OO gauge class 74 electro-diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

On their website, Heljan list three 33/1s in blue: D6511 (no headlight, no orange cantrail); 33 119 (no headlight, orange cantrail); 33 102 (headlight, orange cantrail). They do not do a 33 1xx without headlight and orange cantrail. So I wonder which is easier: change numbers on a D6511, or paint over the cantrail on a 33 119. Or just wait until someone else makes a better version...

I have, in the past, renumbered Heljan locos, including a couple of blue 33s. In my case, I have taken them back to D numbers from TOPS. The Heljan base colours tend to be fairly thinly applied, so my usual abrasive number removal is not a good idea with these. I haven't tried removing the orange stripes, but wonder if that might be a bit easier to do, depending on how well they are applied in the first place. My experience with them on Hornby diesels is that they rub off easily with frequent handling, but Heljan's application may be a little more robust.

• RMweb Gold

On their website, Heljan list three 33/1s in blue: D6511 (no headlight, no orange cantrail); 33 119 (no headlight, orange cantrail); 33 102 (headlight, orange cantrail). They do not do a 33 1xx without headlight and orange cantrail. So I wonder which is easier: change numbers on a D6511, or paint over the cantrail on a 33 119. Or just wait until someone else makes a better version...

They have issued several other 33/1s that match what you need which are still available new occasionally. I will keep an eye open and PM you.

Roy

In my experience anything with the word 'Paxman' on the side was best avoided

Class 56 and HST were the best pieces of kit I ever worked with. Never failed with either of them.

275!

That's the number of crowdfunders for the class 74 to date.

So just over 25% of the way there.

Fingers crossed the 71 pushes this skywards.

New advert publicising the 74 booked for at least 1 magazine.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Class 56 and HST were the best pieces of kit I ever worked with. Never failed with either of them.

The 56 prime movers weren't 'real' Paxmans, but EE/Ruston engines of totally different parentage, mostly EE developed from the type used in 37's, 40's and so on.  It is a medium speed engine, not high speed.

HST's are being re-engined, although the Valenta's seem to have given quite good service considering the time they have been around.  They had to get it right eventually.  They are a later design than my experiences, which were earlier engines, Ventura and mostly earlier which were pretty awful.  Really, I had to maintain the damn things.  Their failures and peccadillos were famous in our company.

• Like 1

275!

Cheers

Dave

275? Surely this is more due to a lack of awareness than interest...the collectors alone should account for a good number of an unusual new release I would have thought?

The magazine ad will hopefully pay dividends...how about a glossy compliments slip size flyer to be packed into existing releases regardless of type...a release such as this may pique the interest of the least expected potential buyer after all.

** I've had a weathered 74010 on order from day one...really hoping to see it before I turn 50 in 3 years time :jester:

• Like 1

I would postulate that part of the problem is that people will only crowd source so many models at a time.

At the same time, we southern fans are bombarded with a lot of new southern items right now. The 74s cash is competing with Buliied diesels, 4-TC, H class, Atlantics and birdcages before the end of this year. Others who probably might, have currently tied resources into a 92. Sure the 74 is a good distance away but I can see people holding on to their money until the above crowd of items has cleared the banks.

An incentive could be to fix a date limit on the tenner off for those who had ordered a 71.

The lack of liveries makes opening the model to the retail trade difficult. But I can see two further options (aside from the fantasy liveries above);

1/ a weathered version with an E number

2/ a version with the farewell tour markings (see the link below, is that a 4-TC behind it?)

https://wobblewinterwanderings.smugmug.com/Trains/Class-74/i-b5bWJPz

Edited by JSpencer

The Class 77 that was crowd funded did okay and there was only seven of those ... (though okay, there were four or five liveries to choose from). 

Although it is said that this DJM class 71 is the first crowd funded OO model, Olivia's Trains / Heljan classes 76, 77 and Tommy were all funded before release and if enough pre-paid orders were not forthcoming, we would all get a refund. This actually happened in the case of Tommy where there was not enough interest in any of the three variations offered. 

