Buried locomotives

Mr Brunel

Details as ever are tolerably vague but there's a Tyneside Electric carriage buried outside the east end of the depot here at South Gosforth; not because it was remarkably contaminated in itself but because it was stuffed full of the asbestos stripped from the other carriages when they were broken up.

Hi,

I recall that one (or even two) industrial locos were buried near Broxbourne Mid Lothian. It/they worked on an oil extracting contract where shale was mined for its high oil content (was the plant at Uphall?), this resulted in large slag heaps called Bings locally and sometime around the 1920s the loco(s) were buried in a landslip.

Can this distant memory of mine be correct?

Cheers Tony

27 043 Paterson's Tip, Mount Vernon

And it had a DMU and railbus for company, as described in the Class 116 section on www.railcar.co.uk :

Scottish allocated unit 116391 consisting of cars SC53836/SC59347/SC53889 was, along with the grounded body of Park Royal railbus SC79971, buried in Paterson’s Tip, Mount Vernon in July 1984.

The railbus body had been in use as a bothy at Millerhill.

And it had a DMU and railbus for company, as described in the Class 116 section on www.railcar.co.uk :

Scottish allocated unit 116391 consisting of cars SC53836/SC59347/SC53889 was, along with the grounded body of Park Royal railbus SC79971, buried in Paterson’s Tip, Mount Vernon in July 1984.

The railbus body had been in use as a bothy at Millerhill.

And here it is in photos (before interrment):

http://www.brindale....uses_images.htm

Adam

• 1 year later...

Quite an interesting subject, I've been reading about the stanier 8fs that rest on the sea bed. I know there's the two front ends in the red sea from the ss thistlegorm, I also hear there are four in the Bristol channel where they were thrown overboard to stop the ship from sinking, but the tenders wherenot and these returned to port. I guess those four would be hard to find as the ship didn't sink and they were proabley thrown off with no location recordered. It's a shame most of these wrecks are so deep that the can't be explored. There would be some interesting pictures. Also like the boat that was carrying 17 French 141rs from America to France that went down 17 complete engines still sat on a deck down there. Be nice to see some pictures. As to go with the original topic, I've heard that the d1 was never recovered from the big hole so I guess that's still there, and as for the fowler tank I've heard it's buried and also heard maybe cut up on site. Who knows? But it would be nice to find out, also while were at it can we drain the sea :D

The Cravens DMU involved in the crash at Lockington level crossing is buried in a tip at Willerby East Yorkshire.

There was some old GNR locos buried at Doncaster works, these were for earthing purpose when then new fangled electricity was put in.

Al Taylor

Love the idea of loco's being "thrown overboard"!

Ed

When GWR King "King George the V" was returning to the UK it was on a smallish ship and in very rough seas they did consider cutting the ropes and letting it go overboard because they feared the ship was going to capsize. Fortunately the storm abated and they made it home safely.

In the Turks & Caicos Islands, scuba divers have lately found and photographed various wheel and axle pairs, near the

terminal of the old, latterly donkey operated, narrow guage line on West Caicos They concluded that they were from the old wagons (used for converying sisal plants) But one of the wheel pairs has cranks on, so just maybe..... Line built or at least assembled originally by local contractors Frith and Murphy.

• 5 months later...

When i was a fireman at cricklewood loco ,The film , the password is courage was filmed there in no 2 shed where the axle was cut , and the wagons where they changed the destination labels was outside the wagon repair shops , as for the engine and wagons at scratchwood , they crashed the engine and some wagons on the first day of filming , and on the second day me and my driver had to go light engine with 48307 to scratchwood , where we kept pushing all the wagons onto the derailed train ,there was quite a mess there , i cant be sure but i think everything was cut up after filming , i would like to think i am wrong.

• 8 months later...

There are two incidents I'm looking at, and more info would be appreicated.

Lindal Moor

A D1, no. 115 fell into a 200ft hole caused by subsidence and was buried.

I'm trying to find the site of the accident of Google earth and co-ordinates

or similiar would be nice.

South Mimms

A Fowler 4P was being used for a POW film and an accident was staged.

It went off an embankment and was left there, somewhere under

where South Mimms Services is now. I'd like to know which film this was.

Not sure if you are still interested, and you may have already seen this article; http://www.railwaymagazine.co.uk/Current-Issue/

I noticed it when looking through the May issue whilst waiting for SWMBO who was looking at clothes.

HTH

Tony

Archived