Class 59 in 00

No Decorum

• RMweb Premium

Whilst a 59 sails very close to the "nothing in it for me" camp, I could be tempted by one if I backdate DL to the arrival days of them into the UK, or if another particular wish-listed model appears, I will purchase a 59/2 for a cameo appearance hauling HTAs out of Liverpool docks............

Unlike others, I have no reason to panic/froth regarding the arrival date.

They get here when they get here......

For the benefit of others - no white on white here guys!

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

They get here when they get here......

What do we want?

59’s, in the correct colours

when do we what them?

Sometime in the near future, whatever’s convenient with Dapol or the factory making then. A little while longer won’t hurt but hopefully not after someone else has beaten then to it,if that’s ok?

• Funny 10

4 hours ago, Winter123 said:

Did the Yeoman 59 ever run with the newer "striped" livery O&K JHA Wagons or vice versa? I understand Dapol are doing both livery of wagons which suggests that they will also consider the newer livered Class 59 in a future run.

59002 and 59004 would have run in silver with revised livery JHAs.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm still surprised that there was never a 59003 GBRf livery one announced, even as a limited edition or an exclusive to Rails etc.

I think that one can turn up anywhere and can be seen on the IOA wagons Dapol are re-releasing and the cavalex aggregate wagons as well as other bits, and without a lot of work done to the Hornby model which is miles off, although I did see someone put the effort (lots of it) in to get it right. The Dapol release would go down well with higher spec modellers.

8 minutes ago, XChris said:

I'm still surprised that there was never a 59003 GBRf livery one announced, even as a limited edition or an exclusive to Rails etc.

I think that one can turn up anywhere and can be seen on the IOA wagons Dapol are re-releasing and the cavalex aggregate wagons as well as other bits, and without a lot of work done to the Hornby model which is miles off, although I did see someone put the effort (lots of it) in to get it right. The Dapol release would go down well with higher spec modellers.

There was, modelrail mag said they had commissioned one, but you had to show your interest by liking the facebook post instead of popping down a deposit.... Not the best way of doing it. I politely declined given I'd not seen a sample........

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, XChris said:

59003 GBRf livery one announced

They did put on their website they recorded it and then were going to do it.

22 hours ago, LaGrange said:

There was, modelrail mag said they had commissioned one, but you had to show your interest by liking the facebook post instead of popping down a deposit.... Not the best way of doing it. I politely declined given I'd not seen a sample........

I didn't know that!

And yes doesn't sound like a very good way of doing it.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

They did put on their website they recorded it and then we're going to do it.

I didn't know that!

And yes doesn't sound like a very good way of doing it.

Gosh I didnt know that either...

is there a link ?

All I could find was this link saying they sound recorded 59003 at Eastleigh...

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/preorder/OO-Gauge-Preorder/Class_59_Preorder

But I thought 003 sounded different to the rest following repairs on return from Germany ?

Edited by adb968008

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

is there a link ?

But I thought 003 sounded different to the rest following repairs on return from Germany ?

That supersedes the model rail commission anyway. Having had 59003 for haulage on the mainline (GBRF 15 tour) there's a pronounced WHIRR off the traction motors but this wouldn't be a part of the sound recording.....

14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

is there a link ?

Yes, there is the following sentence on that page:

"We would like to take this opportunity to confirm that Dapol will model 59003 Yeoman Highlander the near future."

That's the page I meant.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, XChris said:

By anywhere do you mean anywhere between westbury and Eastleigh ;)

53 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Present tense probably, other than it's holiday in Doncaster a few months ago.

It did biomass for Drax for a short time AFAIK a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Its been living in Surrey the last 2 months. Running training turns around Kent and from Tonbridge to Colnbrook through south central London.

• Like 1

And driver training over there complete, it's back on the Westbury circuit again now.

Lots of unique features on 59003, the sound difference mentioned by @adb968008is in the lower power notches the engine revs hunt up and down a bit. All the others hold their revs.  From 25 seconds in on this video you can hear it, until the driver notches back down to idle around 35 seconds.

And from about 2:10 in the second video. The rattle in the exhaust silencer only features on certain 59s too

Clearest of all, this last video from 4:10

Compare to the steady revs at 16:10

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 13/03/2021 at 10:26, rob D2 said:

It’s spent most of its time there but it worked out of Barron Hill for a while, as @TomScrut says it had its holiday at Doncaster, it worked out of tonbridge recently, it’s done Biomass workings too, so has been a few more places along with its GBRf Railtours endeavours.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Was the 59 going to have rotating axle boxes, as per the Hattons 66? Just wondering if the delay is down to this being the problem, in the light of the Hattons 66. Looking at the packaging etc. of the Dapol 68's and the Hattons 66, it would appear they could be made in the same factory, and so the rotating axle box design could be the same. And so Dapol have held production to sort it out, so they don't end up with the same problems that Hattons have had with this feature. Tony.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

That could well be the hold up, I would have thought covid (unfortunately) has held things up too.

I'd rather wait for a finished product than receive one that requires rebuilding when it arrives...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

Was the 59 going to have rotating axle boxes, as per the Hattons 66? Just wondering if the delay is down to this being the problem, in the light of the Hattons 66. Looking at the packaging etc. of the Dapol 68's and the Hattons 66, it would appear they could be made in the same factory, and so the rotating axle box design could be the same. And so Dapol have held production to sort it out, so they don't end up with the same problems that Hattons have had with this feature. Tony.

The 59 only has four axle ends visable so less hassle than the 66, I did put a comment on Dapol facebook post on these when the Hattons 66 was first released and the reply from Joel Dapol was there EP had no issue with the rotating axes.

Hopefully its better made than the Hattons 66 as in engineering terms gluing plastic end on a rotating shaft and expecting it to run true is silly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

In HO scale land, an Athearn model (SD90 possibly?) has also had issues with popping off and or missing axle box end parts which has led to much ranting and raving on certain areas of social media. 

Same factory as the Hattons 66 perchance?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John M Upton said:

In HO scale land, an Athearn model (SD90 possibly?) has also had issues with popping off and or missing axle box end parts which has led to much ranting and raving on certain areas of social media. 

Athearn Genesis 2.0 SD60M, a £200 list price loco (DC no sound).

Ranting and raving not because of missing/falling off axle box covers, but because Athearn initially said sorry no spares available - which they have since reversed. 

Of course then a problem was found with the truck design/assembly causing issues...

• Informative/Useful 1