C69 stock on the Central Line

roythebus

Yes, it really did happen; when the C69 stock was new, it was delivered by BR to West Ruislip Depot, then via East Acton, reverse, then to Ealing Broadway, reverse onto the District to Acton works where it was tested on the Acton Town-Northfields test track.

I happened to be at Ealing Broadway one day working as a guard on the District and had the camera handy when this unit turned up, possibly the first delivered judging by the numbers.

post-1654-0-24945200-1444252110_thumb.jpg

post-1654-0-93751300-1444252156.jpg

Yes, it really did happen; when the C69 stock was new, it was delivered by BR to West Ruislip Depot, then via East Acton, reverse, then to Ealing Broadway, reverse onto the District to Acton works where it was tested on the Acton Town-Northfields test track.

Great picture Roy, you certainly were on the ball with this one! Just one small detail about the journey, I think you meant North Acton rather than East.

• RMweb Premium

That goes back a few years!  I remember spending as many of my youthful days as parents and circumstances allowed chasing the final days of CO/CP stock around the Circle / Metropolitan (as it then was) lines and down to Wimbledon on the District's Edgware Road service.  All were to succumb to the then-loathed "silver" C69 stock which was also instrumental in seeing off the last of the Q-stock from the District "main line" as some CP stock was cascaded.

Absolutely no reason why C69 stock should not have been delivered via the Central Line as you say.  "Surface" stock has used that route on plenty of occasions not least when the 4TC unit has worked to and from Ruislip depot.

Some of the S-stock which more recently replaced the C-stock was also delivered to Ruislip.

The route from Ruislip via N Acton and Ealing broadway was only used for surface stock until Ruislip siding from the depot to the Met: line was opened After this, all main-line to L T and all other transfers of large-size stock (4TC  whatever-you name it ) has gone via Ruislip siding and does not touch the central line proper. I do not know if the  N Acton route is still maintained to surface gauge.

Archived