The Class 77 that was crowd funded did okay and there was only seven of those ... (though okay, there were four or five liveries to choose from). 

Although it is said that this DJM class 71 is the first crowd funded OO model, Olivia's Trains / Heljan classes 76, 77 and Tommy were all funded before release and if enough pre-paid orders were not forthcoming, we would all get a refund. This actually happened in the case of Tommy where there was not enough interest in any of the three variations offered.

I ordered the 77 long before it came out and I am pretty sure I did not pay up front.

I ordered the 77 long before it came out and I am pretty sure I did not pay up front. 

I ordered all three. I was refunded on Tommy as it did not reach the pre-order target. I could either have had a full refund or a voucher for the full amount plus a percentage on top. Tommy was definitely on a pre-pay basis which is probably why it wasn't taken up ... pre "crowdfunding" but essentially the same thing.

Olivia's also had Heljan on the case of the Blue Pullman but Bachmann then announced that they would be making one and were far advanced in the tooling. Pre-orders were then swapped over to the Bachmann product.

Edited by SGP

I ordered all three. I was refunded on Tommy as it did not reach the pre-order target. I could either have had a full refund or a voucher for the full amount plus a percentage on top. Tommy was definitely on a pre-pay basis which is probably why it wasn't taken up ... pre "crowdfunding" but essentially the same thing.

Olivia's also had Heljan on the case of the Blue Pullman but Bachmann then announced that they would be making one and were far advanced in the tooling. Pre-orders were then swapped over to the Bachmann product.

Oops, got mixed up a bit. It was a 76 that I ordered and did not pay up front. Both these models (76 and 77) were expensive for their time but match the prices we see today. I guess they added a big margin of security in order to ensure costs were recovered even if the entire run was not sold.

Now how can we help to get more sales on the 74?

Talking directly to Neil a few years ago when I was asked to quote for Tommy, he told me that he had a benefactor who was putting a lot of money into the 76/77 project as he'd always wanted a layout having those locos on.

Whether that was fully funded or partial, I never asked.

275!

Cheers

Dave

At some Stage will order one but as someone said earlier the run on SR models at the mo is bursting the Budget!! Looking forward to getting the 71 hopefully today !!

• RMweb Premium

I was looking for a link to the class 74 project to forward but couldn't find one.

In addition to the retailer(s) the various enthusiast bodies may generate additional interest if they had a link to do so.

• RMweb Gold

This will take you to the order page.......     http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/1181/DJ-Models

and this for the blurb.....       http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/149/DJ-Models-Class-71-Project

cheers

Dave

Dave, I would think it may be worth now asking Kernow to create the Class 74 its own page, rather than muddling the two. Given the 71 is now delivered much of what is written is now outdated and may actually confuse people who don't realise the 74 exists.

I would order more, but 2 71s and 2 74s is already stretching it a bit for my typically early 1980s layout.

Roy

Dave , I'm about to order a 74 , can you just confirm to me that the pristine ones do not have the "w" at the end of the part numbers , I just want to make sure I order the correct one !

I would also agree with Roy above re the 71 and 74 being advertised together , maybe if the 74 is stand alone on the website it may be a bit more prominent for sales .

Hi,

W for weathered is only for the Kernow model, none of mine are weathered.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, I would think it may be worth now asking Kernow to create the Class 74 its own page, rather than muddling the two. Given the 71 is now delivered much of what is written is now outdated and may actually confuse people who don't realise the 74 exists.

I would order more, but 2 71s and 2 74s is already stretching it a bit for my typically early 1980s layout.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Agreed.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

The most positive thing I can say about the Paxman engines I worked with is that they weren't as bad as the truly evil Ruston AO or MAN KSZ (Hitler's revenge) and no worse than the ghastly Detroit engines  I was sentenced to work with.

Dave, I would think it may be worth now asking Kernow to create the Class 74 its own page, rather than muddling the two.

I agree - the class 74 is actually pretty well hidden on the Kernow website - to the extent that, until Dave' adverts hit the doormats, probably the only people who know about it are those following this forum.

