Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Given its a model five years in the making, whats another delay. Getting close to half the time it took for certain kernow models to appear (ok we know why) but 5 years of development it had better be flawless in each and every way

2 hours ago, LaGrange said:

5 years of development it had better be flawless in each and every way

Or what? People are going to start panic buying Hornby ones?

The amount of time taken to develop is irrelevant to its success IMO. It will boil down to what it's like and whether people will pay the price for whatever it is (flaws or not).

I.e. if somebody wants a OO 59 there are two places to get one and unless Dapol make an absolute screw up of it then I doubt it will be a disaster. It's not like Hattons with their 66 which despite all the noise has still probably done quite well and it does have a better placed competitor than the Hornby alternative (which is all there is with the 59)

If they were making one I wanted (i.e. in current livery) I'd have my name down.

• Agree 2

On 22/12/2020 at 19:38, TomScrut said:

Or what? People are going to start panic buying Hornby ones?

The amount of time taken to develop is irrelevant to its success IMO. It will boil down to what it's like and whether people will pay the price for whatever it is (flaws or not).

I.e. if somebody wants a OO 59 there are two places to get one and unless Dapol make an absolute screw up of it then I doubt it will be a disaster. It's not like Hattons with their 66 which despite all the noise has still probably done quite well and it does have a better placed competitor than the Hornby alternative (which is all there is with the 59)

If they were making one I wanted (i.e. in current livery) I'd have my name down.

Myself personally.... no i won't go and panic buy Hornby class 59s, i already have plenty of Lima examples, what i will do however is spend my hard earnt cash on Hornby class 60s and Hattons and/or Bachmann class 66s....

The amount of time this model is taking is really starting to take the pi$$, as someone said above, the real ones took less time.

Whilst reading some old Rail Express magazines from September 2016 there are some pics of the Dapol class 59 test shots , so I think to myself , I've not seen these advertised , I must have missed something here , so a quick look on Hattons .... Surprise they are not even made and are due  in Q2 2021 ! Over four years in production !  Any wonder the likes  of Accurascale are doing well , oh and they once promised a BBA wagon ...bet they wished they had now , although they would not have made  any money because it would still be work  in progress , shocking just glad they don't fix cars !

2 hours ago, letterspider said:

Now I can understand why they don't engage with this forum....

They used to. Some bloke called Dave from memory. Whatever happened to him?

Seriously though, they have a ‘good egg’ with Andy involved so let’s all be patient a bit longer. I think they genuinely want to get this one right so credit to them. Hopefully not too much longer to wait. I’ve almost resigned myself to repainting the ARC mustard now whatever shade it arrives as. Yellow is clearly a tough colour to get right.

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

It'll take as long as it takes. Maybe they have prioritised other things, maybe there have been ore changes, maybe they need to wait for production slots, who knows - at the end of the day, if anyone is that desperate for a model of a class 59, detail a Lima one or manufacture one yourself. It's hardly end-of-the-world stuff. It's not that long ago that one new diesel/electric model every few years was the norm. I'm sure no one has a train of aggregate on their layout that is so urgently required at the opposite side of the room that a while longer won't hurt.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, JDW said:

I'm sure no one has a train of aggregate on their layout that is so urgently required at the opposite side of the room that a while longer won't hurt.

Its the expense of buying 12 Hattons 66,s when 4 of these should do the trick,modern image is so popular so i hope they bring us some up to date G&W and 59003 in GBRF with the initial batch,only 4 axle ends to get right on these too,they have had six years or so to get it correct so it should be a step up in modern diesel models hopefully

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, JDW said:

It'll take as long as it takes. Maybe they have prioritised other things, maybe there have been ore changes, maybe they need to wait for production slots, who knows - at the end of the day, if anyone is that desperate for a model of a class 59, detail a Lima one or manufacture one yourself. It's hardly end-of-the-world stuff. It's not that long ago that one new diesel/electric model every few years was the norm. I'm sure no one has a train of aggregate on their layout that is so urgently required at the opposite side of the room that a while longer won't hurt.

well funny you say that, but for years we had 1970’s style 4wheelers for aggregate then suddenly we've had a plethora of class 59’able wagons...

5 hours ago, JDW said:

I'm sure no one has a train of aggregate on their layout that is so urgently required at the opposite side of the room that a while longer won't hurt.

Well, I’m using double headed 56s at the moment which is working reasonably well but their availability is atrocious. If only I had something that was as reliable as the GM switcher I recently acquired.

Still, I’ve just ordered some aluminium bodied hoppers from Procor that should be turning up any day now which should allow me to increase loads whilst retaining the same axle loading. Not sure I can do away with PGAs just yet though...

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
On 10/08/2020 at 17:10, lyneux said:

Makes sense now! Sorry, I didn't get that based on what was written. I thought he meant 59005!

