Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

• RMweb Premium
On 28/04/2020 at 13:11, TomScrut said:

Also worth noting the selling price for these is also quite a bit cheaper than the Hattons 66 if the pre order prices are anything to go by.

Yes, but these were announced in the days of pre decimalisation....

• Funny 2

A livery for Dapol to potentially produce/consider in the future now that there is a real life Class 59 carrying it.

I see that there are images starting to appear on the web of the newly painted G&W Freightliner 59206

These are NOT my photos but i found on Flickr and they have been made Public

59206 fresh from the paint shop Toton T.M.D. - Acton approaches Wellingborough 30.04.2020

And another one of 59206 in between 59204 & 59205: 

Freightliner 59204 + 59206 + 59205

Samuel.

• Like 2

On 28/04/2020 at 12:17, adb968008 said:

nice model and i’m looking forwards to it,  but It was some time ago I held the 59’s now... it was 18month since the paint sample at Warley !

I recall it has etched roof grills and rotating axle boxes, and separate sand box pipe work etc, opening doors, a lot of separate pipework on the underframe and bogies are separately attached pieces.. dont under sell it.. its up there with their class 68 !

...you cant see the air dam & frame joins on the 59, and horn grills on the 59 looked more flush than on the Hattons 66.

But its a long time between the 2018 EP to today. 

Yeah, I'm mostly with you on all of that, the horn grilles are indeed more flush-fitting on the Dapol 59, but I think that's pretty much in line with the prototype: 

5887970395_cce2c88525_3k.jpg59206 by rob50037, on Flickr

66 horn grilles are more pronounced in reality:

49769851733_b034ea329d_3k.jpgBallast for Burngullow by Steadfast Fotography, on Flickr

The only things that jar visually on the 59 for me are the noticeable gaps that the separately-fitted cab doors create.  And I do feel that the bodyside grilles might have been much nicer if etched. 

From the samples that you pictured above, I do remember the DB liveried version appeared by far the most realistic-looking in terms of paint finish, whilst I was slightly deflated for some reason with the ARC grey/mustard variant, as somehow the overall finish appeared, to my eye at least, a bit 'plastic-looking'.  I really couldn't work out why, maybe it's the fact that the bogies and underframe are all grey too - it almost looked as though they had been moulded in grey plastic - it wouldn't be the first time that Dapol have done this - but truly hope I am horribly wrong in this instance!  The bodyside grilles all being yellow with nothing to really pick them out against the main body also didn't really seem to generate any life in the overall look - something that etched grilles may well have achieved.   As I said though, the DB Schenker finish seemed very, very pleasing and really seemed to bring the model to life.  I guess we will all see on the final models!        

Al 

Edited by YesTor

ADB968008, since we seem to be re-visiting page 11 of the thread all over again, I'll post a link to my photo of (left to right) my re-sprayed 59 (Phoenix colours) against 'stock' Lima and Hornby:

IMG_5189.jpg

Sorry, but the yellow on the Hornby is nothing like the ARC mustard in the photos you posted above. I think Lima were closer than Hornby to 'correct'.

Also, note that Dapol seem to have painted their decorated samples with different grey on the roof than the sides of the cab (quite apparent from your photo).

It'd be good to see some decorated samples from Dapol that are different from the ones they showed back in November 2018.

Guy

• Like 4

Guest Half-full
18 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I think they probably waited to see how the Hattons 66 faired before releasing this ,so i hope it goes better as its been so long promised.Time will tell.

Why would they wait?  Its a completely different loco, may 'look' the same, but its a totally different machine

7 minutes ago, Half-full said:

Why would they wait?  Its a completely different loco, may 'look' the same, but its a totally different machine

Only reason I can think of is to do with rotating axle boxes which are a fairly new thing. But I can't see that being a big enough of an issue to have a business decision to deliberately delay things. Because whilst as you say they are different machines, I do think they are competing models, if the Dapol 59 had beaten the Hattons 66 to release that might have taken a few £150s off Hattons which would have been in Dapols favour. The way round it is more 66s may have been bought because there is no 59 yet.

