Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

On 27/03/2019 at 17:33, lyneux said:

Yes, true. In fact, it doesn't seem to run underneath the door as it should do. It should then widen for the section between the doors.

The prototype photo below shows this well (if you compare it with the shots above of the model of 59206).

That said, will it stop me buying a few....? Almost certainly not!

Guy

8428613699_746f4ddf97_b.jpg

Spotted this waiting at Willesden Junction today. 

It appears that Dapol are not far off the prototype...unless the prototype had been modified to fit the model?

20191126_150409.jpg

20191126_150412.jpg

• Like 3

Well spotted!

Looking at photos on Flickr, the slightly reduced height of the lip as it passes the door is a detail difference specific to just that door (not the other 3!) and specific to 59202, so it looks like a repair or modification. All of the other 59/2s have a full height lip as they pass the door.

As always, it pays to study photos and detail differences between individual members of the class.

Isn't research fun!

Guy

202 was the first of the production batch of 59/2s, perhaps a factory cockup?

It was also one of the pair that fell on its side at East Somerset Jn, but that was the other side so wouldn't affect that door

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 27/11/2019 at 10:40, Steadfast said:

202 was the first of the production batch of 59/2s, perhaps a factory cockup?

It was also one of the pair that fell on its side at East Somerset Jn, but that was the other side so wouldn't affect that door

Jo

surely 59201 was the first production of the 59/2's as it was delivered in 1995 when 202-206 were a seperate order and delivered in 1996?

Looks like it's me again ....

The Hatton's one is pretty close to 1st deliveries now, pre-production models are being handed out to 'selected testers' and they're generally absolutely superb .... 

Just wondering if they're close to 'pre-production' models over here at Dapol for the 59.

It's going to be fascinating to compare the 2 models.

If Dapol can maintain the advances they made with the 68, which they'll have to to compete, it'll be one interesting hobby all over again!!

Al.

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/11/2019 at 23:15, stationroad said:

The Yeoman example will now be 59005, which has a different roof to the first 4 (005's roof is similar to the 59/1s).

They have mentioned that 003 will be done in a second batch in GBRf, so if they fix the roof for that it opens up the door for the other 4 in other liveries. 

source: https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/preorder/OO-Gauge-Preorder/Class_59_Preorder

That's good news, the ones they are making now aren't current (or soon not going to be) so I aren't interested in them. But a GBRF 59003 is spot on, as I want a 59/0 ideally too as I have a load of 66s and at so want the older lights

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alan Oliver said:

Are they taking pre orders for 59003 I followed the link and it doesn’t take you to a preorder option? Thanks

I don't think so. The link just says they will be offering it. I aren't interested in the current offers but would have a GBRF one in a flash

• Agree 4

I did get a reply from Dapol ... a couple of days ago.

Andy mentioned there had been a couple of issues, but that the liveries had been amended ... finishing with the bottom line:

There will be a full update once we have production and delivery forecasts.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

I did get a reply from Dapol ... a couple of days ago.

Andy mentioned there had been a couple of issues, but that the liveries had been amended ... finishing with the bottom line:

There will be a full update once we have production and delivery forecasts.

Al.

That doesnt sound like they are anywhere close to being on the boat yet.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I doubt they will get anywhere near a boat for a while now,Hattons 66 is still not niggle free so i guess they will be watching that and with this health issue i doubt we will see it before Warley

I did ask on there facebook page if there axle box was ok and they say there EP has been good.Its a more one off model than the 66 but if its like the Hattons model once the chassis is right its the body that has all the variation and they can bash out them at will to make the livery variations.

Agreed that the 59 is more of a one-off model than the 66 but on the other hand, there already exists a decent model of a 66 but only a badly dated model of a 59. It’s only my personal view (as I keep saying) but the 59 was a big gap in the market whereas the 66 wasn’t.

Dapol is quite right to take the time needed to get it right. I want something the standard of a 68 and, dare I say it, a bit better than the new 66.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I know they are not a direct comparison but I guess Dapol are looking at the Hatton 66 niggles and making sure that they do not appear on their 59. It would make sense to do so especially if the detail on this loco is up there with the Hattons 66.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Keeping this thread 'alive', for what should be a superb addition to the fleet.

Any 'latest news' on possible deliveries?

Any updates on specific details - problems resolved, etc?

Al.

I'd be keen to know more about GBRF 59003 since it's supposedly following on!

• 2 weeks later...

I get a reply between 1 and 6 weeks after I post on there - poor support.

It should be advancing - let's hope the Q3 estimate is accurate, particularly bearing in mind other 'global considerations'.

The latter are much more important than 'toy trains', so let's get this over with.

Al.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well after the sound 66 release from Hattons im so looking forward to seeing this arrive.the only hope is that it has got the drivelock feature on its sound functions like the 66

If anyone from Dapol reads and takes note off these threads perhaps you can shed light on what to expect as i know you had 59003 for a lend to get genuine files off a real one

I would rather have a non sound and have a Leggobiffo fitting option than sound without it as its the game changer to realistic sound moving these heavy trains especially.

• Like 1