OO gauge class 74 electro-diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

Back in 2012, Adam was blogging about it on here:

www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/78/entry-8518-the-big-ed-part-3-glazing-and-detailing

Links to other parts of the build are on the page.

It seems the bogie sides are shorter than prototypical to accommodate the then-available Black Beetle. However, the body shell looks pretty good.

David  (no relation to DC Kits!)

Another possible route is the Silver Fox Models Class 74 resin kit. It was designed to be used on an adapted Hornby Class 86 or 87 chassis. I'm planning to try and adapt it to fit the Hornby Class 71 chassis.  I've been in e-mail contact with John Hazleton at Silver Fox about its availability and he is planning to produce some more castings to make the kit available again via the Silver Fox website. His castings include a resin one piece body, replacement bogie sideframes and under body equipment resin castings. His castings have separate buffer beam/buffer assembly, which may ease conversion

http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/

johnsilverfoxmodels@msn.com 

No connection other than a satisfied customer of Silver Fox model kits and rtr dmus

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

DC Kits Here!!

If anyone is interested in the Class 74 Bodyshell we used to do to fit onto a Class 71 chassis, please let me know on 'charlie@dckits-devideos.co.uk'

We have to get a run of 30 minimum done, so we will need 30 orders PLEASE.

I am just asking incase there is enough interest.    Charlie

Potentially 2, just need price / bogie side frames included ?

Another possible route is the Silver Fox Models Class 74 resin kit. It was designed to be used on an adapted Hornby Class 86 or 87 chassis. I'm planning to try and adapt it to fit the Hornby Class 71 chassis.  I've been in e-mail contact with John Hazleton at Silver Fox about its availability and he is planning to produce some more castings to make the kit available again via the Silver Fox website. His castings include a resin one piece body, replacement bogie sideframes and under body equipment resin castings. His castings have separate buffer beam/buffer assembly, which may ease conversion

http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/

johnsilverfoxmodels@msn.com 

No connection other than a satisfied customer of Silver Fox model kits and rtr dmus

IIRC there was some association between DC Kits and Silver Fox for this model?

IIRC there was some association between DC Kits and Silver Fox for this model?

I was told by John of Silver Fox, that his model was based on the DC Kits model, with Charlie's permission. It's likely that the bogie sideframes are different, as the two models used different chassis, DC Kits used Black Beetle motors in a brass chassis I believe, certainly their Class 71 model had that type of chassis, with whitemetal bogie sideframes. The Silver Fox model is designed around using an adapted rtr chassis, with resin cast bogie sideframes and underbody parts.

Edited by rembrow

Now there's a "prisoner's" dilemma. If we all go for one kit, there's a good chance it will go ahead; if we split, there may not be enough numbers.

I believe that Golden Arrow is also being "encouraged" to do one.

There must be enough market for two kits!

Luke

• RMweb Gold

Maybe there’s opportunity to double or nothing...

If there’s enough demand for 30 kits, is there’s someone who could assemble / professionally spray paint them too ?

I haven’t seen this body is it resin or plastic sides assembled ?

Maybe there’s opportunity to double or nothing...

If there’s enough demand for 30 kits, is there’s someone who could assemble / professionally spray paint them too ?

I haven’t seen this body is it resin or plastic sides assembled ?

My understanding of the Silver Fox intentions, from the correspondence I had with John Hazleton, is that he intends to put the model back into the Silver Fox on line catalogue and its not dependent on getting a minimum order. It was originally withdrawn when DJM advised of their intentions, now that model is deferred, he feels he can market the model again. The Silver Fox locomotive models are available in two options normally, 1) as an unpainted kit, without a running chassis, normal current price based on other models in his catalogue - £43.50 plus p&p  or 2) as a completed and painted ready to run model. The price is between £145 -£150 for a simple single bogie drive chassis or £175 for a central motor twin bogie drive chassis. John decides the type of chassis for the model. I believe for the Class 74 the chassis used will be the single drive bogie Class 86 or 87 chassis. In the past John did offer his locomotive kits with a painted body, which IIRC was about £75. This is not a current option on his website, but he may be willing to produce on special request. Silver Fox produces rtr painted models from order, they are not pre stocked.

