine had to start up and deliver full power immediately without any warm up period which caused the breakdowns. Maybe they should have been fitted 73 diesels and control boards after all. This would give 73 diesel reliability and user controls but 71 3rd rail power. The class could have lasted longer as they in effect a more powerful 73 on 3rd rail.

• Like 1

29? Reliable? :jester: :jester: :jester:

That is what most 74s sources tend to say! I did raise an eyebrow at the choice of engine used on a pair classes that were about to be phased out.

The 74s were the cheap alternative to a super 73. The latter is speculated as centre cab design. Now if the SR was going to be cheap and convert 71s instead then with highlight they could have been cheaper still using 73 engines and control panels. Ok, not the power of a type 3 but even the Paxmans added only 50 hp more and far more trouble. Still in hindsight.

Let's hope this model 74 is a success.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

I can't help thinking a 120 mile return to Weymouth, at >60mph is a bit of a long stretch for what is a class 14 engine, used by the WR for branch freights and trip working !

Occasionally I suppose, but that's a bit of a wear on it I'd have thought ?

What's it's steam equivalent..a 4f maybe, expected to be used at a much higher utilisation ratio ?

Edited by adb968008

Talking of liveries, can anyone tell me when the silly orange cantrail first appeared, and when it became compulsory for all diesel locomotives, even preserved ones in liveries which never had one?

For example, a good stable-mate for a blue 71 or 74 would be a 33/1, as offered by Heljan - but their TOPS-numbered version is only available with that %&%##@&% orange cantrail.

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to my 4TC and 74, both already ordered. Not sure how far such a train would have got with the 74 on diesel power, but its my layout!

Just to add that my layout is based on NW England, having a 74 and 4TC is pushing things a bit! Could always say its been on a boat train or railtour to Birkinhead.

Talking of liveries, can anyone tell me when the silly orange cantrail first appeared, and when it became compulsory for all diesel locomotives, even preserved ones in liveries which never had one?

For example, a good stable-mate for a blue 71 or 74 would be a 33/1, as offered by Heljan - but their TOPS-numbered version is only available with that %&%##@&% orange cantrail.

Hello Dogmatix 

Pretty sure it was late 70's or early 80's as I can remember seeing them on the AC electrics when the were still in blue and certainly on several Diesels  to.

Here you go 87005 at Wolverhampton during 1979

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tutenkhamunsleeping/5120146480/in/photolist-8Ns6aA-T4yy5p-9BwE6E-aD1MuB-hWD4Q5-nZonKU-8Np1ji-aog83C-9b2E7w-nukUMC-aD1MfZ-8YhBcq-pcaYrS-9sUNg5-aD5CSA-a4NPKW-qSAPU5-aD5CMm-bm1QWH-rXSSZB-nMSWhv-a4KXDH-8D7ABM-9yPXrD-dL8tHp-5s2qQk-9RuMzH-fN2ZG8-S1of9U-jD83gD-p3cjKZ-jQr3ng-oX3dym-be7cH2-9Tcjqj-x4bxUS-JdMKdS-8ZjpiZ-dQoAda-fKjKyM-dUhSuM-6UkKrs-ojUQXQ-fzMCSM-qTvz7S-qWb4qD-pww55G-8NrdUx-r37KkW-9vYGiv

Cheers Trailrage

Hello Dogmatix 

Pretty sure it was late 70's or early 80's as I can remember seeing them on the AC electrics when the were still in blue and certainly on several Diesels  to.

Here you go 87005 at Wolverhampton during 1979

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tutenkhamunsleeping/5120146480/in/photolist-8Ns6aA-T4yy5p-9BwE6E-aD1MuB-hWD4Q5-nZonKU-8Np1ji-aog83C-9b2E7w-nukUMC-aD1MfZ-8YhBcq-pcaYrS-9sUNg5-aD5CSA-a4NPKW-qSAPU5-aD5CMm-bm1QWH-rXSSZB-nMSWhv-a4KXDH-8D7ABM-9yPXrD-dL8tHp-5s2qQk-9RuMzH-fN2ZG8-S1of9U-jD83gD-p3cjKZ-jQr3ng-oX3dym-be7cH2-9Tcjqj-x4bxUS-JdMKdS-8ZjpiZ-dQoAda-fKjKyM-dUhSuM-6UkKrs-ojUQXQ-fzMCSM-qTvz7S-qWb4qD-pww55G-8NrdUx-r37KkW-9vYGiv

Cheers Trailrage

• RMweb Gold

I don't recall a Heljan 33/1 with no headlight having a cantrail stripe.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

In my experience anything with the word 'Paxman' on the side was best avoided.  We used them for constant speed alternators on a couple of ships, they were an unmitigated disaster as well as pigs to work on.  Exhaust manifold studs where just a nightmare, we had to male special spanners to get to the nuts.  And oil leaks......oh the oil leaks. And the thrown con rods....and the liners...and and and.....

I don't recall a Heljan 33/1 with no headlight having a cantrail stripe.

Roy

On their website, Heljan list three 33/1s in blue: D6511 (no headlight, no orange cantrail); 33 119 (no headlight, orange cantrail); 33 102 (headlight, orange cantrail). They do not do a 33 1xx without headlight and orange cantrail. So I wonder which is easier: change numbers on a D6511, or paint over the cantrail on a 33 119. Or just wait until someone else makes a better version...