Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

The Class 59 is too small a class for a deliberate duplication of high end models - likely a guarantee that neither party would make money - particularly as Dapol could up the priority of the 59 if they heard someone else was doing new tooling and beat them to market (and China frequently doesn't keep secrets).

Hornby could throw out a run of ex-Lima models and that might take some sales, but the people wanting a quality 59 would in general still wait.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Despite my above comments, I also think the 59 will come out sooner rather than later - while it is possible Dapol have found it necessary to juggle priorities there is no getting around they have a large sum of money invested in the tooling - and they don't get the money to pay off that tooling until they actually sell some models.  So they do want to get the 59 to market.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, letterspider said:

I know this is a Class 59 thread but which one do you prefer?

I am happy with the Bachmann, I'm fed up with photo realistic details on some models they fall off all the time, although the Hattons is very good in this regard 

Its not that bad.

A bit of effort and they give much more. Once the steps and the hubs are on, they are trouble-free, pull the house down, and look the nuts.

I think the 59’s will be fine, but I think they should give thoughts to a few more liveries at this stage, given the elapsed time.

• Agree 4

• 4 weeks later...

Dapol digest has said that there is no further progress yet on the 59 and the colours are still left to be approved

Its as if the patience of everyone who has keenly waited for this model for the last FIVE years is being tested beyond reasonable limits

Open goal for another manufacturer at this rate

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, LaGrange said:

Dapol digest has said that there is no further progress yet on the 59 and the colours are still left to be approved

Screenshot_20210305-234310_Chrome.jpg.c4c0989f7dd6150806065d764e7bf4db.jpg

I don't quite read it the way you do unless you're talking about another post. They had problems, they resolved them, they are waiting final paint chips and then they will make them.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/02/2021 at 17:56, adb968008 said:

I think the 59’s will be fine, but I think they should give thoughts to a few more liveries at this stage, given the elapsed time.

Yep, I'd have an orange FL or 59003. Maybe not both as one would be a whim purchase.

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yep, I'd have an orange FL or 59003. Maybe not both as one would be a whim purchase.

if not, resprays is the next avenue..

59’s do seem to be hiding currently though, around our way we have daily Newhaven, Crawley, Ardingly, Purley, Tolworth.. though they havent been producing that many 59’s lately, indeed it looked like an EWS 66 hire in today on one.

Edited by adb968008

4 hours ago, LaGrange said:

Its as if the patience of everyone who has keenly waited for this model for the last FIVE years is being tested beyond reasonable limits

Open goal for another manufacturer at this rate

I honestly have no idea what post you saw...??? 

The one shared by Tom above is what I've seen as well. And that says nothing along the lines of what you said. 

A delay is a delay. You cannot do anything about it. Dapol are doing the right thing by sorting out issues that they found and making sure they are corrected. Is it a bad thing? Besides I do not know of any rule or law that states that a model should be released X number of years after it was announced. If it is delayed, there's a reason behind it. It's just a hobby... 

Open goal for another manufacturer? Are you serious?? That's more like financial suicide rather than an open goal. Any other manufacturer thinking that now is a good time to so a Class 59, is seriously putting their money into a risky project. 

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder if the delay is in part down to the decision to include a working exhaust as an option.  Personally I think that its an unnecessary novelty but Dapol obviously feel that there is a market for it & good luck to them for developing it.  I do agree with @adb968008 that Dapol might want to look at a couple of additional liveries to add to the release (Hanson & Aggregate Industries ideally) but in the mean time, I can wait.

• Like 1

Now look what you’ve done Ed! Poked the hornets nest.:dancer:

We first saw painted samples back in 2018. To be fair to Ed’s comment, it doesn’t take 3 years to get the decoration right even if there are problems. the O&K hoppers are now also due in July with no mention of why they are delayed.

I don’t know what problems they are having but at best it seems clear that Dapol are prioritising other projects over the 59 which is a shame for those who desperately want a whole stack of these!

Guy

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, lyneux said:

I don’t know what problems they are having but at best it seems clear that Dapol are prioritising other projects over the 59 which is a shame for those who desperately want a whole stack of these!

My reading of it, was the factory reprioritising things, not Dapol.

i.e. As it needed extra work, it missed the production slot and so went to the back of the queue or as such.

I just think getting that new spot, could have included new liveries, as if spots are hard to come by, getting new liveries might be a very long wait, using the yardstick of other manufacturers..

However, beggars cant be choosers, and the price is comparatively lower to where others are heading, so resprays may be the solution.

Edited by adb968008

How long is the process from signing off for production to release to the general public? Bearing In mind shipping and distribution seems to add around a month. If all goes well and no other problems are encountered could we be getting our 59’s by  autumn 2021.

