DCC points controller

rogiefalls

I am in the process of changing over to DCC from DC.  The present (and future) layout has 22 points which are fitted with Hornby R8014 motors and are working on DC, I also use a Cobalt CDU2+ which gives me great points operation I guess it would be easy to keep them as operating on DC but I would like to change over to DCC and intend to use DCC Concepts ADS-2 accessory decoders to “clean” the wiring circuit up.

I will be making a wall mount layout board that will show me point position via red/green lights but it seems obvious that there is no way I could operate, say four loco’s and work the points from a normal controller.

Does anyone know of a separate DCC Accessory/Points Controller that would be easy to use on the above system. I have looked at MegaPoints Controllers and they look as though they would do the job but I thought I would ask the question before going ahead.

Any help would be gratefully received.

• RMweb Gold

Or the NCE mini panel which will accept switch input and you program it to give the desired output.

You do need an NCE system to be able to program the Mini Panel though.

Basically an NCE version of the Lenz system DM mentioned above.

Or you could build the MERG encoder which I think will work.

The real benefit of combined dcc Points-accessory and loco operation comes with a controller (handset) which combines the 2 and also conveys useful information. Expressnet® allows this..  OR with modern large screen displays of track formation / signals....

The Roco Multimaus is both an economical dcc controller/sysytem package-  including both naming of locos and a graphic for point prosition - especially when bought 'broken from sets', or as part of a Digital Start Set (the latter if you have a use for continental stock in H0 or 00 or TT)    It is a comfortable handset with centre-off knob syle speed control, and toggles its numeric keypad between Loco functon selection and Accessory Selection: the knob remaining as a loco controller whilst the remainder is swapped over to accessory control/selection.   1 or more such handsets can provide very flexible control around your layout.  65-90GBP when 'broken from sets'  or 150 for each part if bought separately !!!

Roco used to offer a numeric pad which operated only accessories, and then its later version which included ROUTE control as well .. but both are probably hard to find now  as they really predated the Multimaus which offer the accessory control 

If you are a MERG member then they have kits for a 'steady-state decoder' or CAN-bus derived kits which can be used to show the last commanded position of all your points ( 4 or 8 per module )

however it has NO MEMORY and so cannot retain the state over a short circuit/track power loss. I used to have a (Zero-1) Micromic panel 2m long ...which became redundant on a layout rebuild, and replaced by a 'glass tube' flat panel TV to display the track - about half the size of the micromimic 8-)... but available on multiple displays, and able to show the point and signal settings (with or without feedback)  A touch screen can then be used as an alternative method of sleection - and we find this very useful at exhibitions !

Apart from the MegaPoints Controllers, there are now a few other switch/route controllers for use with a homemade (or custom built) control or mimic panel.

Even a mini lever frame can be used with some of these modules.

The beauty of these devices, is that there is only one cable connection from the panel to the layout, via the DCC system"s cab/throttle bus.

Your choice of options will depend on your brand of DCC system.

Up to now, these modules have tended to be designed to work with only one brand of DCC system, or a system using a shared cab bus (e.g. Lenz/Roco or Digitrax/Uhlenbrock etc,).

For example, the NCE Mini Panel, which can only be used on a NCE system, or the CML DTM30 which is designed for LocoNet based systems.

However, DCC Concepts are launching their Cobalt Alpha modules, which will work with almost any DCC system, either directly, or with an additional interface for specific brands of DCC.

Most of these products provide the flexibility to have switches, buttons and LED's on a control panel, ........or switches, buttons of mini point levers on a separate panel or lever frame, with a separate mimic indicator board positioned elsewhere.

The Cobalt Alpha can also be used to convert an existing stud & probe panel to DCC.

http://www.dccconcepts.com/resources/PDFs/010-Product-Related/010-Cobalt%20Products/M-Owners-Manual-Cobalt-Alpha-Unit-2015.pdf

http://www.dccconcepts.com/Cobalt-Range/cobalt-digital-devices/cobalt-alpha-main-unit

http://www.dccconcepts.com/Cobalt-Range/cobalt-digital-devices/cobalt-alpha-extension-display

Roco had a Switch board, effectively a controller for points only. Regrettably it's been discontinued....

DCC Concepts are shortly to be introducing a similar switch box, that should be compatible with almost any DCC system.

http://www.dccconcepts.com/Cobalt-Range/cobalt-digital-devices/cobalt-alpha-central-integrated-digital-switch-12-way

http://www.dccconcepts.com/images/Ranges/A-The-Cobalt-Collection/060-Cobalt-Digital-Devices/1190-DCD-AEC/DCD-AEC-content-w.png

• RMweb Gold

You've not said which DCC controller your going or have already got that might help as well.

As Ron has said, when choosing an accessory decoder I always make sure it can have both push button and DCC control input, It gives me the best of both worlds and leaves me with options.

As you already have the decoders might need to look at other things though

Thank-you for all your ideas. I never realised there was so much gear out there.  I must say that I am a big fan of DCC Concepts and I do like the write up for the yet to be released Cobalt Alpha CID Switch so thanks for that link. I have only just gone over to DCC and bought a set with a Hornby Select in it. This was only to see if I wanted to do the changeover.Now I have I am trying to make my mind up on which Controller to buy With the above it looks as though I can choose any of the top brands. I was using the Cobalt CDU2+ on my DC points and it made a huge difference, They do seem to make top products.

Any further ideas gratefully received and thanks again for all your help.

• RMweb Premium

If you're up for a whole new system anyway, consider the Roco Z21 (black box) or its junior sibling z21 (white box). Both can be operated via the modern (smart) phone and offer layout control in the same app as well. The main difference between the two (besides the price) is the amount of stuff you can hook up to it. On the Z21 you can pretty much connect to almost everything available on the European market, the z21 can only handle Roco R-bus and Lenz X-net stuff. The black box is available retail, the white box comes from broken up starter sets. The price difference can be up to 200 quid :O

More on: http://www.z21.eu/en

Here is the back view showing the difference in connexions:

http://www.z21.eu/en/FAQ-Support/FAQ

EDIT you can get a Z21 for £240

Keith

Archived