Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

32 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Rotating axle boxes like Hattons 66?

Yes. See: https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/main-forum/diesel-aa/class-59/project-managers-blog-aq/2045-oo-class-59-e-p 

Andy Dapol says "The photos show the general view of the model, including the rotating axle stubs and 'posable' cab doors."

Also, note to images above. I was advised yesterday these are still the livery sample seen before, with revised schemes expected soon. 

• Like 2

There's something not quite right about the strip that runs the length of the solebar. It doesn't just stop short of the door, it's quite a complicated shape actually. Although not right, the Lima version was closer in this respect

Jo

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Steadfast said:

There's something not quite right about the strip that runs the length of the solebar. It doesn't just stop short of the door, it's quite a complicated shape actually. Although not right, the Lima version was closer in this respect

Jo

Yes, true. In fact, it doesn't seem to run underneath the door as it should do. It should then widen for the section between the doors.

The prototype photo below shows this well (if you compare it with the shots above of the model of 59206).

That said, will it stop me buying a few....? Almost certainly not!

Guy

8428613699_746f4ddf97_b.jpg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:40, No Decorum said:

More the other way around. Dapol announced them first, although may not be the first to produce them.

Hornby for one had the feature on the GE U25C/U28C models produced by their Rivarossi brand a few years ago.

46 minutes ago, lyneux said:

Yes, true. In fact, it doesn't seem to run underneath the door as it should do. It should then widen for the section between the doors.

The prototype photo below shows this well (if you compare it with the shots above of the model of 59206).

Guy

I see what Jo is saying, the bodyside strip should extend beyond the cab door handle recesses to just up to the curve of the door aperture and the strip under the cab should meet it. I know not enough of the prototype if this changed over the build period.

Much as I'm blissfully ignorant of Derby Type 2 design that Barwell's Rat looks fine to me, I think (in for a NP in the first run, EWS later, maybe) I'll live with it. Not to say those concerned shouldn't make Dapol aware if it can be corrected at this stage, natch. 

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T

And in N it'll be even less noticeable when I buy mine :P

It's a little thing, but something I noticed straight away in the shots from Ally Pally as I'm on and off the things several times a shift

Jo

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Hornby for one had the feature on the GE U25C/U28C models produced by their Rivarossi brand a few years ago.

If we’re talking about separately moulded axleboxes, ive a Proto 2000 fleet here that’s had them since y2k, and opening doors too. Nice to see UK rtr outline catching up.

(Though the class 50 from Hornby has also had similar features (posable doors/vents etc) just as long.. when I look under the hood of a 50 I see enough to convince me there’s a design overlap with Proto 2000).

looking forwards to the class 59, lest not forget the wagon to go with it !

Edited by adb968008

The Dapol model looks good ,although I agree the strip which bizzarley stops just before the doors! it seems also that theyve done similar to Bachmann with the solebar supports moulded as solid objects and not "struts" and what looks to be moulded on detail. The bottom ledge of the solebar also lacks thickness as well. Sadly even on the newer samples, theyve failed to correct the different sized headlight and taillights on the 59/0 model, a pity as only a minor thing but it looks odd. Despite that credit where its due, is it looks much better than the aging Lima and Limby 59

NL

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, daz9284 said:

Models looking absolutely fantastic.

Hope the models above are not supplied with the valances and the 59/0 59/1 and DB 59/2's don't have buckeyes.

Am I missing the sarcasm here...?  Or else why would you not want them to be supplied with detailing parts?!

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

If we’re talking about separately moulded axleboxes, ive a Proto 2000 fleet here that’s had them since y2k, and opening doors too. Nice to see UK rtr outline catching up.

(Though the class 50 from Hornby has also had similar features (posable doors/vents etc) just as long.. when I look under the hood of a 50 I see enough to convince me there’s a design overlap with Proto 2000).

looking forwards to the class 59, lest not forget the wagon to go with it !

Before this gets out of hand, we were comparing Dapol’s 59 and Hatton’s 66.

On 27/03/2019 at 23:39, JDW said:

Am I missing the sarcasm here...?  Or else why would you not want them to be supplied with detailing parts?!

because the DB and yeoman models in the pictures have valances with holes in for the buckeye release pull handle and it was only the NP 59/2 that had buckeyes, hence i hope the models above don't come with the valance pictured. i.e hope they come with a solid valance.

• Thanks 1

On 27/03/2019 at 17:33, lyneux said:

Guy

1) when you guys are on aboue the solebar strip are you refering to the orange cant line at the top of the loco

2) also the door handles are the wrong way round! in the picture they are on the left of the door but on the model they are on the right!

• RMweb Premium

Ah, that makes more sense, you meant not the valances pictured, as the 59/0s etc don't have the holes, not just not with the valances!  

EDIT to answer cross-posting with @daz9284

The cab doors are "handed", the handle is always on the side of the door closest to the "long" cab, if that makes sense.  In the picture just above, both sets of handles on that side will be on the left hand side of the door.  On the opposite side, they are on the right hand side.  

The solebar is the strip along the bottom of the bodyside.  In this case, it is the area around the bottom of the cab door that is within the grey-painted band that is in question.

Edited by JDW

• RMweb Gold

I took a couple of photos with my iPhone of 59003 last week whilst it was stabled at Eastleigh. It is of course in GBRf livery but looking at the position of the door handles you can see that both sets are on the right side of the door on this side of the loco.

Hope its of some use.

all the best 

Godfrey

59003-1IMG_4467.jpg

59003-2IMG_4461.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JDW said:

Ah, that makes more sense, you meant not the valances pictured, as the 59/0s etc don't have the holes, not just not with the valances!  

EDIT to answer cross-posting with @daz9284

The cab doors are "handed", the handle is always on the side of the door closest to the "long" cab, if that makes sense.  In the picture just above, both sets of handles on that side will be on the left hand side of the door.  On the opposite side, they are on the right hand side.  

The solebar is the strip along the bottom of the bodyside.  In this case, it is the area around the bottom of the cab door that is within the grey-painted band that is in question.

thanks for the clarification about the door handles being the correct way round.

regarding the solebar, can someone please pinpoint the problem with the bottom of the door as I can't see it (confused)

many thanks

Darryl

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure @ChuffChuff won't mind me using his photo to illustrate what I think is the point being raised: 

1180394374_Dapol59_2.jpg.7b8f526d3f8dcdbb981305fdd5fbf3ff.jpg

Edit/Correction: see @Hilux5972's post and picture a little further down this page.

Edited by JDW
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, JDW said:

I'm sure @ChuffChuff won't mind me using his photo to illustrate what I think is the point being raised: 

This is what I find most irritating about this forum. Why did you not flag this up to Dapol, either directly or through the Digest, when you first saw the EP - or even the CADS? Way to late now to correct! OK I am mainly irritated at myself for not noticing. I was too busy counting every grill hole to make sure they were accurate...

On 29/03/2019 at 22:24, daz9284 said:

1) when you guys are on aboue the solebar strip are you refering to the orange cant line at the top of the loco

Can we just clear up some loco anatomy here.  The solebar is the bottom edge of the bodyside.   The cantrail is the top.