Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

It's all gone very quiet on this thread!!

Delivery Day's starting to get quite close now isn't it - October still the 'D-Day'?

Al.

After Christmas now. I think Dapol are trying to ensure the lighting circuitry is right before production.

I would prefer them late and right. 

• Agree 2

Wife isn't going to batter me until after Christmas - great!!

Another New Year in relative peace!!

Accurascale 55, Mk5 Coaches, Class 59, Class 66 coming ... so it's the 66 first then ....

In view of the relative similarities - apart from the doors - was the Hattons' delay with the 66 related to the new delay on the 59?

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/09/2019 at 16:28, NIRCLASS80 said:

After Christmas now. I think Dapol are trying to ensure the lighting circuitry is right before production.

I would prefer them late and right. 

Yes. More important that it is right. Did you hear about the delay from Dapol?

• 1 month later...
On 08/09/2019 at 20:07, atom3624 said:

Wife isn't going to batter me until after Christmas - great!!

Another New Year in relative peace!!

Accurascale 55, Mk5 Coaches, Class 59, Class 66 coming ... so it's the 66 first then ....

In view of the relative similarities - apart from the doors - was the Hattons' delay with the 66 related to the new delay on the 59?

Al.

Sounds like the Hattons 66 is going to be after Christmas as well now ...

Al.

Not messenger shooting ...

Looking at the Dapol website, there is no 'official update' since February 2019 within the News section.

I would have anticipated more ongoing and clear updates on the manufacturer's pages, and not simply from 'fellow enthusiasts' gleaning information.

Al.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Looking at the Dapol website, there is no 'official update' since February 2019 within the News section.

I’d be very surprised if they update anything on the website. I joined the digest 6 months ago and I am still waiting for it to be approved, despite many emails to them. Given up now. 

I hadn't realised how 'different' the 59 is from the 66!

Same generator power, more power to the traction motors, higher maximum tractive effort, etc.. ... basically by numbers alone it should list higher than the 66, shouldn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I've seen a few 'sob stories' during 59 development, and how much more 'finished' the 66 is - it's domination of the British rails proves that.

4 more cylinders than the 66 as well, so if Dapol do 80% the job Hattons have of the 66 sounds, it should be individual and special in it's own way.

If they can match the efforts of the 66's sounds will be something special.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

Developing my last post, Dapol were supremely impressive with the Class 68.

I wonder if the Class 59 can out-haul the Hatton's Class 66 - as is apparently possible 'in real life' when comparing maximum tractive efforts and historic loads hauled - when the 2 locomotives finally appear? !!!

Wonder what the weights will be.

The Hatton's 66 is already looking impressive, and what we've seen so far of Dapol, they keep upping their game .... should be interesting!!

Al.

• RMweb Gold
On 17/11/2019 at 10:39, atom3624 said:

I hadn't realised how 'different' the 59 is from the 66!

Same generator power, more power to the traction motors, higher maximum tractive effort, etc.. ... basically by numbers alone it should list higher than the 66, shouldn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I've seen a few 'sob stories' during 59 development, and how much more 'finished' the 66 is - it's domination of the British rails proves that.

4 more cylinders than the 66 as well, so if Dapol do 80% the job Hattons have of the 66 sounds, it should be individual and special in it's own way.

If they can match the efforts of the 66's sounds will be something special.

Al.

A class 59 is derived from the super successful SD40-2, a class which thousands were made, it started production in the 1970’s and was just about end of life when the class 59 variant was produced for the UK.

The class 66 is a variant of the SD70, which started production in 1992, so the technology was much fresher in the 66 than the 59...

That said success makes spare parts easier to find, so obtaining  SD40-2 spares probably isn't hard nor expensive if done now as the bulk of SD40-2’s are being withdrawn from secondary operators, but in 10 years it might be a little harder.

This is what your really comparing...

Taken in September 2002 at the London Ontario plant, I saw a bunch of Freightliner 66’s being constructed along side SD70’s.