Just to follow up on the introduction date, I've got the Jane's Rail Special on the 59s open in front of me. The first revenue earning 59 operation was Monday 17th February 1986 with two trains, the 07.00 Merehead -Theale and the 10.03 Merehead-Eastleigh.

So February and not May 1986. Given they only arrived in the country on 21st January that year that was less than 4 weeks to have them commissioned, tested and put into service. Not bad!

Guy

I happened to be in the area on 17/2/86, purely by chance, and saw the second train behind 59003, passing Westbury.

Feb 86 6 (4).jpg

Edited by Tim Hall
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tim Hall said:

saw the second train behind 59003, passing Westbury

Oh how that scene has changed since!

Unless it was routed the long way round to Eastleigh via Swindon and Basingstoke, I reckon that's more likely the very first train. The Eastleigh would run round in the down yard or down reception before disappearing up the bank towards Warminster.

Jo

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Oh how that scene has changed since!

Unless it was routed the long way round to Eastleigh via Swindon and Basingstoke, I reckon that's more likely the very first train. The Eastleigh would run round in the down yard or down reception before disappearing up the bank towards Warminster.

Jo

You might be right.

I assumed it wasn't the first train, as it would have been late morning, as I'd travelled by train from Wolverhampton via New St and Bristol. I have no other details, my note taking being usually just locos seen and/or ridden behind.

On 24/12/2020 at 14:29, letterspider said:

Not helpful comments

The Class 68 is a great model, the 122 can now be had for a good price,  the 2nd batch 73 sorted out the problems of the 1st and with new liveries.

Now I can understand why they don't engage with this forum....

Ok, let’s only do helpful comments 

- I like everything you’ve ever made 

- it doesn’t matter if I’m actually dead by the time you produce model XYZ

- I’m sorry we upset you, please don’t go off in a teenage huff .

Get real. They are a company making a product a lot of you have been waiting for. For a long time.

As for engaging with the forum. A double edged sword I feel, as Hattons have found out. They were all for interaction when they announce stuff , but when it goes wrong they just shut down the communication and don’t do anymore at all .

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Get real. They are a company making a product a lot of you have been waiting for. For a long time.

Yes they have, and only they know the reasons why it has taken so long. I aren't in a rush for a 59, I'll buy one when they turn up if they are decent (and in a livery I want).

52 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

As for engaging with the forum. A double edged sword I feel, as Hattons have found out. They were all for interaction when they announce stuff , but when it goes wrong they just shut down the communication and don’t do anymore at all .

Exactly, I think they should have taken the rough with the smooth. I like the levels of interaction we get from other manufacturers on here, and it's a shame if they run away when things go a bit sour. OTOH I don't understand people on here complaining about it to the extent they have when they have been able to get their money back very easily if they were not up to standard. I think the issue is people see it as more than "pay X and get Y", because of whatever emotional investment they have in it. A bit like people complaining about how long things take to turn up I suppose, if people haven't forked out cash for something that hasn't turned up yet then really why does it matter more than "I want it now"?

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I’m trying to do a little working out of livery timescales of the Class 59.

I currently have the DB one on order to haul my Accurascale VTG Grey Tipplers, however I now realise that DB didn’t appear until after the tipplers were withdrawn.

So, my choice now is a Yeoman 59 or go for something else, however I’m not sure when the Yeoman Livery being offered by Dapol changed to the broad ‘blue stripe’ Yeoman livery. Does anyone have a date?

(Ideally I want a Hanson one to recreate the Loco I had a cab ride  on between Westbury and Acton when I joined NWR, but that isn’t an option at the moment, and no I’m not going for the Hornby model!)

Simon

• RMweb Gold
On 07/01/2021 at 23:15, St. Simon said:

Hi,

I’m trying to do a little working out of livery timescales of the Class 59.

I currently have the DB one on order to haul my Accurascale VTG Grey Tipplers, however I now realise that DB didn’t appear until after the tipplers were withdrawn.

So, my choice now is a Yeoman 59 or go for something else, however I’m not sure when the Yeoman Livery being offered by Dapol changed to the broad ‘blue stripe’ Yeoman livery. Does anyone have a date?

(Ideally I want a Hanson one to recreate the Loco I had a cab ride  on between Westbury and Acton when I joined NWR, but that isn’t an option at the moment, and no I’m not going for the Hornby model!)

Simon

59206 was in DBS red in Jan 2009, according to this image

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Class_59_no_59206_-_DB_Schenker.jpg

Grey Tipplers were running in 2015 according to Accurascales train formations.

So thats 6 years overlap.

After Yeoman stone they were used on sea dredged aggregates (cant imagine salt water contaminated sand would have been good for an aging wagon).

The Dapol choices, DB aside, are all the original liveries (Blue on the National Power one so far looks quite suspect). I’m hoping myself they may pick up on a few more liveries by the time they are released.

I saw 59001 in revised Yeoman in 2003... so original livery was going then.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1