Narrow gauge track plan some thoughts please..

Nic Arthur

Hello, so having seen invercloy's plans that he posted back in October i thought that i too would have a go at designing a narrow gauge 009 layout. My design is very primative and hardly to scale. It was more of an exercise to get some ideas down and help towards my new layout that i'm hoping to create in a L-shaped layout 2ft wide and 8ft by 6ft long with an extra 8 ft for a fiddle yard and modelling bench and workshop.

I'd really appreciate some feedback and ideas perhaps even some editing. The only three things you can be sure i'd like to keep are the water / dock area the station west of that area and the lighthouse on the rock that is symbolized by a black dot with a yellow dot inside. I've not labelled any buildings as i've yet to really put some thought into that!

Regards and feedback is more than welcome. Nic.

Lightrock.jpg

My initia l thoughts - as always with any plan drawn "not to any scale" are along the lines of will what is drawn be possible in the space.

As so often - my gut reaction is "no"

no matter how good the plan might look or its sketch if you do not draw it to scale then the pointwork will always look "optimistic"

Your description says 8ft for that right hand side. so that bottom board with nearly all the points on it has a run of (quick count) 6 points in about 4ft ... will that really fit in 4ft? with any space left to actually place stock.

Even in OO9 it is so easy to add points to a "plan" without appreciating the space that is occupied.

My suggestion as always is to use a planning software that draws to (or close to scale) or to use a few printed templates on the floor.

A little bit of effort put in at that stage will reap rewards when it comes to appreciating the real space available for a layout.

Nothing wrong with the concept though, I just cannot see it working in that space.

I find it difficult to work out what size it's meant to be. If we assume it's 2 ft wide it looks as if we have 3 + 3 + 2 = 8 across the top and 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 = 9 down the side which does not agree with 8 x 6 in the description.

I also think you've tried to get far to much in, but I don't know what sort of OO9 line you are planning, it could be a purely industrial line with very short trains. It's also lacking a run-round loop at the bottom end apart from a short useless one in the station approach.

Firstly you need to what length of train you want to run. the add a couple of inches, this gives you the length you need for each passing or run-round loop and ideally for each siding. Then for each point allow 5 in in OO9 and dont forget you need to allow a loco length plus a bit of working room after each run-round. Now you need to start working out what length you need to fit in what you planed.

Tom

• RMweb Gold

Have you thought of looking at a real harbour trackplan? and going from there. The shape of the space you have would lend itself well to the Campbeltown terminus of the Cambeltown and Macrihanish railway- this had a pier line which went out onto the quay and then a passenger terminus on the harbour at the landward side. Each leg had its own runround and fairly simple siding arrangements, less can be more in terms of operation as you think more about how things need to be done to avoid getting in your own way?

- of course even if you didnt like the C&M stock you could use the trackplan as a base and make your own adaptations to it?

Thief! ;) It's ok, i'm not using that plan any more, i've come up with something a little different now, but based around the same plan in a different shape.

From looking at it i'm wondering what the radius of the bend in the top right hand corner on the main line is, it looks rather sharp. You ought to aim for at least 12" radius if possible, if not 18" +.

What is the purpose of the sidings at the front of the left hand end board?

There is also no run round loop in the main station, whilst my plan doesn't have one at the platforms it does have one in the nearby yard which can be used instead. Surely you will need a loop of some form?

I'd be inclined to add a headshunt onto the yard on the right hand side of the platforms so that you could shunt that area without the main line being occupied.

Also, where is it set, what period? I think you really should give some thought to the usage of the buildings as that will help define what may be needed to be provided by the railway nearby.

Archived