OO gauge class 74 electro-diesel locomotive

DJM Dave

Dave has just announced, on the 71 thread, that the crowd-funding offer for both the 71 and the 74 ends this Sunday 10th July, at midnight. After that, it will be full RRP for any more orders or sales. He does not state an expected delivery date though, or final order numbers for either the 71 or the 74.

Thanks for that Mike, most kind of you to tell me,  i'm going to order another 74 tomorrow but not sure which one yet ?

I might stretch an extra tenner and get 74010 :locomotive:

Fingers crossed that both of them arrive before xmas day :good:

• Like 1

Dave - you are obviously monitoring this thread - is there anything more you can tell us about the Class 74? Production date estimate to nearest year? I am thinking of placing an order for a second one given the qualities described for the 71 and the involvement of Charlie on sound (which presumably means Paul C, and his magic, a la Class 24 mobile phone speakers and real drive sensation), but, as with many others, I can't justify to the domestic chancellor tying up another 100 plus sovs for an undefined period.

Dave - you are obviously monitoring this thread - is there anything more you can tell us about the Class 74? Production date estimate to nearest year? I am thinking of placing an order for a second one given the qualities described for the 71 and the hi mate,

involvement of Charlie on sound (which presumably means Paul C, and his magic, a la Class 24 mobile phone speakers and real drive sensation), but, as with many others, I can't justify to the domestic chancellor tying up another 100 plus sovs for an undefined period.

Hi mate. Nothing to tell you resply as yet. The 74 isn't setting the world alight sales wise, but what I might do to push it along is offer to stockists alternate numbered ones so they can pick up any financial shortfall that might occur.

I say 'might' as things this last week have picked up somewhat.

Design work has started but as there doesn't seem to be plans available for the loco it might have a longer gestation period despite using the basic 71 body.

As for speakers? Nah, much beefier speakers than that. It will have a huge base reflex speaker space available for it, thanks to Charlie and Leggoman.

I'll know more in a months or 3 once the 71 has been sent out to customers, and the probably surge in orders through people seeing the quality of the product.

I monitor all the threads, I just can't answer them all quickly as I have a 'day job' ;-) lol

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As well as the above from Dave I'd suggest orders might pick up a little once the quality of the "matching" 4TC is seen in the flesh.   That should be out at much the same time as the 74.  

• Like 1

Ordered 74 010 today :imsohappy:  ...........only one small problem i can foresee, how in hell's bell's name do i expain two Class 74's arriving on the doorstep to the 'boss' ? :scratchhead: (she only know's about one 74 i bought, the other one she doesn't know about, she might have a mental fit if she finds out)

I need to think of a good excuse or i'll be in the dark brown smelly stuff otherwise and i certainly don't wish to wake up in the morning with my gentleman's vegetables floating in a glass of water next to my bedside !!! :O

Edited by 71H

• RMweb Premium

how in hell's bell's name do i expain two Class 74's arriving on the doorstep to the 'boss' ? :scratchhead:

You have a double track layout?  You need two - one to go in each direction ;)

• Like 2

Ordered 74 010 today :imsohappy:  ...........only one small problem i can foresee, how in hell's bell's name do i expain two Class 74's arriving on the doorstep to the 'boss' ? :scratchhead: (she only know's about one 74 i bought, the other one she doesn't know about, she might have a mental fit if she finds out)

If you don't fancy :punish: you need to search the net to find examples of Class 74's working double headed or top & tail!   lol :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

Well I've ordered 74010 today too.

Wishing DJModels and this project every success!

Should go very nicely with my 4TC  :sungum:

Edited by Pedro32

• RMweb Premium

I need to think of a good excuse or i'll be in the dark brown smelly stuff otherwise and i certainly don't wish to wake up in the morning with my gentleman's vegetables floating in a glass of water next to my bedside !!! :O

Get them sent seperatly several days apart, then you can say you sent the first one back, the second parcel is its replacement.

• Like 2

Get them sent seperatly several days apart, then you can say you sent the first one back, the second parcel is its replacement.

That Colin, that is a jolly good idea..............i better ring Kernow and hopefully they can help me out  ?   :help:  

I can hide 'other' in amoungst other loco's i have ! :secret:

Try a "business trip"/detox health spa/retreat to a place of holy orders/fishing trip to Cornwall/acting lessons with RSC.........

Like your thinking Mr Hargrave, i'll think of something if she does ever find out, i really don't want to look like a Panda bear with a couple of black eyes....... thank you :thankyou:

The other ruse is to explain, when you get a query about the size of the delivered box, that the supplier is very good and uses a lot of packing. I then remove one loco to show my other half, and take the other out, still in the box, to the garage, for 'recycling' ,to be retrieved later. I've been successful with that one - oh the lies we weave.

• Like 1

Oh h**l - I've got a double track plus goods loop, 4 sidings and a 3 road stabling point - how many 74's will I need?

Lots an' lots!

How about the whole class?

Tell her to BOGOF! She will understand and like that......

• Like 1

I've just ordered a DJM  74 to go with the 71 I already have on order and expect some time soonish.

Before my halo slips down and strangles me, I can report, with my own money and without my wife's permission!  :angel:

I've oredered 74010. The missus said I should shut up and just order the weathered version as I would regret it later if I hadn't!

So being under the thumb and all, I did what she said!

Cheers Trailrage

• RMweb Premium

It's such a trial, being under the thumb! ;)

That must be the pressure I'm feeling to invest in a second 4TC.  Thumb pressure ;)

Just holding off to see what sort of dividend our recent end-of-financial-year might bring before ordering.  Still wondering where on Earth to run 8TC with a 33 or 74 doing the shoving.   

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

That must be the pressure I'm feeling to invest in a second 4TC.  Thumb pressure ;)

Just holding off to see what sort of dividend our recent end-of-financial-year might bring before ordering.  Still wondering where on Earth to run 8TC with a 33 or 74 doing the shoving.   

Around 1968/69 the 17:44 Waterloo to Bournemouth was an 8TC with a 74. Originally propelling then later pulling.

Simon