If you go to the Kernow home page, it is not mentioned anywhere.  If you follow the link from the home page to limited editions:  http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/110/Limited-Editions

then the class 74 does not appear anywhere on that page - although the D600 warship and class 71 are there.  To find the Class 74 you have to follow the class 71 link and then scroll all the way down to the bottom, where it appears rather like an afterthought.

What would be much better (and I do realise that Kernow may have other marketing priorities) would be if the class 74 could have its own page, as already suggested, and have a link to it from that feature box at the top of the home page, as well as referenced from the limited editions page. 

Wording such as "Following on from the success of the DJM Class 71....."! would be good.

I think it would also be a good idea to make it clear in the blurb about the Class 74 that it was an electro-diesel, so totally realistic to run it without a 3rd rail. Some might have not bought a Class 71 because it doesn't look right without a 3rd rail present, so they might order a class 74 if they realise it didn't always need one, when the diesel engine wasn't on fire...  (no, no! don't put that last bit in!)

The magazines always seem to publish progress on new projects, so I guess an update on Class 74 progress (ie: Class 71  now delivered, Class 74 now awaiting sufficient crowdfunding orders) might be of interest to the magazine editors.  The update could include a link to the Kernow website, but the class 74 page on their needs sorting out first.

Just my two-penneth!

I want this to happen as I really want a Class 74  (actually I have ordered two).

Regards,

Pete

Edited by PeteB
  • Like 2

I agree - the class 74 is actually pretty well hidden on the Kernow website - to the extent that, until Dave' adverts hit the doormats, probably the only people who know about it are those following this forum.

If you go to the Kernow home page, it is not mentioned anywhere.  If you follow the link from the home page to limited editions:  http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/110/Limited-Editions

then the class 74 does not appear anywhere on that page - although the D600 warship and class 71 are there.  To find the Class 74 you have to follow the class 71 link and then scroll all the way down to the bottom, where it appears rather like an afterthought.

What would be much better (and I do realise that Kernow may have other marketing priorities) would be if the class 74 could have its own page, as already suggested, and have a link to it from that feature box at the top of the home page, as well as referenced from the limited editions page. 

Wording such as "Following on from the success of the DJM Class 71....."! would be good.

I think it would also be a good idea to make it clear in the blurb about the Class 74 that it was an electro-diesel, so totally realistic to run it without a 3rd rail. Some might have not bought a Class 71 because it doesn't look right without a 3rd rail present, so they might order a class 74 if they realise it didn't always need one, when the diesel engine wasn't on fire...  (no, no! don't put that last bit in!)

The magazines always seem to publish progress on new projects, so I guess an update on Class 74 progress (ie: Class 71  now delivered, Class 74 now awaiting sufficient crowdfunding orders) might be of interest to the magazine editors.  The update could include a link to the Kernow website, but the class 74 page on their needs sorting out first.

Just my two-penneth!

I want this to happen as I really want a Class 74  (actually I have ordered two).

Regards,

Pete

Hi Pete,

Kernow should have their own Class 74 page up and running tomorrow as i'm doing the blurb and scanning pictures in to my laptop at the moment.

There will be some news in Rail Express Modeller in the next month followed by more blurb in the other Model railway magazines.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 6

Hi Pete,

Kernow should have their own Class 74 page up and running tomorrow as i'm doing the blurb and scanning pictures in to my laptop at the moment.

There will be some news in Rail Express Modeller in the next month followed by more blurb in the other Model railway magazines.

Cheers

Dave

Great news - good to know great minds think alike!

Hopefully they will also be able to link to it from their home page and the limited editions page, to maximise exposure.

Lets hope that 25% turns into 100% soon!

Hi Pete,

Since the class 71 came out to generally great reviews from the crowdfunders, the class 74 order book has started to improve.

The benefit of the hiatus to do the 71, had a bonus and allowed me to get 1 or 2 more works drawings so it shouldnt take too long to cad/cam........i know, famous last words. lol

Cheers

Dave

• Like 6