Bypassing Templot Updates

LooseHead

Drat! Having finally got Templot to run (after a fashion) on my iMac, I'd drawn out and printed off a simple test-track, but when El Capitan came along to replace Yosemite I fully expected to lose it (especially after finding the upgrade had wiped out all our e-mail accounts - thank goodness for Time Machine). But even though El Capitan had yapped a native Apple program, it seems it had left Templot alone, because it was still happy to start up (after the tedious 11-step install-every-time process that seems to be the best Wine can manage). So I took that as encouragement to begin work on roughing out my next 'real' layout - until this morning, when the Templot latest update came out! Now my old version happily tells me its not up-to-date, and quits. Naturally I didn't manage to document the 6-month-long process to get as far as the old one limping along on the Mac, and a few quick tries to download the latest version have shown its going to be a long, hard road again, so my question to all the illuminati out there is, does anyone know of a way to 'defeat' Templot's self-destruct mode and continue running a version that isn't the latest? Please, please, please tell me it's possible ...

Better to have a word on the Templot club forums. I updated my Templot today on Windows 7. I did get a warning about the software was not digitally signed but after a few minutes got pass that and downloaded.

Keith HC

Thanks for that, guys, I haven't bothered with the Templot forum because my access to the program has been so intermittent - and Martin's stock response is "I haven't got a Mac, but people (who?) run it happily with Crossover'. Since Crossover has no more functionality than Wine/Winebottler, and costs €50, and comes with built-in malware, I haven't found that very helpful - hence today's question here.

• RMweb Gold
Thanks for that, guys, I haven't bothered with the Templot forum because my access to the program has been so intermittent - and Martin's stock response is "I haven't got a Mac, but people (who?) run it happily with Crossover'. Since Crossover has no more functionality than Wine/Winebottler, and costs €50, and comes with built-in malware, I haven't found that very helpful - hence today's question here.

I'm sorry you find my replies unhelpful. I try to be as helpful as possible, but as I know nothing about Macs there is a limit to what I can sensibly say.

I do however run Wine on Linux / Ubuntu, and on there installing Templot is a no-brainer:

1. right-click on the downloaded file.

2. click open with > Wine Windows Program Loader menu item.

3. the normal Windows installer runs, and

4. five seconds later you are running Templot.

In fact the whole thing is faster than on Windows.

I don't know why Wine on a Mac would be any different? Are you sure you have the latest version of Wine? Many Templot users do use CrossOver to install Wine on a Mac for Templot, you can contact them via the Templot Club forum.

does anyone know of a way to 'defeat' Templot's self-destruct mode and continue running a version that isn't the latest?

Templot is free to use. A condition of such use is that you use only the latest version. Attempting to defeat that is not within the spirit of the terms of use:

http://templot.com/companion/index.html?terms_of_use.htm

Martin.

Thanks Martin. I'll take that as a 'No' to my original question then. I wasn't, incidentally, implying that you hadn't tried to be helpful, simply that your answers hadn't taken me very far forward - bit like now. Firstly, I'm running Winebottler 1.7.37, development version for Yosemite. The latest stable version, 1.6.1, only runs with Mavericks. There isn't a version for El Capitan yet. Now, what's this 'right-click' business? A single tap on the touchpad with the curser over the download brings up a prompt that I've asked to open a Wine file, and allows me to either run it directly in a directory of my choice or create an App bundle to run like a native Apple App. Neither took me very far initially - run directly came back with a 'prefix missing' message. and creating the bundle failed with a two-page error report. Examining the latter suggested a need to update my fonts to Freetype version 2.0.5 or later, and an absence of some X11 dylib files. I updated Freetype but I don't like playing around with dylibs unless I know exactly what they do or don't do, even within X11 where they're going to be limited to display issues. So I fudged a few other bits - sorry, forgot to document again! - with the upshot that I still can't create the App bundle, but I can run the download directly (with all the install prompt nonsense that I had before). So all I'm down on is a logo to click to start the process, but I've cleaned up my download directory so I should be able to aim Wine at v212a for a while (it's helpfully just above The JargonFile Master in my present folder layout, so easy to spot from a distance). Now I just need to sort out how to point your fileselector at my previous boxfiles (assuming they have not all been wiped by this process) and print out some hard copies of my trackplanning efforts before it all falls over itself again.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry, none of that Apple jargon means anything to me. Can you try searching for the Wine file "Windows Program Loader"?

It can't be too difficult, because lots of Templot users run Templot on a Mac, using Wine via CrossOver or Winebottler.

Alternatively, I believe it is possible to dual-boot a Mac into Linux? On most Linux distributions e.g. Ubuntu, installing Wine is one click.

regards,

Martin.

Oh dear, the untranslatable encountering the indecipherable. Guess we'll have to leave it at that, then. Looks like my previous track plans have all been wiped anyway, so I'm not in a rush to do further battle with the beast. As for partitioning my disc and installing a rival OS to El Capitan, thanks but no thanks - hate to think what he might do to the rest of my data if he spotted me attempting that!

I have just upgraded Templot to v212a on my MacBook Pro under Crossover. It works absolutely fine (as normal). I'm running Crossover v14.1.8 on El Capitan. There may be no extra 'functionality' over Winebottler but I switched to Crossover some time back because of these irritating and incomprehensible error messages under Winebottler. I moved to Mac to get away from Microsoft for much the same reason!