Let’s hope we see the approved livery samples before they are sent for production as to get it wrong after all this time will not be particularly great.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, lyneux said:

We first saw painted samples back in 2018. To be fair to Ed’s comment, it doesn’t take 3 years to get the decoration right even if there are problems.

1 hour ago, lyneux said:

I don’t know what problems they are having

Exactly. We don't know what problems they are having. I don't think it has taken them 3 years to get some paint right.

If the tooling has been done then it is most likely paid for and so Dapol themselves will be wanting to claw that money back ASAP.

I expect it is that they are trying to innovate (unnecessarily IMO) on the the exhaust (as has already been suggested) and it has candied delays, OR there is some other problem such as the axle boxes.

Given they got slated when the 68 came out for problems, and Hattons did with a similar product with the 66, if they are being careful I can't say I blame them.

I get more annoyed with manufacturers constantly delaying stuff they have already got the ability to make TBH, and I think they are all guilty of that.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

A delay is a delay. You cannot do anything about it. Dapol are doing the right thing by sorting out issues that they found and making sure they are corrected. Is it a bad thing? Besides I do not know of any rule or law that states that a model should be released X number of years after it was announced. If it is delayed, there's a reason behind it. It's just a hobby... 

Yes and no. A good company should be able to manage the project to reduce delays and really should be building in time for sure delays into any estimates. There is no rule, but it annoys customers, increases pressure to have a PERFECT product and I'm sure if you ask anyone at Dapol they won't be happy about the delay caused. 

And add to that there will be people that have paid a deposit or even a "full price" pre-order which leaves people out of pocket and retailers potentially in an awkward position. 

There are unavoidable issues in life, but I don't think it's a problem holding companies to account when they miss several deadlines. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

On 06/03/2021 at 02:33, MGR Hooper! said:

Open goal for another manufacturer? Are you serious?? That's more like financial suicide rather than an open goal. Any other manufacturer thinking that now is a good time to so a Class 59, is seriously putting their money into a risky project. 

How come its taking them over 5 years to get close, its at the decorated sample stage now, pre Covid. I've seen and held the samples and given them fair observations on what needs fixing, this was almost 30 months ago, what's taken so long. Are you a potential customer for potentially several of them? 

Open Goal - Accurascale Manor perhaps? Its happening. Dont forget that a now defunct manufacturer announced a 59 and then withdrew it... 

• Like 7

Whilst it’s good to see Dapol correcting flaws, we haven’t seen samples since late 2018. I do hope when the 59 arrives we don’t see issues in quality or design like another super-detail locomotive with rotating axle boxes. I do hope that this time has been spent usefully, not just on the pointless (in my eyes) smoke system. Its almost getting to the stage that another manufacturer might have a crack. Hopefully we can have more of an insight soon, or maybes a surprise announcement with more liveries. An accurate release date would be interesting, noticed a magazine saying Q1 2021 in a recent post. Cheers. 

2 hours ago, LaGrange said:

How come its taking them over 5 years to get close, its at the decorated sample stage now, pre Covid. I've seen and held the samples and given them fair observations on what needs fixing, this was almost 30 months ago, what's taken so long. Are you a potential customer for potentially several of them? 

Open Goal - Accurascale Manor perhaps? Its happening. Dont forget that a now defunct manufacturer announced a 59 and then withdrew it... 

It is entirely possible that possible that another manufacturer could have been working on a 59 for 2-3 years and could appear at any time. That is not beyond the realms of fantasy and could well catch people out. Its happened before as well you all know.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, LaGrange said:

Accurascale were working on the Manor before the Dapol one was announced, a completely different situation. The fight was already (inadvertently) picked, the only decisions would be to run away or see if it could be won.

Whilst I cannot comment with any authority on whether the market could support 2 highly detailed 59s along with the Hornby offering (of which there are only 15 of the prototype and are generally quite limited in their geographical reach and work), I do think it would be a gutsy move by anybody to have a go at it.

1 hour ago, Wolf27 said:

It is entirely possible that possible that another manufacturer could have been working on a 59 for 2-3 years and could appear at any time. That is not beyond the realms of fantasy and could well catch people out. Its happened before as well you all know.

2-3 years ago the point above has a stronger argument, whilst there might have been some whinging about the timing of it back then, most of the people being vocal have been on about the lack of progress in that 2-3 period you're suggesting somebody could have been on with one.

4 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

Whilst it’s good to see Dapol correcting flaws, we haven’t seen samples since late 2018. I do hope when the 59 arrives we don’t see issues in quality or design like another super-detail locomotive with rotating axle boxes. I do hope that this time has been spent usefully, not just on the pointless (in my eyes) smoke system.

Exactly. I am not complaining about the timing in the hope it will be an excellent model, and I'd rather wait than it be like the one you're talking about (as much as I like that model I'd rather they had come a year later and been right). If it's a load of rubbish then the timing is irrelevant, I wouldn't be buying it now or in a year's time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2