OO gauge class 74 electro-diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

4 hours ago, charliepetty said:

Or buy the at Aylesbury Show next weekend.   Charlie@dckits.co.uk

The Mystery Package - available from DC Kits at a Yorkshire Special price. Contents are secret but cures wooden legs. No model railway should be without one. All purchases made under the Official Secrets Act

Edited by Ravenser
  • Funny 3

23 hours ago, 4630 said:

This new book published by Pen & Sword has several photos of class 74s, including a couple that are side on shots and would probably be good for your needs.  Unfortunately though both photos are of the same side, the one without the large bodyside grills.  A good starting point, I hope nonetheless.

1981830920_SouthernRegionElectroDieselLocomotivesUnits-RMweb.jpg.c8b39f2c85d41e94354655231d6d76db.jpg  

ISBN 978 1 52672 061 0

One very slight word of caution about this book, if from the title prospective buyers are expecting it to include electric units, it doesn't.  The 'Units' in the title refers to the various BR(S) DEMUs.  My copy only arrived this week so I've not yet had a chance to have a thorough look through, but it does look promising.

As far as GA drawings are concerned, British Rail Main-Line Diesels (ISBN 0 7110 0617 2), published by Ian Allan and long out of print, but probably available secondhand, is a good starting point.  All the drawings in this book are to 4mm:1ft scale.  The drawings of class 74 are on pages 62 and 63.

HTH

The loco in the photo looks to be 73102. But not sure about the wagons behind her. Are they PCA V-tanks?

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, stovepipe said:

I think the Author of this book is on RM Web - perhaps he could say whether there are any side on photographs within?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Southern-Way-Special-Class-Locomotives/dp/1909328685

I have that book, and sadly not. I must say, it is a very good book. 

Roy

On 15/05/2019 at 21:58, Mike Storey said:

But similarly, Bachmann, despite their superb foray into EMU's to date, have delayed and delayed the one unifying EMU for the suburban terminus modeller and more rural Kent, Sussex or elsewhere layouts, the 2 HAP. But they do seem to be going ahead with it, maybe next year.

Unless my eyes deceived me, there was an engineering prototype of one of the 2-HAP cars in the display cabinet at Kidderminster this weekend. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

Unless my eyes deceived me, there was an engineering prototype of one of the 2-HAP cars in the display cabinet at Kidderminster this weekend. 

That is very good news - thanks! Although I seem to recall they had a version of it on display some months back, but the delivery date kept slipping nonetheless, into 2020. But let's hope the model you saw was a further development. :imsohappy:

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

That is very good news - thanks! Although I seem to recall they had a version of it on display some months back, but the delivery date kept slipping nonetheless, into 2020. But let's hope the model you saw was a further development. :imsohappy:

It was on show at Kernow’s Guildford shop opening. Look very nice. 

Roy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/05/2019 at 10:58, Roy Langridge said:

To help me, does anybody know of any good side-on views of 74s and/or accurate general assembly drawings? I have done quite a bit of searching but have never found a good side on view, photos always seem to be at an angle which, whilst not ideal, may have to suffice.

If I remember correctly (and that's a pretty big if), there's a good side on shot of a 74 at Clapham Junction in one of Michael Welch's Southern based albums from Capital.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Modern Locomotives Illustrated #198 dedicated to the electro diesels has a decent section for the 74s, with drawings (Graham Fenn) and some good photos - but none are side-on.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, JSpencer said:

The loco in the photo looks to be 73102. But not sure about the wagons behind her. Are they PCA V-tanks?

Yes, caption says 73102 but is silent on the type of wagons.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Several good side on and useful three-quarter photos in The Power of the Electro Diesels, by Colin Marsden, published in 1980 by Oxford Publishing.

ISBN 86093 065 3

23 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Possibly the Rugby Cement STS tanks, produced as a recent model. There was a regular Halling (Kent)-Southampton area working of them with a 73.

See: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138342-accurascale-and-realtrack-team-up-to-release-pca-cement-wagon-in-4mm-and-2mm/&tab=comments#comment-3329158

4 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Possibly the Rugby Cement STS tanks, produced as a recent model. There was a regular Halling (Kent)-Southampton area working of them with a 73.

See: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/138342-accurascale-and-realtrack-team-up-to-release-pca-cement-wagon-in-4mm-and-2mm/&tab=comments#comment-3329158

The train in the photograph is 6Y80, the 09:46 Bevois Park (Southampton Up yard) - Halling empty Rugby Cement train climbing the incline up to Battledown Flyover. It was taken from the foot crossing; with St John's Road bridge, East Oakley in the background. The load would usually be the 15 PC017C cement tanks built by Fauvet Girel in 1985 and now produced (all 15 of them) in 00 by Accurascale. However it looks like there may be a "straight barreled" PCA (diagram PC010A) on the rear, which was not unusual as there were no maintenance spares in the "French" fleet. The train was a regular turn for a 73, though 33s were not unknown.

Edited by apollo 079
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/05/2019 at 09:57, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Pictures please!

I don't know why I like 74s, I only ever saw two, parked up at Newport awaiting entry to Cashmores, from a passing train.  They obviously made an impact on me!

Hi

Sorry for the delay, but it took me 10 days to complete the 74. Thanks to Miles73128 and his model photos for spurring me on. Here's a couple of photos of E6103. The first show the chassis adaptions to the Hornby 71 chassis and the adaptions to the Silver Fox 74 body casting, so it fits the Hornby chassis. The longest job was making the 8 cable pockets for the cab fronts, each with a hidden plastic rod so it could be secured into place through the cab front.

P1050461.JPG

P1050465.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Great work.  They have a rather unfortunate countenance, these locos, don't you think.  Sad and forlorn, rather like a tube-train that never sees daylight!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• AY Mod locked this topic