Dave

I'm not sure if this is of any help but I have been running Templot on my mac that is a MBP with a "Beta" of El Cap and updating to full version recently, using VirtualBox serving a Linux Mint and Wine perfectly well.

I know this may sound convoluted but has worked fine for me with latest update and for many years. All was easily installed apart from having to use command line to install Templot via wine command.

hth

Thanks chaps, at least you've assured me it can be done! I might just try the VirtualBox /Linux Mint route in due course - probably waiting until after the promised 'stabilisation' update to El Capitan - because I'm really not inclined to fork out €50 to Codeweavers for Crossover, after they ruined my day by slipping malware in with one of their 'free' offers. Don't suppose you can point me at where Templot buries its data under the Mac file structure, by any chance? I've got Time Machine backups that should still hold the layouts I'd sketched out previously, but since they're practically whole volume captures, tracking down individual files is more than a little time-consuming (as we found when we rebuilt our mail folders that El Cap had swallowed).

• RMweb Gold

Don't suppose you can point me at where Templot buries its data under the Mac file structure, by any chance?

Hi,

Templot saves its files wherever you tell it to save files. By default they are in the same location as the program file.

If you are working across multiple operating systems, it's a good idea to save them on an external drive, such as USB stick. They are then easy to find from anywhere.

regards,

Martin.

LooseHead, one way I have managed this is I use Dropbox as a backup store which makes files available to any computer that I have or use now.. I also use the Shared Folders to Mac desktop to share files from Linux VM to Mac Desktop for things like printing PDF's and exporting DXF files. 

• RMweb Premium

Better to have a word on the Templot club forums. I updated my Templot today on Windows 7. I did get a warning about the software was not digitally signed but after a few minutes got pass that and downloaded.

Keith HC

Just done mine on Win 7

No problem at all, not even a protest from Norton!

Keith

Thanks again. Yes, of course with the glorious benefit of hindsight I should have saved the files to an obvious location (not really into USB sticks, after years of being forbidden to touch them because of the security implications, but I could have written to CD). Being a typical lazy user I didn't, and just accepted the default settings. It looks like the path is something like 'username>documents>my new wine prefix>drive c>TEMPLOT_DEV>BOX-FILES', so I just have to dive into Time Machine and see if I can track down a version from Monday. Too late to try tonight and busy tomorrow so I'll give it a go on Friday!

• RMweb Gold

Email received just now from CodeWeavers:

----------------

Get 40% off CrossOver. 2 Days Only!

Enter Deal Code: LAUNCH40

at: https://www.codeweavers.com/store/

----------------

No connection, just forwarding the email.

p.s. click the more options link to get a cheaper price with limited support.

Martin.

I'm amused that the "Macs never crash" mantra seems, how can I put it...?

Touching wood, my windows machines seem happy enough on 7, one on 8, kids' laptops are on 10. Not convinced that the other stuff I use will like the upgrades, so sticking with 7 until the MS machine forces me to move.

By which time, I'm optimistic that Linux might have got to a stage where I can spend more time using it than trying to make it work the way I want it to.

:)

Simon

I need help!!!! Having used Templot for a few years now on a Win 7 machine, Win 7 seems to have overwhelmed the laptop and it is so slow that everything seems to take an eternity to load, hence a move to an applemac pro with 8gb memory.

I've taken Martin's suggestions and loaded Winebottler, but now can't find out how to open Templot from it. Also, someone said right click, how does one right click from an Apple machine? It's all new to me. I also downloaded Codeweavers but like others, am loath to pay about £50 for it.

• RMweb Gold

I also downloaded Codeweavers but like others, am loath to pay about £50 for it.

Hi Roy,

It is a lot less than £50. Click on more options and you will see that you can get it for £25, see:

post-1103-0-02502900-1445086979.png

Furthermore they often have special offer days with typically 40% off that. Unfortunately you have just missed the last one.

But if you go for the free trial period, you may find that there is another one before your free trial runs out. :)

Martin (no connection with CodeWeavers).

Also, someone said right click, how does one right click from an Apple machine? It's all new to me. I also downloaded Codeweavers but like others, am loath to pay about £50 for it.

Press and hold the 'control (ctrl)' key or

Laptops can actually right click only using the trackpad. By tapping something using two fingers, your Mac can register this as a right click!

To enable this feature, open System Preferences. You can access it from the Apple menu at the top left corner of the screen. When System Preferences has launched, click the “Trackpad" icon.

This preference pane has a couple of options. Click the second one, saying “Secondary click". Check the box next to that text and you are done!

Hth

Thanks, that's useful.

I tried the Crossover Mac and they don't take debit cards, only paypal and credit cards and I have neither! Not to worry, Wine downloaded and has almost loaded Templot, but now won't close because I get the following error message:

Cannot create file c:\templot_DEV\boxmru.txt

Anyone got any ideas what to do next? otherwise Templot seems to work from Wine. Thanks for all the help so far.

• RMweb Gold

I get the following error message:

Cannot create file c:\templot_DEV\boxmru.txt

Hi Roy,

Click to save your templates. Go up one level and you will find that file. Delete it.

It has probably been left open from your earlier attempts with Wine.

regards,

Martin.

I just right click the mouse on my Apple desktop as you would on a Windows machine.  Works fine...

http://www.apple.com/shop/question/answers/product/MB112LL/B/how-do-you-right-click-on-this-mouse/Q4PF992UHDD2PCA7P

Seems like I'll have to buy a mouse then! Apparently using the touch pad, touching with 2 fingers is a right click. Thanks for your help.

Archived