Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

It was posted with this text: 

At Warley 2018, Dapol showed us the decorated samples for all four of their highly anticipated Class 59 locomotives. These are early samples and Dapol advised that there are many amendments yet to be made, including the colours. These samples showcase the tooling variations for each subclass as well as the wealth of separate detailing parts fitted. Also shown off were the opening cab doors and rotating axleboxes.

It must be stressed, these are livery samples to check. Dapol have flagged a number of corrections to the production liveries. Additionally, as with many livery samples the factory has used non-standard to the livery tooling. Hence why you have random bits where they should not be on the prototype with this livery. Dapol were at pains to stress this at Warley, I have utterly no lack of belief that theses models when delivered shall be exceptional. 

They worked coal into Drax and Ferrybridge Power Stations from the Yorkshire coal field and also limestone from Peak Forest to the same for the flue gas desulpurisation.

Yes, they were only blue for a couple of years before being sold to EWS but it’s a striking livery and they were very popular at the time. It was a very dynamic period with new operators, new fleets and new liveries coming into the network.

• Like 1

They worked coal into Drax and Ferrybridge Power Stations from the Yorkshire coal field and also limestone from Peak Forest to the same for the flue gas desulpurisation.

Yes, they were only blue for a couple of years before being sold to EWS but it’s a striking livery and they were very popular at the time. It was a very dynamic period with new operators, new fleets and new liveries coming into the network.

Thanks for the information i wasn't totally sure that i found correct information but now you have backed up what i discovered about the locomotive. 

Samuel.

The National Power 59/2 were also used on Peak Forest to Manchester Airport stone workings for the 2nd runway in 1998, by this point I think they had been bought by EWS but still in their NP livery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ingythewingy/17242835802/in/photolist-dXYxWT-252TCLg-dY5Knb-HWJuTt-f7U6Wv-dXYD86-SmY6Cb-rhBxrs-f7VxDF-dXYJdk-STesRE-chc39C-f88RJs-f7XbUg-f7TG2n-f8bqUL-kLbhbe-f7VzAZ-n4eegT-JkpXwL-uiHk51-EA8VxG-sgG3ms-GRUwMW-HRTWRn-Ed7z3p-AxKTQ3-DNSLmh-28icDkc-GpqATg-zbYHf9-HPywte-zswFZw-AA8Bts-JGQY6w-ztAKVr-B499gf-HPyvS4-y84cXJ-zbYKHL-eivAL6

Although that rake is RMC hoppers, I seem to remember the National Power hoppers being used aswell.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 3

I remember seeing a National Power Lima 59 in my local model shop when it first came out; such a striking livery; by the time I had the resources to buy it (with other railway spending priorities), it had sold out. Then the limitations of the Lima 59 became clear. With this top spec version I'm very very tempted to go for the NP one!

Edited by G-BOAF

• RMweb Gold

I remember seeing a National Power Lima 59 in my local model shop when it first came out; such a striking livery; by the time I had the resources to buy it (with other railway spending priorities), it had sold out. Then the limitations of the Lima 59 became clear. With this top spec version I'm very very tempted to go for the NP one!

Iirc the Lima model was released to the public before the real thing was released to traffic.

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm. The cab front yellow panel as seen in the Warley photos looks a great improvement, but still looks a bit washed out in the Hatton's photos, although i presume both sets of photos are of the same models. A Class 59 is too modern for me, but if that Warley yellow is rolled out on the next Western releases I will be happy.

I wonder if we will see separate plates included for all the plates as fitted to the real thing (number/name/makers plate)?

Also I see the Rails pre-order delivered price is set at £121 - I wonder if this will stay that way. In modern times thats on the better side of some of the prices we have been seeing recently (especially for a new model).

Edited by sanspareil

For comparison, the 68 starts at £131 so it isn't too far off this and probably has a less complex circuit board.

Lets hope it stays this way - prices have been going up circa 10% year on year (as seems to be the norm now). Next year the 68 could be nearer £140 if there was another batch making the 59 seem 'cheap' if it sticks at £121 (the first 68 batch was about 10% cheaper than the second IIRC).

I wonder if you pre-order now if a retailer honours that price even if next year Dapol lift the price before release?

Edited by sanspareil

• 1 month later...

Hi there.

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me, a little ...

I'm tossing the coin between a Hattons 66 and a Dapol 59.

I like 'gimmicks' or gadgets, so the more the merrier, if they work that is!!

I also have a small 'fleet' of EWS locos.

Is there any chance of Dapol adding an EWS 59 in the future, or is this it, do you think / know?

Al.

PS: I like the NP livery of the available selection - doubt they were ever that clean, for long!!

They ran in EWS for some time, so I think it is a sensible livery to produce & I would therefore expect to see it at some time.

The EWS 66 looks like it will be with us first.

Do you want something which looks ok anywhere or do you want something a little more unusual? There are a lot more 66s than 59s & their scope of operation is a lot more diverse.

17 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Is there any chance of Dapol adding an EWS 59 in the future, or is this it, do you think / know?

I would imagine that Dapol will get around to doing an EWS 59 at some point, maybe in the second batch, who can say?  You might be better off asking Dapol directly, or at least via their forum over at Dapol Digest...  ;)

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium

I suspect it's highly likely other liveries will follow - but as always, they won't do everything at once, and the first ones haven't arrived yet.  With the exception of "one-off" things like the Rapido APT-E, it's fairly normal that manufacturers release other liveries as time goes on (look at the Lima/Hornby 59, and how many versions have been released over the years...).  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Cant wait for these models to come out. Modelling modern image Cornwall hoping to get the DB Schenker one so I can model the Burngullow Sand trains that occasionally ran with 59s around 2011-2013.

Hoping Dapol do an Aggregate Industries one in their second batch as they were also used on the Burngullow Sand too (plus its my favourite livery on the 59)

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/03/2019 at 03:00, MGR Hooper! said:

End of Q2/Beginning of Q3 2019

Excuse my ignorance but I've never understood the Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 timings. 

Are they basically the year split into quarters?

E.g. Q1 would be Jan/Feb/Mar

Q2 would be April/ May/ June 

Etc.

31 minutes ago, Connor43002 said:

Excuse my ignorance but I've never understood the Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 timings. 

Are they basically the year split into quarters?

E.g. Q1 would be Jan/Feb/Mar

Q2 would be April/ May/ June 

Etc.

That’s exactly right.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...