• Agree 1

Guest Half-full
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

Only reason I can think of is to do with rotating axle boxes which are a fairly new thing. But I can't see that being a big enough of an issue to have a business decision to deliberately delay things. Because whilst as you say they are different machines, I do think they are competing models, if the Dapol 59 had beaten the Hattons 66 to release that might have taken a few £150s off Hattons which would have been in Dapols favour. The way round it is more 66s may have been bought because there is no 59 yet.

You could say that about any model though, if folk want a 59, they wont buy a 66!  I see where you are coming from though with the 'Ooooh shiny, must have it now' bridgade

Rotating axle-boxes aren't that new on North American loco's and stock!

22 minutes ago, Half-full said:

You could say that about any model though, if folk want a 59, they wont buy a 66!

Yes, I want one or two of these (depending on what liveries they do next time) for the exact reason it's not a 66! But even if Dapol had officially announced 59003 (which they have sort of said they are doing at some point) and given a timescale on it I might not have bought 66756, I wanted something in the GBRF EP livery while it's still relevant.

24 minutes ago, Half-full said:

Rotating axle-boxes aren't that new on North American loco's and stock!

Yes I meant in the context of the UK market but should have stipulated that!

I hope with all the delay they announce FL and GBRF ones! I'd buy both of them, not bothered about the ones they have announced unfortunately.

I do know it's not their fault DB sold them in the meantime and there is a period of relevance for that livery (even now some are debranded).

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I hope with all the delay they announce FL and GBRF ones! I'd buy both of them, not bothered about the ones they have announced unfortunately.

I do know it's not their fault DB sold them in the meantime and there is a period of relevance for that livery (even now some are debranded).

A debranded one could be quite nice since they ran like that for a little while. Would mean minimal cost to Dapol as well

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Easy to renumber 206 to any of the other 59,2 as i doubt the rest will be done to quick,they may do it themselves before release and do the GBRF 59003 and some Hanson or Aggregrate Industry liveried ones,plenty to do and all are popular to model.Would have prefered this out before the 66 to be honest.

26 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

as i doubt the rest will be done to quick

No but as I do try and keep things current (and I aren't looking for an argument about the supposed futility of this) I don't want to knowingly buy a loco that's going to be reliveried before long.

28 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Hanson

This would be great, preferable to

28 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Aggregrate Industry

Purely because Bachmann have done AI in the 66. Also worth noting it's about the cheapest 66 available at the moment which given its celebrity status (numerous 59s in that livery, just one 66) doesn't say much for the popularity of the livery.

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Masked up ready to lose the Europorte roundels.

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries 2020/G202005/20200515ArlingtonEastleighWorks/eastleighworks15thmay20207.html

I never thought they sat very well on the 59 and 66s, the simple blue and orange blocks looking much nicer on the body shape

Jo

Well I am glad that I got 66756 in EP, as I quite like it. I was thinking I'd have 59003 in it when Dapol do it but I bet they'll do it in the modified livery (and agree that it's what they should do).

6 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

When Dapol do 59003 it will be interesting to see if/how they model the top centre headlight, or if (like Hornby) they just put a sticker in its place?

Let's hope they have tooled it properly. Otherwise they may as well just pick another 59 to do instead. The Hornby one gets away with it as it's about £65 after discount! This is over £130 after discount.

That could be why they haven't announced it yet, get the main vehicle sorted out and released then do a tooling mod for 003?

Guest Half-full
7 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

When Dapol do 59003 it will be interesting to see if/how they model the top centre headlight, or if (like Hornby) they just put a sticker in its place?

I very much doubt that would happen.  The Hornby model dates from when it was tooled by Lima 30 years ago or so, the Dapol one will be highly detailed like the rest of their recent releases

• RMweb Premium

Another livery to have a go at - and in my opinion the worst yet to be carried by the class! OK, it stands out for being bright, but it's hardly on a par with the original National Power sceme, or the neat and purposeful Yeoman and ARC liveries. 

http://www.hondawanderer.com/59206_Hungerford_Common_2020.htm

• Agree 2