88C18652-B8AF-40CA-B99B-E63F1F4A0FBF.jpeg.dc11577571572ba6e38657c47f67cf2d.jpeg

its worth noting SD70 construction ended after 13 years, in 2005, 5700 units built... Class 66 construction extended that life by more than a decade, to just a few years ago. SD40-2 was 3900 built, in a 17 year period, which also ended concurrently with the 59/2.

i’m sure had they have been available BR would have bought a large fleet of 59’s, but equally think the cost of the new tech class 66 would have put them off, iirc wasnt the 59 @£500k a piece but the class 66 @£1.25m.

I suspect in the long term class 66’s spares will increasingly come from the gene pool across Europe & Egypt, in the same vein I suspect our under utilised Class 67’s will someday feed Israels fleet of much higher utilised examples of  the same type (photographed here on sunday just passed).

4F50DAAD-5ACB-4989-B08E-8F0E4060E029.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

That said success makes spare parts easier to find, so obtaining  SD40-2 spares probably isn't hard nor expensive if done now as the bulk of SD40-2’s are being withdrawn from secondary operators, but in 10 years it might be a little harder.

Spare parts will likely be available for quite a while yet for most things.

The SD40-2 had quite a lot of commonality of parts amongst the GP38/GP39/GP40/SD38/SD39/SD40/SD45 and then the newer GP38-2/GP39-2/GP40-2/SD38-2/SD40-2 and then finally the GP50/SD50.  A lot of those units are still in use, particularly the 4-axle GP units given nothing new with 4-axles has been built in around 30 years (other than for passenger use).

The predecessors to those units, built around the 567 engine, are still in active use on shortlines today with no particular parts issues.

In many cases parts are actually still being made for those engines and components (likely in part because in addition to the rail use the EMD engines were also used in stationary and marine environments).

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I suspect in the long term class 66’s spares will increasingly come from the gene pool across Europe & Egypt, in the same vein I suspect our under utilised Class 67’s will someday feed Israels fleet of much higher utilised examples of  the same type (photographed here on sunday just passed).

The 710 engine used in the 66/67 will also likely have a long period yet of parts availability, CP is just receiving their SD70ACU units, rebuilt from SD90s, that use the 710 so 710 equipped equipment will be running for quite a while yet.

The Yeoman example will now be 59005, which has a different roof to the first 4 (005's roof is similar to the 59/1s).

They have mentioned that 003 will be done in a second batch in GBRf, so if they fix the roof for that it opens up the door for the other 4 in other liveries. 

source: https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/preorder/OO-Gauge-Preorder/Class_59_Preorder

Edited by stationroad
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19/11/2019 at 11:06, atom3624 said:

Developing my last post, Dapol were supremely impressive with the Class 68.

Al.

lets also hope Dapol learn from the 68 and listen to people on here / Dapol digest etc.

Dapol have had a habit recently of releasing finished products with wrong colours:

- the blue on the TPE 68 was too light

- the ends of the FL HIAs are silver/grey and not the released white

the decorated livery samples of the 59s have the greys wrong on the ARC model (it should be one grey and not two) and the blue on the NP 59 is too dark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, daz9284 said:

lets also hope Dapol learn from the 68 and listen to people on here / Dapol digest etc.

Dapol have had a habit recently of releasing finished products with wrong colours:

- the blue on the TPE 68 was too light

- the ends of the FL HIAs are silver/grey and not the released white

the decorated livery samples of the 59s have the greys wrong on the ARC model (it should be one grey and not two) and the blue on the NP 59 is too dark

Just to set the record straight........again....it’s a matter of record that due to a spate of abusive posts on this forum,Dapol withdrew its presence on RMWeb.Thus they communicate on their in house Digest and no longer one assumes “listen to people on here”.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry not the greatest shot of the JHA wagon, as there was a scrum as usual, so wasn’t able to stop and chat plus had a 4yr old who was hungry. There was no class 59 was on display that I saw.

49114065788_2cea9ae6b9_b.jpg

cheers Peter

Edited by Pedro32
Amended detail.

Hi All,

i was also advised the same availability as June 2020.

Unfortunately no class 59 model on display.

I did pick up the spec sheet on Saturday morning at Warley & I must say it does look good & am confident (deep intake of breath) it will be well worth the wait.

• Thanks 1