Roy Brook

simontk

Should we remember him?

Who was he? what did he do that we may remember him for?

Never knew him myself, but I certainly know of him,his photographic archive (with some fantastic content) passed to I, believe the Leeds Transport Historical society, I also know where some off his models are having been passed on in his will after his death, I may possibly be viewing some in the near future, if I do I will see is it's possible to get some photographs.

Paul, you will have undoubtedly seen some of his photos in several books, I'm possibly at an advantage over you here as he was a native of and long standing resident of Huddersfield and did a number of books on the Trams and Trolleybuses of Huddersfield, I think.

Trams and Trolley Buses of Huddersfield, you are quite right.

We gave a lot of his "Memories" to Crich, www.tramway.co.uk .

He used to be an Authority on all things Trams.

I still have 3 of his, very well made and authentic, OO gauge models. Including a most beautiful Huddersfield open toper, with an 11 pole motor.  

post-27314-0-29744000-1444180193_thumb.jpg

post-27314-0-26299800-1444180268_thumb.jpg

post-27314-0-26980900-1444180341_thumb.jpg

post-27314-0-04917000-1444180397_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The Leeds Transport Historical Society (LTHS) did get some of his collection and also have the remaining new stock of the Tramways of Huddersfield which is available from me at £5 a copy.   His slides and photos were not sorted and catalogued when he died but Jim Soper an LTHS member has sorted most of them and they have been dispersed to a variety of places in accordance with his will.  The LTHS have some of his tram and trolleybus slides and copies are available.  

Jamie

Thank you, it is good to know that he has not just been forgotten.

When we moved from Huddersfield, I was 4.

And every month he would come and stay.

He played a big part in mine and my 2 brothers life.

And I know he will be looking down thinking, "I'm really pleased my god son is making a Tram layout".

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see some of his cars have survived. I was privileged to have repaired a couple of his Blackpool ones that he'd let Eddie Newton have. Sadly they appeared on ebay a while back from a dealer along with all Eddie's trams so I'd imagine they are both running some celestial model tramway.

• 2 weeks later...

Simon, I was very pleased you opened this thread as you see from the responses Roy is still greatly remembered.  

In the 1980's I had help from your Godfather.   I already knew of him through the first edition of his Huddersfield book.   Because he had also researched Halifax, I found that he was interested in the exploits of the 'father and son 'tramway managers' in the Spencer family, so I wrote to him.   I was then researching for Cyril Smeeton on London's Felthams and Type E single deckers - Cyril produced the two volumes on the Metropolitan Electric Tramways (of London).   Roy was able to provide help on the single deckers' oil brakes but in respect of the Felthams and my need to then contact C J Spencer, he was alas unable to make the contact.   In the process he enlightened me further on the data that I already had from Eric Thornton on the high-speed Halifax single deckers.   He was very cordial and someone whose knowledge is greatly missed.   Recently I discovered I still had some of the correspondence with him and I hope that it was included in the bag of 'tramway history' items that are on their way into the T&LRS archives.   Colin LW.

Archived