Merchant Navy from Hornby

Thank for replies why I need 4 front bogies is they have mazak corrision and have snapped in half or crumbling into pieces, I would be interested how many and what models and age are affected,awaiting reply from Hornby to give me a date for spares to come from China and pull there finger out so I can repair them for the owners

Sorry, can't help with this one but am really intrigued as to WHY you need 4 MN front bogies.  The dog been eating the originals - or do your MN's keep plummeting into the turntable pit?

No dog but front bogies have mazak corrision and have crumbled into pieces

Thanks - as in my post #2. That's why it's always a good idea to print off a copy of the service sheet when you buy a Hornby, or Bachmann loco if one doesn't come with the purchase.

http://www.Hornby.com/us-en/downloads/view/download/item/39

My main problem with Hornby Bulleid pacifics seems to be what they refer to as the 'chassis bottom assembly', namely the bottom plate with the brake blocks on, over time it becomes distorted resulting in poor current pick-up. I've had to replace quite a few for others who have had trouble with them.  

Hi Steve if you can check bogies to see if yours are mazak corrision free and email me with price Regards David

Hmmm, interesting....

Well, the 'spare' is perfect, so my offer to you stands, but I decided to check some of the others in my collection...

As someone suggested the West Country / Battle of Britain front bogie appears to be identical to the Merchant Navy one.

I've got about a dozen MN / WC / BoB all told, and although not disintigrated I have found one casting that can be described as rough - perhaps this is a precursor to it's eventual demise but only time will tell. Happy to say the beautiful 'Fighter Command' in photographic grey is amongst the survivors.

Tempting fate to say this but so far I have ( had? ) been untouched by the 'Mazak' time bomb, despite having a few of the usual suspects.

No doubt the wise decision to move production to China and have manufacturing carried out by sub-contractors will eventually bite all our a***s. Another thread I read today was talking about the shoddy soldering so often encountered - not a big deal for me given my electrical / electronics background, but failing castings is another kettle o' fish...

SO I guess the MN / BoB/ WC is to be added to the Mazak Alert list - and if there isn't one already should we create a seperate thread ?

Sorry, can't help with this one but am really intrigued as to WHY you need 4 MN front bogies.  The dog been eating the originals - or do your MN's keep plummeting into the turntable pit?

This thread I started here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80898-southern-pacifics-mazak-problem/ will give you an insight into why. :)

Hornby Merchant Navy Bob and WC front bogies.I have just received a email from Hornby saying front bogies for locos are being modified and when ready will be shipped to UK. As my good friend Geoff said maybe being modified to plastic,Don't know when my replacement bogies will come so I won't hold my breath.

Archived