Edited by rembrow

My understanding of the Silver Fox intentions, from the correspondence I had with John Hazleton, is that he intends to put the model back into the Silver Fox on line catalogue and its not dependent on getting a minimum order. It was originally withdrawn when DJM advised of their intentions, now that model is deferred, he feels he can market the model again. The Silver Fox locomotive models are available in two options normally, 1) as an unpainted kit, without a running chassis, normal current price based on other models in his catalogue - £43.50 plus p&p  or 2) as a completed and painted ready to run model. The price is between £145 -£150 for a simple single bogie drive chassis or £175 for a central motor twin bogie drive chassis. John decides the type of chassis for the model. I believe for the Class 74 the chassis used will be the single drive bogie Class 86 or 87 chassis. In the past John did offer his locomotive kits with a painted body, which IIRC was about £75. This is not a current option on his website, but he may be willing to produce on special request. Silver Fox produces rtr painted models from order, they are not pre stocked.

Why not have a Hornby or DJM 71 chassis? Subject to availability as spares.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had an e-mail today from John Hazleton of Silver Fox Models, to advise that he has the Class 74 kit parts now available. The price advised to me was £43.50 plus £5 post and packing in UK.

website http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/ 

e-mail - johnsilverfoxmodels@msn.com

These are not yet on the Silver Fox website so e-mail contact is probably the best course.

As I said earlier, the kit was designed for a Hornby Class 86 or 87 chassis, however I want to try using a Class 71 chassis. The only possible problem is that the body of the kit has a recess inside the lower bodysides, designed to fit the designed donor chassis, so some alteration is likely to be needed. Remember, if carving a resin cast moulding, the dust is dangerous so masks are advised.

No connection with Silver Fox models other than as a satisfied customer since 2000

Matt will likely sell body sides and etched roof panels but he cannot supply replacement bogie frames. There is a lot of difference in the bogies apparently.

Indeed there is. Southern Way Special No 14 on the 71s and 74s should help as there are side view pictures of both types of bogie.

Simon

Pretty off topic really, but many years ago I started to make a class 71 from, of all things, a Hornby Western.

52s of course have the same mk1 body side profile.

I ended up selling it on amongst other stuff, but it was surprising how decent it was starting to look, given the loco I started with.

Mischa Black did the styling for both classes, so a good choice!!

I've received my kit of parts for the Silver Fox Class 74 model and have worked for the last couple of evenings on adapting the body to fit a Hornby Class 71 chassis. I've described this with photos of the model parts in the Silver Fox thread on the Smaller Suppliers forum topic, rather than use this thread. It has worked, so a donor chassis will be sought, but painting first.

I've received my kit of parts for the Silver Fox Class 74 model and have worked for the last couple of evenings on adapting the body to fit a Hornby Class 71 chassis. I've described this with photos of the model parts in the Silver Fox thread on the Smaller Suppliers forum topic, rather than use this thread. It has worked, so a donor chassis will be sought, but painting first.

Link to the thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96682-silver-fox-models/&do=findComment&comment=3247216

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Now that looks really nice.....just a shame that there was a lack of support for offering from Dave , as would then he would have a model no one was producing and might have avoided some of the predicament he appears to be in now.

• Agree 2

That does look good miles73128 ! I do wonder why DJM did not make 74 from the outset rather than a 71, given that the 74 could legitimately run on non-electrified lines, and had (I would have thought) just as great an area of operation, if not greater, than the 71.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, caradoc said:

I do wonder why DJM did not make 74 from the outset rather than a 71, given that the 74 could legitimately run on non-electrified lines, and had (I would have thought) just as great an area of operation, if not greater, than the 71.

71 was at least fairly successful as a class. Only reductions in traffic volume resulted in it being under-utilised, so providing donors for the 74, which by contrast really didn’t perform at all reliably. Since 73s were such a success, a  Big EDL sounded a really good idea, for the reasons you have identified, but the 74 was an embarrassment, and again the traffic was fast slipping away anyway. Modellers generally like to have models of successful and charismatic locos - vide the eternally buoyant sales of pacifics, despite few of us having the space to stretch their legs  - and the 74 was thus a niche product, as confirmed by the lack of orders at a time when DJM was still regarded as a good bet. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/05/2019 at 11:55, Oldddudders said:

71 was at least fairly successful as a class. Only reductions in traffic volume resulted in it being under-utilised, so providing donors for the 74, which by contrast really didn’t perform at all reliably. Since 73s were such a success, a  Big EDL sounded a really good idea, for the reasons you have identified, but the 74 was an embarrassment, and again the traffic was fast slipping away anyway. Modellers generally like to have models of successful and charismatic locos - vide the eternally buoyant sales of pacifics, despite few of us having the space to stretch their legs  - and the 74 was thus a niche product, as confirmed by the lack of orders at a time when DJM was still regarded as a good bet. 

I always thought that the Class 74’s poor performance was largely due to Crewe making a total pigs ear of the conversion, the Paxman power unit had reliability problems and the electrical system was a mess?

• Agree 2